daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2015, 05:35 PM   #31701
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

I am considering travelling to Greece through Romania and Bulgaria this year. Just streetviewed the road nr. 6 in Romania. Gosh! It looks to be in outstanding condition! Can you recommend me?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:26 PM   #31702
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I am considering travelling to Greece through Romania and Bulgaria this year. Just streetviewed the road nr. 6 in Romania. Gosh! It looks to be in outstanding condition! Can you recommend me?
Look at the very good romanians roads quality map : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1381215

The road seems to be one of the best, depending whitch part you are talking about...

volodaaaa liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:31 PM   #31703
bogdymol
bogdymod

If I would travel from Bratislava to Greece I would definitely choose the route through Serbia and Macedonia, mostly because most of the route is at motorway standard.

Anyway, if you choose to travel through Romania, here are few tips for you:
- from mid-July some new motorway stretches will open, so you will be able to drive only on motorway until after Timisoara in Romania
- you will need a vignette for driving in Romania (you must have it also for main roads, not just for motorways). It costs about 3 Euro for 1 week
- from Timisoara you have to drive on main road 6, which is in excellent condition. Many towns on the route have bypasses (Lugoj, Caransebes, Dr. Tr. Severin). The traffic is usually light (except between Timisoara and Lugoj, where is more traffic), but sometime you could get behind a truck with small chances of overtaking (especially in the mountainous area).
- after Dr. Tr. Severin you have to drive on another main road to Calafat. The first 80% of it is in very good condition, but the last 20 km or so has some works currently going on. You might be slowed a little, but it is a short stretch and shouldn't be that bad
- between Calafat and Vidin (BG) you will pass on a newly built bridge across Danube (there's a small toll to pass it, but I don't know the exact amount)
- after Vidin (BG) I heard that the road is full of villages and you cannot drive very fast. I was on this road in 2007 with a bus during night and the only thing I can remember is the police officer that stopped us and asked for bribe from the bus driver
- you can check a map with the "quality" of Romanian roads made by our forum colleagues

Have a safe trip
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

volodaaaa, winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:14 AM   #31704
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

About Romanian vignette, it can be bought also online.
(The same for Hungarian one.)
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:26 AM   #31705
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Exact!
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:01 PM   #31706
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
You can buy it here: https://www.roviniete.ro/en.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:05 PM   #31707
volodaaaa

Thank you very much guys. Your advices are clear and I can't wait for the journey.

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:09 PM   #31708
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
- after Vidin (BG) I heard that the road is full of villages and you cannot drive very fast. I was on this road in 2007 with a bus during night and the only thing I can remember is the police officer that stopped us and asked for bribe from the bus driver
- you can check a map with the "quality" of Romanian roads made by our forum colleagues
Are bribes like that common?

That map is really good, well done to the Romanian SSC!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 11:20 PM   #31709
volodaaaa

I guess only in case of buses. I've made that route several times and have not experienced one.

Except for one case in Macedonia. An officer has pulled me over to tell me that I exceeded the speed limit of 60 kph while driving at 100 kph. It was 2 AM at night somewhere near Gevgelija. He made a clear statement, that according the Act nr. (whatever) I was imposed a 75 € fine. He added he would not receive any money, just gave me the ticket, sent me to Veles (approximately 100 km back) to post office to pay it off. There was a catch: it would have been 3 AM in morning in Veles if we had accepted those conditions and the post office would have been surely closed. So I asked him if he could show me the traffic sign. Then he smiled, generously waved his hand and told me 10 € would be enough. I was only with my GF, was not sure it was not scam, was not sure what would have happened if I had started to do problems, so I better accepted it.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM   #31710
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Are bribes like that common?

That map is really good, well done to the Romanian SSC!
I already heard it from some of my collegues who travel often through Bulgaria to reach Turkey...

Quote:
I guess only in case of buses. I've made that route several times and have not experienced one.

Except for one case in Macedonia. An officer has pulled me over to tell me that I exceeded the speed limit of 60 kph while driving at 100 kph. It was 2 AM at night somewhere near Gevgelija. He made a clear statement, that according the Act nr. (whatever) I was imposed a 75 € fine. He added he would not receive any money, just gave me the ticket, sent me to Veles (approximately 100 km back) to post office to pay it off. There was a catch: it would have been 3 AM in morning in Veles if we had accepted those conditions and the post office would have been surely closed. So I asked him if he could show me the traffic sign. Then he smiled, generously waved his hand and told me 10 € would be enough. I was only with my GF, was not sure it was not scam, was not sure what would have happened if I had started to do problems, so I better accepted it.
Interesting, so this could also happens in the Balkans ? (I plan to visit these countries alone, but I didn't had the time now...).

Personaly I think that I would have choosed the fine over the bribe, because as this is not even a European country and if I am here with my European car, I don't think they had any chances to send me the bill in my home country as there is probably no agreements with Europeans polices... (Except if they check at the border point if you have any infractions to pay, but I'm not sure...)
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:49 AM   #31711
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
I already heard it from some of my collegues who travel often through Bulgaria to reach Turkey...

Interesting, so this could also happens in the Balkans ? (I plan to visit these countries alone, but I didn't had the time now...).

Personaly I think that I would have choosed the fine over the bribe, because as this is not even a European country and if I am here with my European car, I don't think they had any chances to send me the bill in my home country as there is probably no agreements with Europeans polices... (Except if they check at the border point if you have any infractions to pay, but I'm not sure...)

Well, the problem is that I visit Macedonia on regular basis. So the police might do problems later. Regardless the fact my dad was given a fine in Greece 6 or 7 years ago to a car, which is in my ownership now (the licence plate did not changed). I am still affraid of that when I am in Greece. (he reused to pay the fine off because the paper was filled in handwritten Greek language.

winnipeg liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:08 AM   #31712
winnipeg

Quote:
Well, the problem is that I visit Macedonia on regular basis. So the police might do problems later. Regardless the fact my dad was given a fine in Greece 6 or 7 years ago to a car, which is in my ownership now (the licence plate did not changed). I am still affraid of that when I am in Greece. (he reused to pay the fine off because the paper was filled in handwritten Greek language.
Ok, I see, yes it's better for you to be sure that you will not have problems later I you travel often in this area!
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM   #31713
volodaaaa

I am basically against corruption. This was a panic behaviour I am not proud of.

winnipeg, Kanadzie liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:10 PM   #31714
winnipeg

I am against it too, but had to use it last year, and in Europe this time (Hungary). I was driving alone during the night, I was driving in a city with very larges streets and absolutly nobody so I drove a little bit faster that the limit (40km/h during night), maybe something like 60km/h and I've got arrested by the cops who told me that I will lose my licence and will have to pay a huge fine...

I am not drawing what happened next, but this was the first and only time I "corrupted" cops, and I felt bad about that even days after it (I didn't even talked about this to anyone...)
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM   #31715
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I have only been stopped 3 times in traffic:
- In Ingolstadt after I picked up some people from a restaurant late at night. I didn't drink so it was only a brief encounter.
- In Albania last year on my way from Tirana to Ohrid. Policeman spoke to me in Italian when he saw I'm Romanian. First I thought because I was speeding, but they didn't have a radar. They were very kind and smiling and wished us "Bona giornata"
- In Serbia, in Kovin, but it was my fault, I turned when it was not allowed, although I think that sign was a trap. I ended up giving a bribe. It was a Sunday, I should have had to return to Kovin next day to pay the fine, but I had to go to work then, no time for a 4 hour drive to and back.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:57 PM   #31716
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2361

The Bulgarian section also did a road quality map, which is regularly updated. You can find it here.
TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:59 PM   #31717
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Last week I bribed a Croatian (train) conductor/guard.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:49 PM   #31718
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Then he smiled, generously waved his hand and told me 10 € would be enough.
I was on my way from the office back home. I drove in a queue of about 4 cars. I drove as fast as the cars in front, ~ 95-100km/h on the display. The distance to the car in front was "normal" that means it was not as big as I would be able to drive noticeable faster.

I was stopped by police at the end of the straight. She told me I was speeding. They caught me by radar gun. I said "no, I drove as fast as the other cars". "Documents". Then, she turned her head to her colleague. She was really surprised, turned to me, back to her colleague. "How much do we make?" He answered, she turned back to me "10 €". My co-driver said "Don't discuss, just pay...". I did.

That happened in Germany. I don't see a big difference.

I was stopped by police when I had my driver license for about one month. I saw a police car at the town limit. They monitored the street. I passed a traffic light after about 500m (curve in between etcetera, far away from the location of the police car). Let's say lights were still orange .

I drove a little bit over the limit, let's say 55km/h instead of 50km/h. There was no car behind me. After another 500-1000m without stopping or slowing down, I saw the police car behind me with "Stop police" on the display. I stopped and was a little bit nervous because I passed the lights at dark orange... And I had my driver license for one month only... They just checked my documents and first-aid kit which was in the trunk. Finally, they gave my an advice: "You have a big trunk there's even enough space for your beer crate", and I could drive away.

Well, when we recognized that police is behind, my four passengers put back there beer bootles into the beer crate which was underfoot of my co-driver. Two of the passengers were still 15 years old, e.g. the co-driver... I didn't drink by the way!

I was also checked at - or even in - the first French toll station after the Spanish border last week. Nice talk but it was raining .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:09 AM   #31719
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Just go thru Serbia,so that we can meet
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #31720
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Most countries in Europe don't enforce fines to foreign drivers, especially for small violations like those related to parking, as it's too expensive. Switzerland is a notable exception, they send all fines abroad and will ban you to re-enter the country if you don't pay.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways