daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #31781
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Iit is Europe. And especially Eastern Europe where bribing policemen was some years ago quite usual, and in some countries it is usual even now. In Hungary in the 90's bribing a policemen was, I can say, a matter of course. I myself bribed policemen (it's alredy barred :-)).
So if the police stops you and let you go without paying a fine, the main reason for that is bribe. That's why is it in some European nations compulsory for police officers to charge every one who broke the rule, without the possibility of measuring whether it was really dangerous or not.
Additionally, in Europe it is quite usual that the police has an amount of money which they are orderd to get from fines, any way. So they must get the money, doesn't matter whether you drove too fast or not. Sometimes they put a very new speed limit sign somewhere and then charge every drivers who drive there every day and are driving with the usual speed without noticing the new sign.
Completely agreed. I would like just add that police often measure speeds at spots where it is useless (I talk about on-purpose set up speed traps) and refuse to check drivers at spots, where it would significantly contribute to calming of traffic and increasing of the level of street safety and security.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #31782
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Iit is Europe. And especially Eastern Europe where bribing policemen was some years ago quite usual, and in some countries it is usual even now. In Hungary in the 90's bribing a policemen was, I can say, a matter of course. I myself bribed policemen (it's alredy barred :-)).
So if the police stops you and let you go without paying a fine, the main reason for that is bribe. That's why is it in some European nations compulsory for police officers to charge every one who broke the rule, without the possibility of measuring whether it was really dangerous or not.
Additionally, in Europe it is quite usual that the police has an amount of money which they are orderd to get from fines, any way. So they must get the money, doesn't matter whether you drove too fast or not. Sometimes they put a very new speed limit sign somewhere and then charge every drivers who drive there every day and are driving with the usual speed without noticing the new sign.
That's terrible. In this case parts of Europe are worse than the US. I've heard of similar things done here, but it has never happened to me, or anyone I know, so it's probably not that common.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #31783
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
it is not contradictory with Italy I think to Sarti at Sidonia peninsula, but I don't know the exact date so far. It depends on my PhD. defending term and my fiancée's graduation event date. We don't know any of them by now.
I'll go to Neos Marmaras on 14th July. Hope we will meet
Also guys i'll make a photo report.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #31784
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
That's terrible. In this case parts of Europe are worse than the US. I've heard of similar things done here, but it has never happened to me, or anyone I know, so it's probably not that common.
And now in western Europe (France especially), cops are just a way to bring cash to the state, with their hidden automatic radars, you don't even know that you made a infraction, you will just receive a letter at home few days after... The interest for safety is much lower than cops giving you a fine on the spot (more psychological impact and you know that you made an infraction...).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #31785
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

SOURCE

A freak accident involving a drunk driver and a roundabout

winnipeg, cinxxx, Kanadzie liked this post
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #31786
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting note, there haven't been any recorded motorway openings between 22 April and 12 May. That's three weeks. I haven't recorded such a lull in motorway openings in 5 years.

Of course, there could be something I missed, particularly in Brazil or Russia. On the other hand most Brazilian dual carriageways are not full-standard motorways.
I'm now compilating Chinese openings in May (as you missed all two of them ) and discovered that a section opened on 9 May. So this reduces the lull to two weeks, taking into account that Italian motorway section that opened on 27 April.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

MichiH liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #31787
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

España

I'm back from a 6,577 kilometer road trip / vacation through Belgium, France, Spain and a small part of Portugal. I drove all the way to Tarifa, where I spotted the coast of Africa.

I had to cut my trip short by two days, as the weather in northern Spain was just terrible. I wanted to stay two days in the Picos de Europa region, but it was pouring rain all the way from Oviedo to San Sebastian and there were very low clouds, you couldn't even see the surrounding scenery, so there was no point of staying there, considering the forecast was poor as well.

The hottest was 37°C in Alentejo region in Portugal. I wanted to stay there for two nights, but it was so damn hot and there was very little shade (just some small olive trees) so I decided to go to Peña de Francia, a mountain range in Salamanca province, where the weather was more tolerable.

Road highlights:

* A75 in France, just marvellous. It wasn't exactly my first time, but it is very nice.
* A-7 in the Alcoi area. Quite nice, very little traffic compared to near Valencia.
* roads in de Cabo de Gata region. The greenhouse areas are awful though.
* A-92 through the Tabernas Desert. The only place in Europe that looks like Arizona.
* A-92 east of Granada. Very nice scenery and the Sierra Nevada still had snow on it.
* A-44 from Granada to Motril.
* A-66 various mountain areas, north of Sevilla, north of Plasencia and in particular north of León.
* AP-66 León - Oviedo. There was a 4 km tunnel. One side was sunny, warm and not a cloud in the sky. The Asturias side had low-hanging clouds and was much cooler. Scenery-wise it's like you're suddenly in Ireland or something. Very green.
* A-8 along the north coast, unfortunately it rained almost the entire way. I didn't see much great scenery due to the low-hanging clouds.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #31788
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

And you didn't even came close to Huesca! You missed the world's capital (As said by a song) and meeting me.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #31789
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
I'm back from a 6,577 kilometer road trip / vacation through Belgium, France, Spain and a small part of Portugal. I drove all the way to Tarifa, where I spotted the coast of Africa.
did you avoid AP roads and tended to use only A roads, or you didn't care about it?
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #31790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

It did avoid some tolls in France (especially on routes I already drove several times), but I took toll roads in Spain (AP-7 to Valencia, AP-7 around the coastal cities south of Málaga, AP-4 to Sevilla, AP-66 to Gijón, AP-8 from Bilbao to San Sebastian).

The route:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Rebasepoiss, Verso, cinxxx liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #31791
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Did you go to Gibraltar?
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #31792
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1185

I hope you enjoyed your trip

It can be quite rainy in the southern tip of the Iberian peninsula too (about 1,350 mm in the hilly area between Algeciras and Tarifa, and up to 2,000 near Grazalema), but rain falls mostly between October and May. The N-340 around Tarifa is probably worth highlighting too -at least for me. Sometimes it reminds me a bit of the CA-1 at Big Sur, California

Quote:
* AP-66 León - Oviedo. There was a 4 km tunnel. One side was sunny, warm and not a cloud in the sky. The Asturias side had low-hanging clouds and was much cooler. Scenery-wise it's like you're suddenly in Ireland or something. Very green.
* A-8 along the north coast, unfortunately it rained almost the entire way. I didn't see much great scenery due to the low-hanging clouds.
So typical. Wet clouds are blocked by the mountains and stay there pouring rain for days. I've even experienced the same when crossing the Piqueras Tunnel (N-111) between Soria and Logroño, but it's not as common.

In such cases it could be better to go back to the southern side of the mountains and take the CL-626 or even the A-231. Something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/3x0Ln Or this: https://goo.gl/maps/pjw3P
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #31793
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
And now in western Europe (France especially), cops are just a way to bring cash to the state, with their hidden automatic radars, you don't even know that you made a infraction, you will just receive a letter at home few days after... The interest for safety is much lower than cops giving you a fine on the spot (more psychological impact and you know that you made an infraction...).
Sorry but I think that attitude is somehow right. You have to obey traffic rules.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #31794
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Sorry but I think that attitude is somehow right. You have to obey traffic rules.
But it don't works, if peoples don't even know on the moment that they didn't respected the traffic rules, how they should "learn from their mistakes"?

And sadly by the same time, even with an law enforcement higher than never, there was more people killed on roads last year than the year before, and they observed that people are less cautious on the road and obey less to trafic rules.

In my opinion this is the proof taht this "automatic" law enforcement based on hidden cops is not good, the only interest is to bring money back to the state, but it won't help to make roads safetier...
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #31795
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
But it don't works, if peoples don't even know on the moment that they didn't respected the traffic rules, how they should "learn from their mistakes"?

And sadly by the same time, even with an law enforcement higher than never, there was more people killed on roads last year than the year before, and they observed that people are less cautious on the road and obey less to trafic rules.

In my opinion this is the proof taht this "automatic" law enforcement based on hidden cops is not good, the only interest is to bring money back to the state, but it won't help to make roads safetier...
I can give you an example from Sweden.
In many of the country roads you have the so called radars. But not everyone are activated. But in any case you get warned about the radars before getting there so you have chance to lower your speed.

And therefor not many gets caught there even though everyone maybe drives faster before and after. But the main reason for the radars are to lower the speed on that area because it could be near a village, traffic junction or any other reason to prevent an accident.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #31796
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

But they could easily and more cheaply have the same solution by putting speed limit sign with the correct speed in those areas
And areas where the normal speed is much higher than the limit, then just raise or abolish the limit
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #31797
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
I can give you an example from Sweden.
In many of the country roads you have the so called radars. But not everyone are activated. But in any case you get warned about the radars before getting there so you have chance to lower your speed.

And therefor not many gets caught there even though everyone maybe drives faster before and after. But the main reason for the radars are to lower the speed on that area because it could be near a village, traffic junction or any other reason to prevent an accident.
I'm not talking about these radars. These radars are good because it has been proven that they reduce the speed in the areas where they are installed whitch are in most of the case, dangerous areas (but not in all the cases, in France they also love to put some in perfectly safe places... ).

But I was talking more specificaly about the "mobile-mobile radars" like we have in France (example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZJSMQlEWU ) and the state bought hundreds of these cars because it brings easily money as you can't see and can't know where the radar is and you don't even notice on the moment that you've commited an infraction, you will just receive a letter...

I'm not convinced of their effectiveness, especially after a number of deaths on the roads as bad as we've got last year, when they started to massively use this system of radars...
Old June 9th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #31798
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But they could easily and more cheaply have the same solution by putting speed limit sign with the correct speed in those areas
And areas where the normal speed is much higher than the limit, then just raise or abolish the limit
I think people would still drive faster then the speed limit, make it 30 they(we) drive in 40, or 130 and you will be driving at 140 just to take an example.

Quote:
I'm not talking about these radars. These radars are good because it has been proven that they reduce the speed in the areas where they are installed whitch are in most of the case, dangerous areas (but not in all the cases, in France they also love to put some in perfectly safe places... ).

But I was talking more specificaly about the "mobile-mobile radars" like we have in France (example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZJSMQlEWU ) and the state bought hundreds of these cars because it brings easily money as you can't see and can't know where the radar is and you don't even notice on the moment that you've commited an infraction, you will just receive a letter...

I'm not convinced of their effectiveness, especially after a number of deaths on the roads as bad as we've got last year, when they started to massively use this system of radars...
I maybe was not clear in my post.
I tried to give an example on the difference between trying to lower the accident rate versus just getting more money from people driving to fast with those hidden cameras.

Quote:
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #31799
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Any new links for classic Google Maps?
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #31800
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ https://www.google.com/maps/mms

keokiracer, x-type liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote