daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #31921
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Same in the Netherlands today. 14 degrees and rainy.

On the other hand, the last time when it was 30 degrees early June people complained a lot due to the humidity.
I went to visit my parents. Put on my shorts, shirts and sandals. Looked like crazy summer-fool when I was returning back home. 16°C and heavy rain.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #31922
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I never complain about cold weather
You cold people, I bet even you're heart is cold!
Anyway, I can handle 15°C, but please at least give me some sun. I hate November style weather...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #31923
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

This spring was also quite windy. I like to cycle, but the fun is off once it gets over 3 beaufort (20 km/h). I had many days where the headwind part of the trip was annoying. It's a good workout, but I prefer to cycle fast in low winds than cycle slow into a strong headwind.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #31924
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
You cold people, I bet even you're heart is cold!
Anyway, I can handle 15°C, but please at least give me some sun. I hate November style weather...
I'm fine with weather as long as it's not above 25-30 degrees (Celsius of course).

Basically as long as its not raining an awful lot I don't mind. Which is something Mother Nature is giving me since we're having one of the dryest years ever,so Mother Nature might have gone a bit overboard with that
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #31925
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Map of Asia according to "The Guardian"
Notice the Iranian city of Doha

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-media-reports
BTW part of that proposed extension is already built as the railroad now extends to Shigatse.
Quote:
Same in the Netherlands today. 14 degrees and rainy.

On the other hand, the last time when it was 30 degrees early June people complained a lot due to the humidity.
Not here . However, we had a unusual 1 1/2 weeks where the weather was quite stormy.
Quote:
This spring was also quite windy. I like to cycle, but the fun is off once it gets over 3 beaufort (20 km/h). I had many days where the headwind part of the trip was annoying. It's a good workout, but I prefer to cycle fast in low winds than cycle slow into a strong headwind.
In the past week I went 12 Beaufort (hurricane-force!) off the Mexican coast . The NHC named a hurricane after me, and as I like to track those systems I did so.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #31926
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I always wonder these nationalistic urges for trivial things like regulations

Example, food-safety laws US vs EU
There are many people in USA and they all eat food, and there is no problem
There are many people in EU and they all eat food, and there are no problems.

or automobile safety standards, there are differences. But...
In EU people drive cars to ECE standard and there are no issues
in USA people drive cars to FMVSS standards and there are no issues

Except - if you are from Europe and want to move to USA, can you take your car? Illegal, doesn't meet regulations !

Clearly both regulatory regimes are preventing danger to public and are reasonably effective. It isn't like we are saying, replace EU regulations with Ugandan regulations

In short, it seems Europeans all complaining about TTIP because evil American corporations will steal all the jobs and poison the food supply with Coca-Cola
And Americans are all complaining about TTIP because evil European corporations will steal all the jobs and poison the food supply with menacing materials like French wine (I ignore Austrian wine that is poison )

It seems, to take a broad view of the situation that both arguments are political and essentially BS and we can sleep well instead
Personally, I'm all for banning European meat in North America until they can tell the difference over there between cows and horses.... (I'm joking, but seriously: assuming that American food is by definition bad and European food is by definition good is demonstrably erroneous and therefore stupid.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #31927
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
And whe are all living "in the best of possible worlds"

There is no problems because you choose to not see them.

For example GMOs like they are everywhere in the US are a big safety problem for us, this is why most of our countries are still prohibit them from been cultivated in Europe, which I believe is great as long as we still don't know what are the long term effect of these GMOs on our organism and on the biodiversity. But whe know that most of these GMOs are resistant to weedkiller and increases their use....

Same concern about hormone raised beef and chicken treated with chlorine which could be harmfull for us and forbiden for this reason, at the opposite of the US who allow the food industrials companies to do such things without beeing sure of their real impact...
Like I said, horsemeat labeled as beef. We didn't do that to you.

Quote:
And whe are all living "in the best of possible worlds"

For car safety, I don't know this precise topic, so I have nothing to say about it...

But about car, in the last years, EU put much pressure on car manufacturers to lower the CO2 emissions of their cars so we could drive more environmental-friendly cars as we must make efforts against global warming. Obviously most of the US states don't share this point of view...

So in this situation what choice they could make?
We adopted unleaded years before you did, and we don't spend every weekend in July pumping diesel fumes into the air above the Rhône valley.

The notion that Europe is green is ridiculous. To a lot of us, it looks overcrowded and dirty. I don't think a lot of Americans go to Europe to enjoy nature. We've got enough of it here. It's laudable that Europe is trying hard to be green, but you'd fallen so far you need it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #31928
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I'm fine with weather as long as it's not above 25-30 degrees (Celsius of course).

Basically as long as its not raining an awful lot I don't mind. Which is something Mother Nature is giving me since we're having one of the dryest years ever,so Mother Nature might have gone a bit overboard with that
I'm fine with weather as long as it is above 25°C and sunny
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #31929
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Personally, I'm all for banning European meat in North America until they can tell the difference over there between cows and horses.... (I'm joking, but seriously: assuming that American food is by definition bad and European food is by definition good is demonstrably erroneous and therefore stupid.)
In Quebec horsemeat is expensive and a delicacy, served only in the finest / avantgarde restaurants, I was always wondering why people in Europe were so up in arms, I would have stayed quiet and bought as much as possible
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #31930
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
We adopted unleaded years before you did, and we don't spend every weekend in July pumping diesel fumes into the air above the Rhône valley.
You do that every day of the year with those gas-guzzling pick-up trucks and SUVs.

If there's one thing US cars/trucks are not it's efficient.
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #31931
Kanadzie

in fuel consumption sure, but you don't see cars blowing smoke in the US like in Europe...
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #31932
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I don't know what cars blowing smoke you're talking about cause you only see that stuff in really old cars or when it's really fvcking cold.
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #31933
Kanadzie

exactly
In America you never even see that on old cars
But it is real that US has always had much stricter regulation of automobile pollution (HC, CO, NOx, particulates) in strict (grams/km) than Europe, even that they had such rules well before. Example catalyst became common in West Europe in early 1990's, in US it was 1975 Fuel injection became common in the US well in advance of Europe, even on European-made cars that still had carburettor in home market.
Only now the EURO V / EURO VI standards have become broadly similar to the US Tier II / Tier III levels...
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #31934
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
In Quebec horsemeat is expensive and a delicacy, served only in the finest / avantgarde restaurants, I was always wondering why people in Europe were so up in arms, I would have stayed quiet and bought as much as possible
In Europe, except UK, consumption of horsemeat is socially acceptable, and it's commonly available on the market.
However it's fair that a product is labelled for what is it. It's not just a matter of horse meat, also selling pork labelled as beef or Greek wine labelled as Italian would be cheating.
Quote:
in fuel consumption sure, but you don't see cars blowing smoke in the US like in Europe...
I don't think fuel consumtion is the biggest issue for Americans, considering their very low fuel prices, for a country with high living standards.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #31935
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
i just wanted to say the same
Quote:
It's not just a matter of horse meat, also selling pork labelled as beef or Greek wine labelled as Italian would be cheating.
it actually happens. european market is flooded with Southafrican and Australian wines produced in France.
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #31936
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

A Dutch labor union is going to sue a Dutch transport company for paying foreign drivers far too low salaries. According to the union, they pay Lithuanian and Romanian drivers € 220 per month.

What Lithuanian driver wants to have such a job? According to Statistics Lithuania the average monthly earning in the country is near € 700 in the private sector. And truckers often have a relatively high income compared to workers with similar education, because they work longer hours. Why work for a Dutch company that pays 70% lower salaries than in Lithuania?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #31937
bogdymol
bogdymod

Maybe 220 E is just the basic salary, but they get more money every month from bonuses or black money. The drivers are happy when at the end of the month the total money they get is a decent amount, and they don't care how they are recorded on paper.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:16 AM   #31938
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Like I said, horsemeat labeled as beef. We didn't do that to you.
You should show me where I said that the european food safety model is ideal without problems, I didn't said that, and it's clearly not the case. You're right, it's a shame. But I truely think that this is maybe what happens when we sadly follow what americans do, transforming the food industry into a massive business where anyone could trade food as if it would be a simple raw material like steal and other.... and like the sh*tty products (sorry but it is the case) who have used this horse meat in their products (ready meals and abominations like this that we got too much in ours supermarkets now ), I think that this kind of aliments "ready to eat" who use the cheapest products available on the market appeared firstly in US and it is invading Europe now...

And US is the master of cheap industrial food with plenty of additives and artificial coupounds, most of the safety food problems we've got now are coming from the fact that industrials (most of them are US corporations) want to sell the same king of products in Europe. This is why I truely believe that with TAFTA, US industrials will got the possibility to go further and the situation of food safety in Europe will be way way worst than now...

Quote:

The notion that Europe is green is ridiculous. To a lot of us, it looks overcrowded and dirty. I don't think a lot of Americans go to Europe to enjoy nature. We've got enough of it here. It's laudable that Europe is trying hard to be green, but you'd fallen so far you need it.
Yes, you're right, during decades whe choosed fuel economies instead of safety/a cleaner air, and it's a big error who is corrected since 2010' with particle filters who are mandatory on new cars, and many European governments are now stopping to give lower taxes on diesel (because it was considered cleaner due of it's lower consumption...).

I can say the same of big US cities, I have bad memories about NY or LA for example who are not really a great example of cleaness, just like our European capitals... But just like in the US, if you go outside these big cities, there is not realy such pollution....

Oh that's another discussion here ! In US you have some wonderfull parks, but there is many things that are way better in Europe, and you should change your mind about the nature in Europe : we have some wonderfull mountains like Alps or Pyrénées for example, we have some great coast like soutern France (eg : the Corse island is a pearl of nature, a must do!!) or Spain or Italy or even Croatia, Croatia who got some magnificient parks who are equivalent or exceed US parks, in the northern Europe you can find the wonderful Fjords in Norway, etc......
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:34 AM   #31939
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
In Europe, except UK, consumption of horsemeat is socially acceptable, and it's commonly available on the market.
However it's fair that a product is labelled for what is it. It's not just a matter of horse meat, also selling pork labelled as beef or Greek wine labelled as Italian would be cheating.
The fact is that this horsemeat was coming from estern Europe where horses are used for their work/to travel. Some of them has been treated with medications who forbidden them to be used for human consumption because these drugs stay in the horse meat and are pottentialy dangerous for us...

Quote:
I don't think fuel consumtion is the biggest issue for Americans, considering their very low fuel prices, for a country with high living standards.
As long as US stay dependant to gas as they are now (and whe are too), it will push them to doo some poor choices with big environmental problems like shal gas (or oilsands for Canada), probably that the only good idea for them is to have the cheapest possible energy, without thinking about the consequencies...

I think that the fact that we have more expensive energy in Europe push us to make more economies in the way we use them, and after all this is certainly the simpliest solution to reduce pollution in a short term view.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:59 AM   #31940
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
I think that the fact that we have more expensive energy in Europe push us to make more economies in the way we use them, and after all this is certainly the simpliest solution to reduce pollution in a short term view.
What kind of "energy" are you talking about, nuclear power, wind power, solar energy, tidal energy, coal, gas,...?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways