daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #31741
Shards

Likes (Received): 0

Hi All, first post, be gentle

My wife and I are planning our summer road trip from the UK to Finland and I'd like to try an alternative return route this year and go by the Via Baltica/Poland/Germany.

Thing is, I haven't visited much of Eastern Europe so don't have any road knowledge other than the usual scare stories! It's been very useful to read through the country threads on here!

Our plan is to spend a night in Talinn and then head from there to spend the next night in Kaunas and then on again the next day to Poznan. From there is on to Dortmund and then Calais for home. Google Maps would indicate that these are reasonable legs to plan out as we don't like to plan to drive for more than 8 hours per day.

So, a question for this group. Does this sound reasonable as a route? Are those google map timings actually fair to expect for August driving? Also, do you know how those expressway routes are for rest stops as we'll also have our dog with us in the car.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Shards no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #31742
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

There was also a public discussion about that issue in Germany earlier this year: Measles death in Germany prompts calls for mandatory vaccinations.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #31743
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Good morning from La Spezia, Italy!
I hope you are headed to cinque terre!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #31744
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards View Post
Hi All, first post, be gentle

My wife and I are planning our summer road trip from the UK to Finland and I'd like to try an alternative return route this year and go by the Via Baltica/Poland/Germany.

Thing is, I haven't visited much of Eastern Europe so don't have any road knowledge other than the usual scare stories! It's been very useful to read through the country threads on here!

Our plan is to spend a night in Talinn and then head from there to spend the next night in Kaunas and then on again the next day to Poznan. From there is on to Dortmund and then Calais for home. Google Maps would indicate that these are reasonable legs to plan out as we don't like to plan to drive for more than 8 hours per day.

So, a question for this group. Does this sound reasonable as a route? Are those google map timings actually fair to expect for August driving? Also, do you know how those expressway routes are for rest stops as we'll also have our dog with us in the car.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Google says 26 hours for 2400km. It will probably be a bit longer than this, as there are no motorways for around 1000km between Warsaw and Tallinn.
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Calai...6!2d59.4369608
I would stop in Warsaw instead of Poznan if you haven't been before. I've never been to Poland and I don't know that much about interesting sights in different cities, but usually the capital city is more interesting than a smaller city, from a touristic point of view.
If I will ever go to Finland overland, I would go one way via Poland and the Baltics and the other via the Oresund bridge and the Stockolm-Turku ferry, to visit more different cities and countries. Of course the road through the Baltics is faster and cheaper.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #31745
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3998

Video which was uploaded by ignorant American who tries to condemn police officer in Serbia bribe. This video caused many negative reactions in Serbia and region since there is no proof of any corruption.

winnipeg liked this post
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #31746
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Last edited by winnipeg; June 4th, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #31747
winnipeg

But thanks for sharing the video, it's very interresting!
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #31748
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

From what I'm reading in the comments the driver had to pay the regular fine on the spot because he is a foreigner (wich is also common practice in NL here, if you don't live in NL you pay immediately). The cop is just asking him to pay the fine, not to bribe him.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #31749
Alex_ZR

His fine for speeding was 5000 dinars, or 2500 if you pay it in 8 days. You can't pay to the policeman, you have to go to post office or bank by deposit slip. American wanted to pay it on the spot, offering dinars and euros (which is not currency in Serbia), so he tried to offer bribe. Policewoman explained him the procedure. In the end policemen agreed to accept the money in the amount which he would pay in the bank (2545=2500 fine and 45 bank commission), taking the deposit slip which police gave him previously. I think he would end up much worse if he did this in America.

winnipeg liked this post
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #31750
winnipeg

Right, I've seen the last part of the video, and yes with the cop explaining in english, it seems more clear now : https://youtu.be/IPhYl81--fY?t=1046

It's really the guy who is wrong and try to put pressure on cops... What an idiot!

Did we know what infraction he makes?
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #31751
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Did we know what infraction he makes?
He was driving 150 km/h on a motorway where 120 km/h is allowed.

winnipeg liked this post
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #31752
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I hope you are headed to cinque terre!
We spent the whole day there, visited all 5 villages.
Wonderful place
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #31753
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
He was driving 150 km/h on a motorway where 120 km/h is allowed.
Right, so he fully deserve the fine!
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #31754
Shards

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Google says 26 hours for 2400km. It will probably be a bit longer than this, as there are no motorways for around 1000km between Warsaw and Tallinn.

I would stop in Warsaw instead of Poznan if you haven't been before. I've never been to Poland and I don't know that much about interesting sights in different cities, but usually the capital city is more interesting than a smaller city, from a touristic point of view.
If I will ever go to Finland overland, I would go one way via Poland and the Baltics and the other via the Oresund bridge and the Stockolm-Turku ferry, to visit more different cities and countries. Of course the road through the Baltics is faster and cheaper.
Thanks Italystf!

Yeah, our previous route had been to take a ferry to Esbjerg, Denmark and then over the Oresund and up to Stockholm for the ferry to Helsinki. They've cancelled that ferry service now though, so we're taking Eurotunnel to Calais. On the Outward we're going via the Puttgarden ferry, then Oresund and then the ferry from Stockholm to Turku. I fancied something different for the return leg though and suggested the Baltic Route to my wife.

I didn't realise that the E67 wasn't motorway though. Do people know what the speed limits/driving conditions are like on it?

Thanks
Shards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #31755
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
We spent the whole day there, visited all 5 villages.
Wonderful place
You visited at a good time - summer, midweek, before the hordes of peak season arrive.

I like the Cinque Terre, Corniglia is my favorite, though I also like Portovenere and Levanto, which are nearby.
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #31756
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What an ass. In the US he'd be shot dead in five minutes.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #31757
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
You visited at a good time - summer, midweek, before the hordes of peak season arrive.

I like the Cinque Terre, Corniglia is my favorite, though I also like Portovenere and Levanto, which are nearby.
I've visited the Cinque Terre in 2002, very beautiful. The village of Monterosso was badly affected by a flood a couple of years ago, I'm not sure if they have already restored everything.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #31758
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Warsaw is a "Move along, nothing to see" city. I think everything else is more interesting in Poland, especially Gdansk and Krakow. Even Poznan looks much more interesting than Warsaw according to pictures.

Kanadzie liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #31759
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Warsaw is a "Move along, nothing to see" city. I think everything else is more interesting in Poland, especially Gdansk and Krakow. Even Poznan looks much more interesting than Warsaw according to pictures.
I heard that in Krakow there's nothing more to see...
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #31760
WMS
BANANED BY VOLT CENTERTEL

Likes (Received): 2421

According to pictures
http://images33.fotosik.pl/399/edd30152f65c5572.jpg

winnipeg liked this post
WMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways