daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2015, 01:36 PM   #31941
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The notion that Europe is green is ridiculous. To a lot of us, it looks overcrowded and dirty. I don't think a lot of Americans go to Europe to enjoy nature. We've got enough of it here. It's laudable that Europe is trying hard to be green, but you'd fallen so far you need it.
I would certainly agree that the US has more nature than Europe. This is simple, the density is rather different and the urbanisation happened in different time periods. So yes, there is much more raw nature in America than in Europe. And then, don't forget that there is Scandinavia, and there is Russia. If we would add Russia to the picture, there is quite a lot of raw nature still present in Europe.

However. If we would look at the way people live, their urban environment, their cities... I would say that Europe is quite greener than the US. And it is most certainly more environment friendly.

winnipeg liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:27 PM   #31942
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
What kind of "energy" are you talking about, nuclear power, wind power, solar energy, tidal energy, coal, gas,...?
I was thinking about oil/gas, who I think, is the most important energy in our continent in term of use...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:32 PM   #31943
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Which is quite dirty.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:39 PM   #31944
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I would certainly agree that the US has more nature than Europe. This is simple, the density is rather different and the urbanisation happened in different time periods. So yes, there is much more raw nature in America than in Europe. And then, don't forget that there is Scandinavia, and there is Russia. If we would add Russia to the picture, there is quite a lot of raw nature still present in Europe.

However. If we would look at the way people live, their urban environment, their cities... I would say that Europe is quite greener than the US. And it is most certainly more environment friendly.

Very interresting (thank you for these illustrations), but I didn't agree that (in US or Europe) low density area = raw nature. In our both continents, when it's possible, these areas are now mainly used for farming when it's possible, so for northern US states (like Dakotas for example) it may have very few population, but it's intensively used for farming... so for me it's not "raw nature"...

But yeah in the southern states like Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc... where it's hot and dry, you will find large areas of raw nature, but (in my opinion) with not a big interest compared to raw nature in wet areas. But yes by considering these kind of areas, it is certainly true that US have more raw nature than Europe!
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:44 PM   #31945
winnipeg

Quote:
Which is quite dirty.
Totally!

But (in my opinion) I think that the fact that this energy is way more expensive in Europe, maybe we are a little bit less dependant of it or at least, it push us to find better alternatives or to make enconomies of this energy...
Old June 21st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #31946
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
it push us to find better alternatives or to make enconomies of this energy...
Not very successful up to now...

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:18 PM   #31947
winnipeg

That's true!

But at least we are less fossil fuel dependent in Europe : http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...?display=graph So we are on the good way, and these statistics show that we are becoming less dependent from fossil fuel faster than the US...

It's also interesting to see that compared to US, our use of energy per capita has nothing to see, we use 2-2,5 time less energy per capita than the US... : http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...?display=graph
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:46 PM   #31948
MichiH

Quote:
But at least we are less fossil fuel dependent in Europe : http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...?display=graph So we are on the good way, and these statistics show that we are becoming less dependent from fossil fuel faster than the US...
Energy generated of gas and coal is reliable while renewable energy must be hedged against fluctuations. Nuclear energy is clean but not eco-friendly in the end.

The majority of Germans even thinks that nuclear energy is the worst kind of energy. All nuclear plants have to be deactivated by 2022. That's why new fossil-fuel power stations are built. Energy storages could also help but they had to be hugh and no one wants them.

The beloved Bavarian CSU party (= car toll party) doesn't like wind farms anymore, doesn't like new power transmission lines (both destroy the landscape; I think it's the 2nd most important CSU hustings topic) and doesn't want to store nuclear waste (while Bavaria produced the highest share within Germany, it's a new topic since last week). It's not just a party hustings, it's usually citizen-initiated. NIMBYs...

Maybe Germany is different to the rest of Europe...

winnipeg liked this post
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:52 PM   #31949
winnipeg

Quote:
Energy generated of gas and coal is reliable while renewable energy must be hedged against fluctuations. Nuclear energy is clean but not eco-friendly in the end.

The majority of Germans even thinks that nuclear energy is the worst kind of energy. All nuclear plants have to be deactivated by 2022. That's why new fossil-fuel power stations are built. Energy storages could also help but they had to be hugh and no one wants them.

The beloved Bavarian CSU party (= car toll party) doesn't like wind farms anymore, doesn't like new power transmission lines (both destroy the landscape; I think it's the 2nd most important CSU hustings topic) and doesn't want to store nuclear waste (while Bavaria produced the highest share within Germany, it's a new topic since last week). It's not just a party hustings, it's usually citizen-initiated. NIMBYs...

Maybe Germany is different to the rest of Europe...
Yes, it's true, each renewable energy has it's problems. That's why we have to "mix" them so we can have a secure energy providing.

About nuclear, it is one of the energies who has the less short-term impact (including CO2), and if everything is done in safe conditions, mostly for wastes (like we do in France), there is no problem (in my opinion), that's why I believe that it's a good energy while we develop reneweble energy.

For me what has done Germany is stupid (sorry for this word), it's just closing his eyes in face of the situation. Using more coal like they will do will solve nothing, the short term impact of this decision is terrible (more CO2, more polution, etc...) and anyway they will continue to use nuclear energy as they will massively buy electricity from its neighbors like France who produce mainly from nuclear. So finaly this decision didn't solved anything I believe...

Interresting! We have the same king of problems in France, and it's even one of our old president who is still alive (Valéry Giscard d'Estaing) who have strongly criticized winds farms for also "destroying the landscape".... Hopefully he haven't got followed by many on this topic, but the installation of winds farms take too much time in France, it is so much complicated, there has been hundreds of projects who are wainting/been abandonned because of the complexity with french regulations to build such installations...
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:03 PM   #31950
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Germans just turned Austrians in their relation to the nuclear energy. Quite regressive stances both imho.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:09 PM   #31951
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Interresting! We have the same king of problems in France
First I thought you lived in Winnipeg, then Arad, but apparently you live in France.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:10 PM   #31952
MichiH

Quote:
For me what has done Germany is stupid (sorry for this word),
I'm really pissed off now! Using "stupid" is an insult to stupid people. I think Germany is crackbrained, screwball,... regarding electricity generation.

It seems that most of the Germans think that electricity comes from the socket (there's a German saying "Strom kommt aus der Steckdose").

Who cares, if there's any problem with fluctuations, just buy electricity from France or Czech Republic. And hey, it's even cheaper . Germans are really clever about energy .

Quote:
it's just closing his eyes in face of the situation. [...]
I absolutely agree .

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:12 PM   #31953
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
First I thought you lived in Winnipeg, then Arad, but apparently you live in France.
He's Canadian, born in Arad, living in France, working in SSC

Kanadzie, winnipeg liked this post
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:41 PM   #31954
bogdymol
bogdymod

After the clinched highways site, another road-related website has died: motorways-exitlists.com
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:54 PM   #31955
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

What? It was legendary.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:05 PM   #31956
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

It wasn't updated too often anyway.

By the way, the Clinched Highways thing is being resurrected from the AARoads forums. A sneak peak (sic.): It may use travelmapping dot net as domain.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:26 PM   #31957
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I am looking for a dash cam. There are hundreds of them on eBay... Mini 0806 looks like a good choice. Is it there a suction mount to it?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:30 PM   #31958
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

A suction mount should come with it.
Seeing you live in Sheffield (UK) this wont be much of a problem for you, but keep the camera cool. When the cam gets (too) hot it might start to act little funky. Overheating seems to be the cause of many little but also more serious errors and bugs.

Maybe ChrisZwolle can share some of his experience(s) with his 0806 so far.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:50 PM   #31959
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The mini 0806 has no suction mount, but a fixed mount. However, the camera can be easily removed when needed. I found the mount better than the typical large suction mount of my previous dashcam 'Scott'. It requires much less space, and the camera is invisible from the driver's position.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:32 PM   #31960
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

To be clear : I'm a french guy who is studying in Romania (Arad) and who has visited the US and Canada (and when I registered on SSC, I thinked about Winnipeg for no reason! )

Verso liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways