daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #31861
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
-manual transmission
Yep. My first time on the Continent - 30 years ago next month, spent the summer studying in Caen - I remember a fellow student from Norway referring to automatics as "the lazy American way of driving."
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #31862
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Many rental cars have automatic transmission. You can usually select your preference. In addition, the share of automatic transmissions is increasing in Europe.
Good thing, too. Otherwise I'd be in trouble. This will be the first time I've driven there; I want the experience and there are things I want to do I can't do by train.

Also I fell on ice a few months ago and broke a wrist; that hand's still not quite 100%, so lots of carrying luggage between trains and hotels is not something I want to try just yet.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #31863
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Abandon all rules, all ye who enter.
I followed your advices, even before reading your response I made several forbidden U-turns, more than ever before Got caught by police while doing that. Officer smiled, asked me if I was lost, showed me the way and wished me a safe journey What the attitude.
I think I would like to live in Italy.

Btw. some insights.
Driving in Austria was standard. Austrians are super-careful. Drove at 130 kph on motorway with 130 kph speed limit and overtook almost everyone.

Driving in Slovenia was exactly the opposite. Drove at 130 kph on motorway with 130 kph and got overtaken by everyone Slovenes are also "racers". When I showed my intention to change lane, turned on the indicator, the driver behind my rear in the lane I wanted to move onto speeded up to prevent me from doing that. Several times also occurred the following situation: Was driving in slow lane getting closer to slower car, turned on my indicator, changed lane, got next to the overtaken car, drove at 135 kph, the car was next to me, drove at 140 kph, the car was next to me, drove 160 kph, the car was next to me, said GaFY to myself, slowed down to 130 kph to let him gone. The situation repeated several minutes later when I caught up with him driving at 110 kph. Slovenia got me impressed nevertheless. Especially Piran.

Italy was the separate chapter. Was scared but got used to it. It was quite easy. Hope I will got rid of all the habits I got there. Otherwise I would significantly contribute to Slovak state budget.

Kanadzie, hofburg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #31864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Italy is so different from Spain in terms of driving style, from what I've seen and heard.

I haven't driven that much in Italy yet, I've been there three times, all in the north (mostly around Milano).

I want to drive south once A3 is fully completed to Reggio Calabria.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #31865
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Italy is so different from Spain in terms of driving style, from what I've seen and heard.
I drove quite many in Italy in the late 90's. It was terrible. I was in Italy several times in the recent years as well, but usually by plane (and took the public transport there), so I have only little recent experiences, but it seemed to be better then fifteen years ago, especially in motorways. But even now very bad for someone that live north of the Alps. :-)
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #31866
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

It took me one year, after I got back from Germany, to get re-accustomed to Italian driving style. Still hate it with all my heart, after 5 years...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #31867
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I followed your advices, even before reading your response I made several forbidden U-turns, more than ever before Got caught by police while doing that. Officer smiled, asked me if I was lost, showed me the way and wished me a safe journey What the attitude.

Btw. some insights.
Driving in Austria was standard. Austrians are super-careful. Drove at 130 kph on motorway with 130 kph speed limit and overtook almost everyone.

Driving in Slovenia was exactly the opposite. Drove at 130 kph on motorway with 130 kph and got overtaken by everyone Slovenes are also "racers". When I showed my intention to change lane, turned on the indicator, the driver behind my rear in the lane I wanted to move onto speeded up to prevent me from doing that. Several times also occurred the following situation: Was driving in slow lane getting closer to slower car, turned on my indicator, changed lane, got next to the overtaken car, drove at 135 kph, the car was next to me, drove at 140 kph, the car was next to me, drove 160 kph, the car was next to me, said GaFY to myself, slowed down to 130 kph to let him gone. The situation repeated several minutes later when I caught up with him driving at 110 kph. Slovenia got me impressed nevertheless. Especially Piran.

Italy was the separate chapter. Was scared but got used to it. It was quite easy. Hope I will got rid of all the habits I got there. Otherwise I would significantly contribute to Slovak state budget.
I recommend you a driving session in Tirana
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #31868
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

Quote:

I haven't driven that much in Italy yet, I've been there three times, all in the north (mostly around Milano).

I want to drive south once A3 is fully completed to Reggio Calabria.
You will need to wait 4 more years if you consider completion of all exit junctions.

You should then include some city driving in Catania, Palermo and Napoli to make the fun complete.
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #31869
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
You will need to wait 4 more years if you consider completion of all exit junctions.

You should then include some city driving in Catania, Palermo and Napoli to make the fun complete.
And Rome. It's a real hell of traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I drove quite many in Italy in the late 90's. It was terrible. I was in Italy several times in the recent years as well, but usually by plane (and took the public transport there), so I have only little recent experiences, but it seemed to be better then fifteen years ago, especially in motorways. But even now very bad for someone that live north of the Alps. :-)
In the 1990s it was worse because there was no point system in driving license (introduced in 2003) and there were less controls against speeding and DUI.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #31870
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:

Btw. some insights.

that's exactly what I hate about slovenian driving. agresivity mostly. but you should note situation used to be much worse and improved greatly in last decade. so bad driving is becoming more and more an exception.

Italy is much more relaxed, although some agresivity remains. Italians like to push you out of their lane, but they won't prevent you to change lanes

but I don't agree about Austruans driving below 130, they are also quite speeders, up to 140, but disciplined ones, respecting lanes, and roadwork limits (how is it with the latter in Italy already? )
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #31871
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

Things that bother me the msot about Italian driving:
- scooters craving out whatever space they can
- tight overtaking (even with plenty of space, many drives cut in front of you or tailgate until the last moment and don't pull over all the way either)
- double parking, angle parking on parallel-parking streets, parking over the sidewalk where not allowed
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #31872
italystf

Quote:

Btw. some insights.

How was your visit in Trieste? Did you enjoy the city? What did you see?

Yesterday the main square in Trieste looked like that, after a heavy rainfall.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #31873
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How was your visit in Trieste? Did you enjoy the city? What did you see?

Yesterday the main square in Trieste looked like that, after a heavy rainfall.

I am really impressed. The city was beautiful. We stayed in B&B at Via della Galleria. It was unable to park anywhere but in dock, so I did. An arrival of huge cruise ship was planned next day, so lot of parking places were closed.

We spent first evening at Molo Audace and walking over Piazza della Unita de Italia, when we had a dinner (pizza of course) and drink. Next day we went to Miramare Castle, walked all over the city centre and had a ride on the Opicina Tram. In evening we came to city centre to buy some solely Italian groceries for family. Last day we came to Piran, Slovania. We left at 10 AM, so the heavy rainfall caught us in the middle of Slovenia.

It was perfect, thus it was not last time I've been there.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #31874
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
but I don't agree about Austruans driving below 130, they are also quite speeders, up to 140, but disciplined ones, respecting lanes, and roadwork limits (how is it with the latter in Italy already? )
Bad, as usual
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #31875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yesterday i was driving along A3 during the sunset around 21h. obviously it's the time when those bastards go to feed themselves, or mate, or whatever. but there were zillions of them. i stopped each 80km to wash my windshield manually, and other drivers had the same problems too.
Apparently, things could be much worse. Like piles of bugs 2 feet deep on the Columbia–Wrightsville Bridge across the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33129833

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

x-type, cinxxx liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #31876
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Apparently, things could be much worse. Like piles of bugs 2 feet deep on the Columbia–Wrightsville Bridge across the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33129833
i will not complain after this anymore
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #31877
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Oh my God...
I have never seen a player failing at the 50 Euro question (it is the very first one) in Who wants to be a millionaire. Until now.
A young girl was it, she chose the wrong answer and did it so definitive that even the presenter did not manage to persuade her not to do it.
She won 0 Euro.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #31878
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I recommend you a driving session in Tirana
Or Moscow or Cairo!

Quote:
Bad, as usual
I think that something improved regard of speeding, compared to the past. The TUTOR system is now ubiquitous and people fear it. 10 years ago it was common in Italy to drive 130-140 kph and being constantly overtaken by cars driving at 160-180. Now it's less common.
Against dangerous overtaking, tailgating, use of mobile phone, poor lane discipline, middle\left lane hogging, illegal use of hard shoulders,... no TUTOR system works, so people violate these rules regularily, as chances of being prosecuted for them are slim (you need to be very unlucky and have an undercover police car behind you). And these bad driving habits are often more dangerous than a (moderate) speeding. But issuing fines for speeding with automatic systems brings more cash than patrolling the roads looking for other violations.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #31879
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Ubiquitous? In Autostrade per l'Italia stretches, maybe. Try A7, or A21 near Brescia: they're racetracks.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #31880
italystf

Quote:
Ubiquitous? In Autostrade per l'Italia stretches, maybe. Try A7, or A21 near Brescia: they're racetracks.
Also Autovie Venete network (A4, A23 and A28).

Tags
highways, motorways