daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:18 AM   #31721
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Austria sends fines home too. Both speeding and parking.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:43 AM   #31722
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Well, when we recognized that police is behind, my four passengers put back there beer bootles into the beer crate which was underfoot of my co-driver. Two of the passengers were still 15 years old, e.g. the co-driver... I didn't drink by the way!

I was also checked at - or even in - the first French toll station after the Spanish border last week. Nice talk but it was raining .
By reading your story, I just remembered that me and my family got also arrested while travelling accross the US. We traveled from Canada (with a canadian SUV) to US west coast to finaly go to US east coast and finaly Canada (we made 17.000km in 4 weeks ), so sometime we had to go a bit faster than the limit, mostly on huge beautifull highways when the traffic was light... ).

But one day, in a north-western state (I don't remember which one), we got arrested by a cop who was watching the speed probably hidden behind a bridge (but we don't even saw him), and it's really impressive when the huge Dodge Charger is behind you asking to stop...

So the driver of the car (my brother) took his paper and seat in the cop's car on passenger seat (the cop was alone), and everything went well, the cop was very calm and comprehensive, even if the fine was very expensive (something like $150-200)...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:49 AM   #31723
winnipeg

But these kind of controls will disapear from our countries. For example in France they are now using many many unnamed cars with hidden radar who runs on the roads and can calculate your speed when you go over the car or evne the speed of the cars oncoming...

And there is no way to easily see that this is a cop car, unless you can look at the people inside who must have their uniforms, but who pay attention to that on the road ?

Here are examples of these cars : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K6ObqxujFE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuZTWf3YhBc

They automaticaly send fines if you exceed the speed limit more than 20km/h...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM   #31724
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21243

I prefer camera enforcement to personal cop enforcement anytime. At least, as long as cameras are properly calibrated and the signs are there, enforcement is the same for everyone, without any sort of discretion.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #31725
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I prefer cops to camera enforcement. A human cop can see whether you're actually being dangerous or not. For example driving [email protected] km/h on a deserted highwayyou wont get a fine form a cop, maybe a slow down sign from him. With cameras you're screwed.

Also, before Verso asks: new GMaps link:
https://maps.google.nl/maps/myplaces?dg=feature
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #31726
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I prefer cops to camera enforcement. A human cop can see whether you're actually being dangerous or not. For example driving [email protected] km/h on a deserted highwayyou wont get a fine form a cop, maybe a slow down sign from him. With cameras you're screwed.
Cops are required to give fines for every violation they see, doesn't matter if it's actually dangerous or not. If they make an act of courtesy and don't fine someone, they are liable for abuse of power.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:08 PM   #31727
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I just found out that 14 states in the US don't require passengers in the rear seat to fasten seat belts

winnipeg liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:13 PM   #31728
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Also, before Verso asks: new GMaps link:
https://maps.google.nl/maps/myplaces?dg=feature
Thanks again, but this is getting annoying. The last two links lasted for a week.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:20 PM   #31729
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I just found out that 14 states in the US don't require passengers in the rear seat to fasten seat belts
Freedom!!!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:22 PM   #31730
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Thanks again, but this is getting annoying. The last two links lasted for a week.
Don't blame me, blame the Google
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:23 PM   #31731
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I'm not blaming you.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:12 PM   #31732
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Bought a cheap dashcam (40euro's only) and filmed my evening commute yesterday. Quality is lower because I need to get a bigger micro sd card first. This was filmed in 640p instead of 1080.

I think quality wise for 40euro's, this was worth its money!

Festin liked this post
joshsam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM   #31733
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Google Maps are still disabled for editing since that "Android-Apple" incident in Pakistan...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:59 PM   #31734
bogdymol
bogdymod

Greetings from a big STAU on the Austrian A1 motorway nearby St. Polkten. 1 km in 2h.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #31735
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Greetings from a big STAU on the Austrian A1 motorway nearby St. Polkten. 1 km in 2h.
i have never been in such jam. i was in jams where i waited cca 1 or 2h, but in that time i moved at least 7-8 km.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:43 PM   #31736
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Sad!

Good luck for the road remaining!
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #31737
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I think I had worse in Pennsylvania on a motorway through a valley
I think we moved 0 m in about 2 hours... eventually started to move, was an accident...
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #31738
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Good morning from La Spezia, Italy!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #31739
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Damn those anti-vaccination parents. Thanks to them, we got a case of diphtheria, the first in Spain after 28 years.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

winnipeg, Nordic20T liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #31740
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Damn those anti-vaccination parents. Thanks to them, we got a case of diphtheria, the first in Spain after 28 years.
Before the 1960s, when every family had a relative died from an infectious disease, nobody was agaist vaccinations. They were seen as a very important life-saving innovation. Now, thanks to vaccinations, some diseases have (almost) disappeared from developed countries and more and more people think that vaccinations are useless, they're just a business, not realizing that if some diseases have disappeared is because everybody has been vaccinated before. Today, with massive immigration from third world countries, non-vaccinated people are again at risk.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg, Nordic20T liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways