daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #31561
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

We have also a very good quality tap water here in Bratislava with sources on Panonian Basin. But the quality of pipe network should be taken into account too. In case of my house, the pipes are 51 years old. We are about to renew it this or next year. So I prefer bottled water for the time being.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #31562
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Today I was buying food in grocery store here in suburbs of Toronto (Oakville)

I see that strange bottles of water Europeans love, and sure enough, Product of Slovenia!
Radomsko? I don't know. 1.5 L for $1.50. Probably in Slovenia 1.50 Euro Next door they sell gasoline (petrol) for $1.10 for 1 L.
Europeans are so weird
I wonder how many people in that store could find Slovenia on a map?
You mean Radenska?

Verso, Kanadzie liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #31563
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
1.5 l of water cost as low as 0.2€, in Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I pay € 0.72 per m³ for drinking water. That's € 0.0007 per liter.
Apples and oranges. No matter how much they say it's good, I'll never drink tap water. It tasted awful in every city I lived in.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #31564
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

It's considered very strange in the Netherlands if one doesn't drink the tap water.

Restaurants even serve it because it tastes the same as bottled water.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #31565
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
The same in Sweden and many other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Tap water in Germany is also very high quality.
But for example here in Bavaria for example it contains much "Kalk" (is that lime on English?). So on the long term I don't think it's very good for your kidneys. You have to buy a water filter and drink that water, tap water is also very bad for coffee machines, washing machines, etc.
I live in Bavaria too. My tap water is without "Kalk" but just on the other side of the river, people have a big problem with "Kalk". As you wrote, it's even bad for washing machines etc.

I usually don't drink tap water. I buy bottled water (~0.50 €/liter).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #31566
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
It's considered very strange in the Netherlands if one doesn't drink the tap water.

I've read that bottled water produced here in NL is from the same kind of 'wells' as the Dutch tap water is.
I only have bottles because I drink a LOT. Like, a LOT of water every day. So I have a glass of water and then a bottle of water. I fill the glass and the bottle and then when my glass is empty I don't have to walk again and can just refill. When both are empty I fill both of them up (with tap water) and start all over. At the end of the week I get a new bottle and the story repeats
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #31567
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I came home from Turkey last sunday and we were told not to drink water, so we didn't. What about those icecubes in the poolbar? We had them...Nothing happened.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #31568
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Bottled water especially carbonated is very popular in Hungary. We have a long tradition with "soda" water. If I'm not mistaken it was a hungarian dude who invented or put it into massproduction I don't remember.(I made some research) No it is not entirely true. Ányos Jedlik back in 1826 made it possible to massproduce sodawater cheap.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #31569
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

In Serbia there is a variety of bottled water brands, both carbonated and non-carbonated. The water in our area tastes okay, but it does have lots of lime (bad for water heaters) and it sometimes becomes contaminated, mostly after a serious rain. As for bottled water, there are two brands that I can't stand, because of their bitter taste: Rosa and Prolom Voda.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #31570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Very hot already in southern Spain, with temperatures up to 38 °C. The record high for Sevilla in May is 39 °C.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cinxxx, Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #31571
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
I came home from Turkey last sunday and we were told not to drink water, so we didn't. What about those icecubes in the poolbar? We had them...Nothing happened.
Have a shot of spirit every day while you are on vacation and you'll be okay. I've been practising it since the age of 7 (first, my mum pour it to coffee spoon, then tea spoon and after the age of 18 to shot) and never had gastronomical problems.

There is no chance to avoid drinking local water completely: as you mentioned the ice cubes or brushing teeth, etc.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #31572
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

When I was in Africa I brushed my teeth with bottled water. It was too unsafe. But otherwise I drink tap water all over Europe. The worst water is only in south Italy and Greece. Even in Turkey in Istanbul was better.
About lime (Kalk): all tap water in Slovenia is hard to very hard but none has kidney problems because of that.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #31573
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Apples and oranges. No matter how much they say it's good, I'll never drink tap water. It tasted awful in every city I lived in.
In Italy or abroad?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #31574
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
There is no chance to avoid drinking local water completely: as you mentioned the ice cubes or brushing teeth, etc.
If you don't have gingival problems and if you don't drink the water you used to brush your teeth (I suppose that nobody does this), I think that there is almost no risk by using it this way...

But in ice cubes, the water stay the same, it could be a risk...

The same with non-botled sodas from fast foods, etc...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #31575
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
In Italy or abroad?
I only lived abroad in Munich, but I didn't drink tap water there, too.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #31576
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Small water bottles sell well in the UK, for people that are out and about, but the big ones that people take home aren't even sold here I don't think. The only place I've ever been where I didn't like the tap water was Donegal in Ireland but I drank it anyway, I don't think brining home water to drink would really occur to me unless it was unsafe.

In Portugal some people buy big bottles from the supermarket and take them home, but most people drink tap water.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #31577
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
But in ice cubes, the water stay the same, it could be a risk...
Doesn't the freezing process kill bacteria? However I think that in developing countries not only bacteria are a concern, but also chemical pollutants, as factories there don't have to fulfill strict environmental controls like in Europe.

Here the tap water tastes quite normal if drank directly from the tap. However, if put in a bottle and drank later, it gets a bad taste. I don't know why, maybe too much chlorine, but I prefer to avoid drinking it unless I've no bottled water. In the Alps, instead, no need to purchase bottled water as tap water is perfect.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #31578
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

I don't drink tap water because in my hometown it's banned for drinking for 11 years because of heavy metals in water.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #31579
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
You mean Radenska?
It's Czech now.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #31580
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
You mean Radenska?
Exactly this bottle on the right side of picture
What does it cost locally? If more than $1.50 I can send you bottles or an europallet of it and you can send me back slivovica (the government taxes it so much here )

I had never drank bottled water in my life before I went to Europe, I was like, you're at home, so tap is there, water no good?
Answer: yes no good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Doesn't the freezing process kill bacteria? However I think that in developing countries not only bacteria are a concern, but also chemical pollutants, as factories there don't have to fulfill strict environmental controls like in Europe.
Boiling will kill bacteria (almost all), but freezing will only "freeze" bacteria and stop their activity. When it becomes liquid again the bacteria reactivate. Kind of like the cabin in the winter where the flies look dead but once the fire gets hot they start flying around until the fire goes out and next week they are lying around again

I am not so sure of strict environmental controls in Europe, for one, the tap water sucks

Tags
highways, motorways