daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #31481
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

Either way googlemaps is useless for international trips as gps navigation. because it is online only. just for trip planning, there are also other alternatives even better (viamichelin...).
I use it exclusively for streetview.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #31482
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,766
Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Either way googlemaps is useless for international trips as gps navigation. because it is online only.
I think the 2000s are over, using mobile internet abroad has no more astronomical prices, especially inside the EU.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #31483
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,766
Likes (Received): 1039

Antwerp is on the banner today. At least I've learned that this city has an English name :-)
I visited Antwerp last week, here are some photos:
- City
- Public transport
I have never seen in Europe so many foreigners, Asian, Black, Arab people, many of them in traditional tribal clothes. I am not any way racist, however, sometimes I felt myself being in minority by being white and European, which was really weird.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #31484
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,610
Likes (Received): 19397

Dutch providers charge € 0.05 per megabyte in another EU country...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #31485
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,183

Romanian providers charge € 0.20 (+VAT 20%) per MB.
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #31486
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Alternative routing is absurd when normal route is really shortest and quite direct. For example take a look at proposed routes between Ljubljana and Zagreb, which are connected by direct motorway.


Which sane person would choose second variant?
But is there any better alternative routing for this route?

The main idea of this feature is to show the real alternatives, maybe in case of problems, or just to show the differences of time between them...

I personnaly don't really understand this flood of criticism, for me it do the work!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #31487
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Either way googlemaps is useless for international trips as gps navigation. because it is online only. just for trip planning, there are also other alternatives even better (viamichelin...).
I use it exclusively for streetview.
By reading your post, I wondered what Viamichelin looks like now, in 2015... (I remember this site as ugly, looking like a website from years 2000, and hard to use), and sadly it hasn't changed for me!

Also the maps are really old, for example in Romania they are from 2012 and they didn't shown the highway that opened the same year here and who is visible on almost all the maps websites (ex : Here, OSM, Maps, etc...)
__________________

Rebasepoiss liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #31488
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I have never seen in Europe so many foreigners, Asian, Black, Arab people, many of them in traditional tribal clothes. I am not any way racist, however, sometimes I felt myself being in minority by being white and European, which was really weird.
When I was in Brussels, me and my friend were often the only Europeans around. And we aren't Belgians either.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #31489
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

in Slovenia the tariff for EU megabyte is 0,24 €. it's not a lot, but gps navigation can easily reach 10MB +. also why to pay, if there are free alternatives. Here maps for example.

viamichelin maybe wasn't the best example as it doesn't have good coverage in some countries, but it provides also costs for the routes.
__________________

winnipeg liked this post
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #31490
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
in Slovenia the tariff for EU megabyte is 0,24 €. it's not a lot, but gps navigation can easily reach 10MB +. also why to pay, if there are free alternatives. Here maps for example.

viamichelin maybe wasn't the best example as it doesn't have good coverage in some countries, but it provides also costs for the routes.
Here Maps is excellent!

I hope that it will not be bought by a greedy company that will turn it into a paid service...


And also, you're right about data, it goes really fast and it can easily reach high amounts (especially if you don't have a prepaid offer), and it's still very expensive and not justified...

In France they start to include roaming in mobile plans, but it's still too few... A french operator had a great offer for people who travels in Europe : for 2€/day you could use you plan everywhere in Europe without fees (ie : it was 1Gb + unlimited calls for 15€/month), and it was activable day by day (you don't have to purchase a full month, to change you plan, etc...) and it was fantastic, during the last holidays I used my phone in nordic Europe like if I was in France, making data without counting, calling, etc...

Unfortunatly this phone provider disapeared this year, eaten by a bigger one, and there is no equivalent to this great offer...
__________________

hofburg liked this post

Last edited by winnipeg; May 10th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #31491
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL
 
keokiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halsteren (NL)
Posts: 3,675
Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Also the maps are really old, for example in Romania they are from 2012 and they didn't shown the highway that opened the same year here and who is visible on almost all the maps websites (ex : Here, OSM, Maps, etc...)
Like Maps is better. It took me over 2 years to get them to include a bypass of the town of Schoorldam in The Netherlands. I even sent them the official drawings and a video I had made of that stretch. Their reply was that they did not have sufficient data... Explained to me was - later, by someone else, not in a mail from Google - that they need to get the data from their suppliers and they can't take anything else into account...

Also, the new maps editing you can do yourself is crap. It's slow (always has been and hasn't changed since the new Maps) and even though for example OSM is slow as well with loading the map, at least after that everything is easy to do and easily reachable without much 'lag'. Try doing that in the Maps editor...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #31492
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Like Maps is better. It took me over 2 years to get them to include a bypass of the town of Schoorldam in The Netherlands. I even sent them the official drawings and a video I had made of that stretch. Their reply was that they did not have sufficient data... Explained to me was - later, by someone else, not in a mail from Google - that they need to get the data from their suppliers and they can't take anything else into account...

Also, the new maps editing you can do yourself is crap. It's slow (always has been and hasn't changed since the new Maps) and even though for example OSM is slow as well with loading the map, at least after that everything is easy to do and easily reachable without much 'lag'. Try doing that in the Maps editor...

Right, it's not perfect...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #31493
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara
 
cinxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: München
Posts: 22,236
Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Here Maps is excellent!

I hope that it will not be bought by a greedy company that will turn it into a paid service...
Bidding intensifies for Nokia's Here maps as Uber offers $3B
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #31494
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara
 
cinxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: München
Posts: 22,236
Likes (Received): 18302

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #31495
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Yes, I heard about that, and that was what I'm talking about...

Anyway wait&see...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #31496
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

Impressive !

Why they didn't used the handbrake?
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #31497
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,231
Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Impressive !

Why they didn't used the handbrake?
Why? He could have turned off the engine.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO


winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #31498
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,183

Press the cluth (keep it pressed all the time) + take it out of gear (in neutral) + press break pedal + handbrake.

I think it would stop if you do all of the above.
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #31499
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara
 
cinxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: München
Posts: 22,236
Likes (Received): 18302

Could be the car is an automatic, so no clutch and take out of gear, still there is N.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #31500
winnipeg
Registered User
 
winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Arad
Posts: 664
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Why? He could have turned off the engine.
Also, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Press the cluth (keep it pressed all the time) + take it out of gear (in neutral) + press break pedal + handbrake.

I think it would stop if you do all of the above.
Right!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium