daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #31581
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's Czech now.
I thought it was ever Czech up to now.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #31582
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
When I was in Africa I brushed my teeth with bottled water. It was too unsafe. But otherwise I drink tap water all over Europe. The worst water is only in south Italy and Greece. Even in Turkey in Istanbul was better.
About lime (Kalk): all tap water in Slovenia is hard to very hard but none has kidney problems because of that.
The quality of the tap water is rather a complex story. Basically, the quality depends on where the raw water is taken, on the quality of the pipelines, and on the process to make drinking water from the water. In addition, excessive saving of water decreases the quality: the drinking water should not stand still for a long time in the pipeline.

Like in all Nordic countries, the tap water is generally drinkable in Finland when taken from the public water supply networks. The private wells are out of the control, and the quality may be questionable. (I own one such a questionable well at our countryside home. We use bottled water as the drinking water there, For other purposes, the quality of the water in the lake is ok.)

The water for the most of the Helsinki region is taken from the lake Päijänne though a tunnel of 120 kilometers in length. That water needs a minimal chemical treatment only. According to the tests, the microbiological quality of the tap water in Helsinki exceeds that of the internationally recognized brands like Evian.

The west part if the region is fed from smaller lakes nearby. Especially during the warm summers, the taste of the water is not always good.

Shit happens, too. In 2007, the water supply network in the city of Nokia collapsed: Because of incorrect design, the drinking water of 12000 people got contaminated by 400,000 liters of waste water. Thousands of people got sick, and hundreds of them were hospitalized. It took three months to restore the system.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #31583
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I am not so sure of strict environmental controls in Europe, for one, the tap water sucks
Bad taste doesn't necessarily mean that it is polluted. I use tap water every day to wash my vegetables and fruit, boil water for pasta, prepare tea and never got sick. It has a bad taste and it is full of kalk, but in general it is safe.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #31584
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Crazy weather in my area: we are going from a record high 35°C yesterday to only 19°C tomorrow.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #31585
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
I don't drink tap water because in my hometown it's banned for drinking for 11 years because of heavy metals in water.
2000 cyanide accident in Baia Mare, Romania?
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #31586
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

While on the water thing, how do you guys think of the waste water being "reused" and used for piped water.

In case you don't know what I'm talking bout ,Google "Newater"
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #31587
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Extreme heat in southeastern Spain. Valencia records 40 °C right now and the May record was 36.0 °C, set in 1999. Interesting how it is only 14 °C in León.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #31588
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

And we'll have a crazy temperature drop tomorrow when a low passes by us. As I stated above, the predicted high for my hometown is only 19ºC .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #31589
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Again 28°C from Saturday though...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #31590
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I had never drank bottled water in my life before I went to Europe, I was like, you're at home, so tap is there, water no good?
Answer: yes no good!
Tap water is perfectly fine in pretty much every European country. I don't know where you got that impression.

Consumption of bottled water in the US (per capita) is on par with European countries so it's not something Europe-specific, either.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #31591
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Tap water is perfectly fine in pretty much every European country. I don't know where you got that impression.

Consumption of bottled water in the US (per capita) is on par with European countries so it's not something Europe-specific, either.
It depends of your lifestyle, if you are a smoker, you drink much alcohol, you eat bad, you don't exercise, etc... yes tap water won't change much to you condition!

But if you look carefully at what you do, avoiding those major risks of health problems (ie : no smoke, alcohol in small quantities, healthy eating and doing enough exercise...), it could be great to avoid tap water in some places as the water sometimes come from rivers and as we have a very intensive agriculture here in Europe (so pesticides and fertilizers...) and we don't control very good the cycle of water (ie : the high levels of nitrates in rivers, the remains of drugs that people tooks and that are evacuated in urine and feces, and also the remains of our industrialisated past like for example PCB witch they still find in rivers even if it has been forbiden there is almost 30 years ago (1987) because they degrade very very slowly).

And there is many many chemicals that are in water but we still don't have the tools to find them easily, because they are in very low quantities, but are still here...

The most terrifying part is that for most of these chemicals we still don't know what are the effects over the long term, even worse, we think that all these molecules together could have a "cocktail effect" (it's the french expression, I don't know if it is correct in english), so their hurt us even more when they are together, and for now we still don't know much about this and most of studies are still focused on 1 pollutant molecule alone without the interactions it can have with others pollutant...

So this is why I absolutly avoid drinking tap water when I know that I don't come from spring water (very rare)...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #31592
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
"cocktail effect"
synergy, complementarity and I agree. But the missing knowledge how things affect our health goes for lot of things. Nobody, for instance, knows how will being exposed to wifi/bluetooth signal 24/h for 30 years influence our health.

winnipeg liked this post
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #31593
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

The best water is the one that come from high-mountain spring. On high mountans there are not factories, agricutural crops, household sewage than can produce local pollution. Theorically, contamination due to acid rains is still possible, but the chance is minimal compared to water that comes from urbanized, industrilized and intensive agricultural areas. They say that water treatment facilities are capable to make water very clean, but I wouldn't be so sure about every sort of chemicals like heavy metals, pesticides, PCB, prescription and recreational drugs expelled with urine,...
Another concern is that many old water pipes are made with "eternit", a mixture of concrete and asbestos fibers. This material, that was widely produced in Italy until it was banned in the 1990s, is very toxic if inhaled, as it can cause lung cancer after many years. It's not proven wether asbestos fibers in pipelines can contaminate flowing water, but their harmlessness wasn't proven either.
Another issue in some areas of Italy is the contamination due to illegal toxic waste dumping. As these dumpings are illegal, it's not always clear which areas are contaminated, so a place that official is clean, it may hide very dangerous chemicals. It's a problem that badly affects some areas in Campania.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #31594
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
2000 cyanide accident in Baia Mare, Romania?
No, soil is simply like that, many other cities in Vojvodina have bad water with high arsenic level (Novi Sad purifies water from the Danube). Purifying facility is planned to be build this year by some Italian company.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #31595
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
synergy, complementarity and I agree. But the missing knowledge how things affect our health goes for lot of things. Nobody, for instance, knows how will being exposed to wifi/bluetooth signal 24/h for 30 years influence our health.
Okay, thanks! You're right, in many things we use everyday, we still don't know the long term effects on us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The best water is the one that come from high-mountain spring. On high mountans there are not factories, agricutural crops, household sewage than can produce local pollution. Theorically, contamination due to acid rains is still possible, but the chance is minimal compared to water that comes from urbanized, industrilized and intensive agricultural areas. They say that water treatment facilities are capable to make water very clean, but I wouldn't be so sure about every sort of chemicals like heavy metals, pesticides, PCB, prescription and recreational drugs expelled with urine,...
Another concern is that many old water pipes are made with "eternit", a mixture of concrete and asbestos fibers. This material, that was widely produced in Italy until it was banned in the 1990s, is very toxic if inhaled, as it can cause lung cancer after many years. It's not proven wether asbestos fibers in pipelines can contaminate flowing water, but their harmlessness wasn't proven either.
Another issue in some areas of Italy is the contamination due to illegal toxic waste dumping. As these dumpings are illegal, it's not always clear which areas are contaminated, so a place that official is clean, it may hide very dangerous chemicals. It's a problem that badly affects some areas in Campania.
I agree.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #31596
volodaaaa

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/anKZ83V_460sv.mp4

edit:

winnipeg liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #31597
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
It depends of your lifestyle, if you are a smoker, you drink much alcohol, you eat bad, you don't exercise, etc... yes tap water won't change much to you condition!

[...]

So this is why I absolutly avoid drinking tap water when I know that I don't come from spring water (very rare)...
I don't know about other countries so well but in Estonia tap water goes through rigorous testing, including different chemicals, organic matter etc. The regulations concerning tap water are a lot stricter than those concerning bottled water so the unknown factors are actually greater when drinking bottled water.

Besides, bottled water sits on shelves for weeks if not months. Tap water is always fresh.

The reasons for not drinking tap water are mainly psychological, especially since a large part of bottled water actually comes from - you guessed it - tap water.

You also can't get around the fact that producing bottled water is incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment.

Jasper90 liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #31598
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
You also can't get around the fact that producing bottled water is incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment.
They should introduce a mandatory deposit on bottles: you bring back the old ones in the supermarket and you get money back. So, nobody would throw empty bottles in the trash or even worse in the street or in the sea.
In Italy there are no deposits, except on some glass water bottles, but they are rarely used compared to plastic bottles. Civic-minded people throw empty bottles in dumpster for plastic recycling, but nobody enforces this, is just a matter of being eco-friendly.
Some municipalities begin to install some "water houses", that are vending machines that sell tap water (it can even be made sparlking) that had been further filtered compared to regular tap water. The price is arond 0,05€ per liter and you have to bring your own bottles, reducing garbage.
Another issue is that bottled water need to be carried with trucks, that pollute air. Where I live (100-150km radius) there are some good mineral water spring that produce bottled water. I don't see why our supermarkets have still to sell brands from Central Italy. Not to mention European water in North America.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post

Last edited by italystf; May 15th, 2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #31599
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
They should introduce a mandatory deposit on bottles: you bring back the old ones in the supermarket and you get money back. So, nobody would throw empty bottles in the trash or even worse in the street or in the sea.
It's finally mandatory in Germany now but I think there are still some exceptions. It took decades... I think mandatory deposit could be candidate for EU law.........

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Jasper90 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #31600
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's finally mandatory in Germany now but I think there are still some exceptions. It took decades... I think mandatory deposit could be candidate for EU law.........
I agree. Much more important than the bananas curvature radius law. And they should also make mandatory door-to-door trash pick up. So they can fine who don't recycle.

Tags
highways, motorways