daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #31381
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Everything is bigger in Texas. Especially the 10+ centimeter hail stones.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #31382
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Meanwhile in Italy:
https://www.facebook.com/43156274365...8472775296820/
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

volodaaaa liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #31383
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
People are reporting widely fluctuating performance with the new Google Maps, and it doesn't seem to be related to system specs.

I dislike the new general layout and especially the way planned routes are mapped. I like the simplicity of simple A to B markers with a blue line. I don't want to see alternative routes unless I select them. Not to mention ridiculous transit alternatives.
That's the only gripe I have with the new Google Maps and I've used the new version for a year. I have no performance issues whatsoever but then again, I am running a fairly powerful desktop computer on a fast internet connection.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #31384
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

I've not used Google Maps in a while, but its frequent inability to give voice directions on iOS makes it next to useless for me.
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #31385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder what's it like to be hit by lightning in a car.

Old April 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #31386
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2281

Bad after effects, I expected the car to explode.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #31387
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Nothing much would happen. Being in a car is like being in a Faraday cage. The charge jumps to the car and then to the ground. Everybody is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit:
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #31388
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I'm considering whether to buy a used car from a relative. She's offering me a "first option" on her car, it has low mileage and that I know for a fact she and her husband are extremely careful maintaining it, and it comes with a family discount

I'm trying to work out the bureaucracy of importing it into Netherlands from Italy and how much tax will I have to pay if I go through.
Old April 29th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #31389
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Quote:
Everything is bigger in Texas. Especially the 10+ centimeter hail stones.
I really doubt public transport is bigger in Texas. So that's not everything .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #31390
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Hello from Minsk, Belarus, a buerocratic paradise.
Just to get and top-up an OBU for motorway toll payment for a passenger car took about half hour, ten papers and cca 20 signatures.
But this is nothing compared to entry at road border crossing
It is nice country with very friendly people, however.

cinxxx, x-type, italystf liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #31391
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Hello from Minsk, Belarus, a buerocratic paradise.
Just to get and top-up an OBU for motorway toll payment for a passenger car took about half hour, ten papers and cca 20 signatures.
But this is nothing compared to entry at road border crossing
It is nice country with very friendly people, however.
That is a territory I'd not drive in/into.
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #31392
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

It's not easy, that is true. But it's nothing dangerous, if you obey the rules. And order is here with a big O. Interesting to see and experience all this.

cinxxx liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #31393
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think the only really dangerous areas in Europe currently are Eastern Ukraine, some districts of Southern Russia (Chechnya, Dagestan,...) and Transnistria.
Visiting Russia and Belarus as independent tourist is challenging from a beaurocratic point of view, but not particularily dangerous in terms of violent crime. You should better don't talk of politics with strangers, anybody can be an undercover agent or something.
My father has visited Romania and Czechoslovakia with his car in 1977 and 1985 respectively, it was quite challenging but not dangerous.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #31394
Suburbanist
on the road

Reasons I'd avoid visiting Belarus, Ukraine or Russia with a car is that there are some horror stories about corrupt cops or car theft mafias colluding with cops, and some reports that, should you get involved in an accident, even if not at fault, you might be forced/extorted-in-practice to pay a lot of costs.
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #31395
Suburbanist
on the road

Back to the car I'm considering buying... I already hate how expensive diesel car taxes are here in Netherlands. And I'm afraid it will only get worse as countries target diesel cars for their particulate polution, even if gasoline cars are less fuel efficient and burn more CO2 (I know, not immediately comparable). I love the idea of having automatic transmission though.
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #31396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The CO2 tax on a diesel car in the Netherlands is about € 4,000 - 5,000 more than on a gasoline car, when both cars emit the same amount of CO2 per kilometer.

Combined with a triple road tax, that's why there are few private users of diesel cars in the Netherlands.

It's also a reason why automatic transmission is not as popular over here. They are heavier and consume more fuel (especially with smaller cars), resulting in a high CO2 tax. Unfortunately many car importers only import entrance-level engines. Many car models are not available with larger engines like in Germany, Belgium or France. For instance, the new Hyundai i10 is only offered with a 1.0 66 HP engine. Which is not enough for my liking, so my next car won't be the new generation i10 (I currently have a 1.2 L 85 HP Hyundai i10).
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #31397
bogdymol
bogdymod

Greetings from Scotland (half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh)! I drove over 1400 km in UK in the last 3 days.

@keber: cool trip you are doing. Maybe you'll share more with us when you have time.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #31398
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The CO2 tax on a diesel car in the Netherlands is about € 4,000 - 5,000 more than on a gasoline car, when both cars emit the same amount of CO2 per kilometer.

Combined with a triple road tax, that's why there are few private users of diesel cars in the Netherlands.

It's also a reason why automatic transmission is not as popular over here. They are heavier and consume more fuel (especially with smaller cars), resulting in a high CO2 tax. Unfortunately many car importers only import entrance-level engines. Many car models are not available with larger engines like in Germany, Belgium or France. For instance, the new Hyundai i10 is only offered with a 1.0 66 HP engine. Which is not enough for my liking, so my next car won't be the new generation i10 (I currently have a 1.2 L 85 HP Hyundai i10).
I'm doing the math there with info a friend knowledgeable sent me.

The car in question is a Meriva Diesel with automatic transmission. It was originally bought in another country, later registered in Italy and if I buy it I'll register it here. The problem is that the annual tax will be above what I'd expect to pay. It is a great car with a nice driving position for those who like to drive with legs flexed at a smaller angle. This one has only 14.000km driven so it's a good one.
Old April 30th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #31399
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

End of old GMaps for me.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #31400
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
End of old GMaps for me.