daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:57 PM   #31981
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Germany and Italy are all anti-nuclear, but very happy to buy peak loads or even continuous supplies from France, which relies heavily on nuclear energy.
At least if accidents occur, they're not in our territory...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM   #31982
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Yes. Oh really nice!

So this region has no secret to you!
The biggest secret was how to get to Ronchamp (no GPS back then). We were driving in and around Belfort like crazy.

And we went to Saut du Doubs by boat and there was a lady yodeling on the way there.

Oh, and once I drove here at night and almost drove straight on the railway tracks, because I thought those signs/signals in the back were standing on the road.

winnipeg liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM   #31983
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The biggest secret was how to get to Ronchamp (no GPS back then). We were driving in and around Belfort like crazy.

And we went to Saut du Doubs by boat and there was a lady yodeling on the way there.

Oh, and once I drove here at night and almost drove straight on the railway tracks, because I thought those signs/signals in the back were standing on the road.
Nice!

Yes and it's a bit less funny now with GPS, there no more adventure, no more asking to locals, etc...

I see!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:10 PM   #31984
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It can be funny if GPS takes you somewhere you didn't plan to go.

winnipeg liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #31985
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
now you opened nice idea to think about - what was the oldest car that you drove? i'll go with 1977 Renault 4
I'm surprised how much difficulty I have to answer this question
I think... it would be my 1976 Pontiac Firebird (6.55 litre engine )
I hope to drive it again when its even older (it's sitting in a field now)

I sort-of had a 1972 Jeepster Commando when I was a kid but I don't think I ever drove it...
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:18 PM   #31986
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

My cousin's Corsa/Nova that I'm driving here is from 1991.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:27 PM   #31987
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
At least if accidents occur, they're not in our territory...
But here is the thing - the alternative to nuclear is often burning coal, or gas, and that guarantees pollution and a marginal increase on a sleuth of health problems.

Nuclear accidents can be catastrophic, but their statistical probability per MHw produced is very small.

The largest civilian accident in Italy was even on a green energy facility (a hydro power dam)...

Italy could do well with a handful of nuclear power plants. Just put them not extremely close to major cities and use all the latest seismic protection available.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:49 PM   #31988
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
But here is the thing - the alternative to nuclear is often burning coal, or gas, and that guarantees pollution and a marginal increase on a sleuth of health problems.

Nuclear accidents can be catastrophic, but their statistical probability per MHw produced is very small.

The largest civilian accident in Italy was even on a green energy facility (a hydro power dam)...

Italy could do well with a handful of nuclear power plants. Just put them not extremely close to major cities and use all the latest seismic protection available.
You seem to forget the problem of radioactive waste (used nuclear fuel). It remains radioactive for millennia and there's no known technology to destroy it or make it harmless. The only way is to bury radioactive waste in sealed containers, but there's always a risk of leakage.
Considering mafia's role in illegal waste disposal, I wouldn't feel safe with nuclear plants in Italy (I'm not very safe anyway, with Krsko at 200km).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #31989
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You seem to forget the problem of radioactive waste (used nuclear fuel). It remains radioactive for millennia and there's no known technology to destroy it or make it harmless. The only way is to bury radioactive waste in sealed containers, but there's always a risk of leakage.
Considering mafia's role in illegal waste disposal, I wouldn't feel safe with nuclear plants in Italy (I'm not very safe anyway, with Krsko at 200km).
Coal extraction leaves gigantic scars on the territory. One single open-pit coal mine can accommodate the entire nuclear waste of Europe generated over a century with 10x more reactros than now.

Scandinavia and Iceland have plenty of uninhabited land and I'm sure they would be able to spare some islands for an European Nuclear Storage Facility.

Italy could build a nuclear facility in one of the islands, what about Pantelleria for instance?

winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:20 PM   #31990
Kanadzie

yes but dumping the waste in a coal mine would let water leach out the minerals and become environmental disaster.
But the plans for storing the material in hard rock formations look sound (Yucca mountain (failed), or Finland etc)

To be honest we should use EU integration to advantage and ship all nuclear waste to Finland for storage, and then the Finns can put water pipes around the waste to keep the saunas warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This is actually pretty fixable, you can just run the reactor in a "breeding" mode that puts out more fuel than it consumes
The worry is that it produces lots of plutonium that can be used for bombs by corrupt regimes
Then again I think France is doing something similar in reprocessing spent fuel.

In any event the radioactive waste is quite small. I think virtually all that has been created is still staying inside the power plant where it was generated, so far. It isn't a large volume of material.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:41 PM   #31991
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
In France I come from Franche-comté, the region where Peugeot was born. My dad worked few years in a Peugeot factory, and in my family I had an engineer who worked at Peugeot, and has participated to the development of diesel engines (which is kind of funny when you see what we talked about right before on this topic )
I work at the world's largest supplier of automotive components, mainly (diesel) engines .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM   #31992
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Scandinavia and Iceland have plenty of uninhabited land and I'm sure they would be able to spare some islands for an European Nuclear Storage Facility.

Italy could build a nuclear facility in one of the islands, what about Pantelleria for instance?
And they would accept our toxic waste for sure...
If a area in unhabitated, it doesn't mean that it hasn't an environmental value. And an accidental radioactive leakage can contaminate the environment for over 1000km (like Chernobyl), not to mention if radioactive stuff flows into the sea (like it may happens in an island).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:14 AM   #31993
Suburbanist
on the road

A funny 1940s Dutch video about enforcing traffic laws in an urban environment

Alex_ZR, winnipeg, tom666 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:17 AM   #31994
Kanadzie

oh la-la meneer
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:25 AM   #31995
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
This is actually pretty fixable, you can just run the reactor in a "breeding" mode that puts out more fuel than it consumes
The worry is that it produces lots of plutonium that can be used for bombs by corrupt regimes
Then again I think France is doing something similar in reprocessing spent fuel.

In any event the radioactive waste is quite small. I think virtually all that has been created is still staying inside the power plant where it was generated, so far. It isn't a large volume of material.
Yes, I think that it's MOX : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOX_fuel
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:25 AM   #31996
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I work at the world's largest supplier of automotive components, mainly (diesel) engines .
Nice !
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:24 AM   #31997
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
You serious? Italy's main business is tourism, and Pantelleria is a major summer holiday destination...

In Italy we already have 4 decommisioned nuclear plants. To me, fission nuclear energy problems are far larger than its advantages...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:05 PM   #31998
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I went to the city pool today,was my first time in this year ,and i ended up with painfull burns...
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:10 PM   #31999
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
now you opened nice idea to think about - what was the oldest car that you drove? i'll go with 1977 Renault 4
When i was 4 years old by grandpa still had his 1988 Aleko.That car is actually very conformable.Now my grandpa drives Opel Astra H and when i compare them Aleko is still better.

winnipeg liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:22 PM   #32000
Kanadzie

A fake French car will still be more comfortable than a real German

winnipeg liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways