daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #31761
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMS View Post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #31762
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards View Post
Thanks Italystf!

Yeah, our previous route had been to take a ferry to Esbjerg, Denmark and then over the Oresund and up to Stockholm for the ferry to Helsinki. They've cancelled that ferry service now though, so we're taking Eurotunnel to Calais. On the Outward we're going via the Puttgarden ferry, then Oresund and then the ferry from Stockholm to Turku. I fancied something different for the return leg though and suggested the Baltic Route to my wife.

I didn't realise that the E67 wasn't motorway though. Do people know what the speed limits/driving conditions are like on it?

Thanks
E67 through Baltic's is OK. Lithuania has a few kilometers of motorway there, rest of it is is one lane in each direction but bypasses almost every town on route. In Latvia the whole E67 has been reconstructed in the last 10 years, it's mostly 1,5 lane road (like this) in each direction, and bypass most of the towns on route. Some minor repaving works are going on this summer, but it shouldn't take up much more time than usual. The parts around Riga could be a little bit congested during rush hour though.

Don't know about Lithuania and Estonia in summer, but in Latvia the E67's speed limit is 90 km/h, except for A1 (north of Riga) which has a speed limit of 100 km/h. In populated places - 50 km/h.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #31763
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMS View Post
Obvious Warsaw inhabitant

Warsaw is nice (and has worthwhile historical museums and etc) but I would say Krakow better place to visit. And Poznan impressed me a lot.
But why not go to all places, Poland is a small country and it is only some short hour to go from one place to the other, as long as you don't get stuck in a queue to give 9 zl at the toll booth. If you follow the Vistula or DK 79 between Warsaw and Krakow you can visit beautiful and historical Sandomierz

winnipeg liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #31764
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What an ass. In the US he'd be shot dead in five minutes.
OK maybe not shot but this is how they deal with such smartasses in Texas, video from a month ago

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!

winnipeg liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #31765
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Today we visited Pisa and Lucca.
Lovely places, but the heat was tough
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #31766
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

Kudos for choosing Lucca. It's a little jewel very few people know.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #31767
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

My next weekend

I am just little concerned where to park in Trieste

hofburg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #31768
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
My next weekend

There are some places near the city centre, with many parkings available but they require payment:
On the waterfront
Near the railway station (multi-storey)
Near the court (underground)
"Giulia" shopping centre (multi-storey)
You can find a free space by just driving around streets but it requires time and luck.
Or park in Opicina and take the tram.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #31769
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

My today's one-day trip:

http://goo.gl/maps/iPpnW

370 km, average consumption 4.9 l!

volodaaaa liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #31770
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There are some places near the city centre, with many parkings available but they require payment:
On the waterfront
Near the railway station (multi-storey)
Near the court (underground)
"Giulia" shopping centre (multi-storey)
You can find a free space by just driving around streets but it requires time and luck.
Or park in Opicina and take the tram.
Thank you You really have cheered me up. I think I will look up for an empty place and if I did not succeed, I will take the place on the waterfront. Opicina tramway is one of the most essential sights to me

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #31771
italystf

Quote:
Thank you You really have cheered me up. I think I will look up for an empty place and if I did not succeed, I will take the place on the waterfront. Opicina tramway is one of the most essential sights to me
If you take the tram both ways you can avoid parking in Trieste at all. Opicina is a small town and you can find plenty of free parking space. If you want to go to Trieste by car and you don't mind walking a bit, you can park your car somewhere around Via Commerciale (the road that leads into Trieste centre if you come from Fernetti), it's 1 or 2 km from the city centre.

If you need to know something else about Trieste and surroundings feel free to ask. For some reasons it's a sort of my second residence, and just a hour away from where I actually reside, so I know a lot about the city. Unfortunately I won't be in Trieste next weekend.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #31772
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

My today trip was to Portofino and Genova.
Tomorrow back to Germany
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #31773
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
For some reasons it's a sort of my second residence, and just a hour away from where I actually reside
You live in Ljubljana?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #31774
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You live in Ljubljana?
Trieste is rougly halfway between me and you.
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #31775
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Or the border (by Fernetti, not Gorizia).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #31776
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
My next weekend

You said that you will go to Greece.
When and where wil you go?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #31777
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
You said that you will go to Greece.
When and where wil you go?
it is not contradictory with Italy I think to Sarti at Sidonia peninsula, but I don't know the exact date so far. It depends on my PhD. defending term and my fiancée's graduation event date. We don't know any of them by now.

Old June 7th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #31778
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Cops are required to give fines for every violation they see, doesn't matter if it's actually dangerous or not. If they make an act of courtesy and don't fine someone, they are liable for abuse of power.
I don't know if that's true in every country, but out of all the times I've been stopped 50% of the time I was let go with a warning. Here this is quite common.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #31779
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I don't know if that's true in every country, but out of all the times I've been stopped 50% of the time I was let go with a warning. Here this is quite common.
Iit is Europe. And especially Eastern Europe where bribing policemen was some years ago quite usual, and in some countries it is usual even now. In Hungary in the 90's bribing a policemen was, I can say, a matter of course. I myself bribed policemen (it's alredy barred :-)).
So if the police stops you and let you go without paying a fine, the main reason for that is bribe. That's why is it in some European nations compulsory for police officers to charge every one who broke the rule, without the possibility of measuring whether it was really dangerous or not.
Additionally, in Europe it is quite usual that the police has an amount of money which they are orderd to get from fines, any way. So they must get the money, doesn't matter whether you drove too fast or not. Sometimes they put a very new speed limit sign somewhere and then charge every drivers who drive there every day and are driving with the usual speed without noticing the new sign.

AnOldBlackMarble, winnipeg liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #31780
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

it is like the old joke, at the Policeman's Ball when they award prizes to the participants of the raffle -
3rd prize - trip to Crimea
2nd prize - new Lada
1st prize - portable STOP sign

winnipeg, Attus liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways