daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #32041
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I got the last 3 fines (September & June) within 2 weeks. But perhaps there's no agreement with the German department of motor vehicles yet.

Most speed cameras are on state-owned roads and motorways. These tend to be randomly signed in advanced or not at all. Speed cameras on toll motorways are fewer in number and usually signposted in advance.
Perhaps they like to target the yellow plates (GB, NL)
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #32042
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
But the only europeans who are really "protected" against these radars are the dansih, english and irish (no collaboration with other europeans countries).
How can it be legal? I though that a sort of cooperation between police forces was mandatory bu EU laws.
However, Garda Síochána (Irish police) used to send traffic fines abroad, especially to Poland. Or, at least, they tried to do that:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/7899171.stm
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kanadzie liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #32043
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How can it be legal? I though that a sort of cooperation between police forces was mandatory bu EU laws.
However, Garda Síochána (Irish police) used to send traffic fines abroad, especially to Poland. Or, at least, they tried to do that:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/7899171.stm
I don't know if it's really mandatory (UK has a big influence on UE and they can choose to not applying some measures like this I guess...). But for sure UK don't cooperate with other police forces (eg : an UK car in France won't receive fines from automatic radars ).

Nice story!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:57 AM   #32044
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I don't know about you all, but cars I've driven with a GPS onboard almost always have a 5-10 km/h difference between speed shown on speedometer (even digital ones that display a speed) and actual speed measured by GPS (which is quite precise with 4 or more satellites locked in).

The car I found the most outrageous differences was an Alfa Romeo: needle exactly over 130km/h actually meant a real speed of 116-7km/h. I checked that on several occasions, different highways, and even different GPS devices.

There are some differences on the odometer, but differences are rather low (less than 1%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Yes you paid the private companies who own them and who stole our motorways! (France has lost 9 billion Euros by privitising the motorways due to our corrupted politicians... this is such a scandal. And now we are paying a very high price to use these motorways and the private companies who own it makes huge profit, bigger and bigger every year... )
How long are French concessions?

I find it extremely stupid to give out concessions in exchange of upfront money, it is always better to give them out for the lowest toll fare proposed.
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #32045
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I must say I'm really liking the 91 Corsa/Nova I'm driving, I like it's simplicity. I think I may well buy something like this to run around in in the year I'll spend in Corsica.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #32046
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I don't know about you all, but cars I've driven with a GPS onboard almost always have a 5-10 km/h difference between speed shown on speedometer (even digital ones that display a speed) and actual speed measured by GPS (which is quite precise with 4 or more satellites locked in).

The car I found the most outrageous differences was an Alfa Romeo: needle exactly over 130km/h actually meant a real speed of 116-7km/h. I checked that on several occasions, different highways, and even different GPS devices.

There are some differences on the odometer, but differences are rather low (less than 1%).
If the difference in odometer is small and difference in speedometer is large, it means, the car is purposely designed to lie to you

I've driven many American cars that were spot on (well, +/- 1km/h, but that might be looking at 147,4 read by needle vs. 147,6 read by GPS)

European cars are really bad about this. I think because ECE norm requires speed to be displayed something like +10 % and -0%.
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #32047
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How long are French concessions?

I find it extremely stupid to give out concessions in exchange of upfront money, it is always better to give them out for the lowest toll fare proposed.
Concessions are for 50 to 60-70 years depending of the portion.

Yes, this is a very stupid choice and as only one man has pushed this privatisation (the guy who was prime minister 10 years ago) and he makes this more for the interest of friends/those private companies who own it now. And some recent serious reports has shown that worst of all, the government sold it too cheap, making a generous "gift" by selling them 9 billion Euros below the real price....

And now the price of toll increase even more than inflation, and the companies who manage the motorways are making up to 51% of margins... Such a cash machine...

Now the government is putting pressure to invest more in motorways... but this is certainly just words, nothing really concrete as they can't really do anything now...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #32048
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

50 years is too long. Ideally, concessions should ran for a maximum of 20-30 years.

winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #32049
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Mapped travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
By the way, the Clinched Highways thing is being resurrected from the AARoads forums. A sneak peak (sic.): It may use travelmapping dot net as domain.
Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day! There's a prototype of the database on a different server but it seems that I've clinched almost 90% of the German Autobahn network meanwhile .

It's a layer on google maps with zoom feature. One can combine systems and regions, e.g.: http://www.teresco.org/~terescoj/tra...L,ROU&u=michih (please switch to satellite view, I think it looks better).
It's just a prototype of the database/map but the website itself is not yet implemented (the implementation of a prototype has recently been started: http://travelmapping.sammdot.ca/).

The total length of the network is incorrect because concurrent highways are not yet accounted for the calculation and many features are still missing (browser, stats, reporting,...).
You could contribute with programming skills. Please refer to aaroads.com/forum for more info.

Some users have already provided their data so that Jim Teresco can test his database code: http://www.teresco.org/~terescoj/travelmapping/logs/.
Up to now, Jim only wants to get list files of existing users with experience. He's willing to upload their log files (e.g. from bogdymol, Chris, cinx, spinoza,...) "if they'd like to check it out." "Anything that doesn't look right is worth reporting."

You can login on aaroads forum and sent a PM to Jim or sent a SSC PM to me. You'll get Jim's email address for sending your list file or to allow Jim using your list file from the existing cmap.m-plex.com data base.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #32050
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think it looks much better now, with the clinched highways drawn over Google Maps. The best thing is that you can see entire Europe and can zoom in and out as you wish.

My file from cmap.m-plex.com data base is very outdated, but Jim can use it without problems for testing. You can PM me his e-mail address so I can send it to him.

I really wish this new database will work.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #32051
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I will share my map too. Please provide me with his E-Mail
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #32052
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Somebody is having a bad day (today at a shopping mall parking lot near Tallinn):

Source:http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudise...to?id=71788595

piotr71 liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #32053
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2300

WTF! Where did they came from?
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #32054
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Greetings from Bolzano/Bozen, Italy
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #32055
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

A dog's feeling has been always mystery to me. My fiancée was given her dog when she was 11. When she (the dog) was 5, the mother of my fiancée got pregnant and left to maternity leave for 4 years. When the maternity leave ended, me and my fiancée moved to our new apartment. The dog was 9 and was not used to be alone in apartment. It meant a problem for us as she was barking whole day when we was at school/work. Sometimes (when we knew we would be in school/work until late night) we take her (dog) to my parents and she completely fell in love with the cloth their sofa was made of.

Meanwhile our dog suffered from separation anxiety and she always moved to the room where we stayed. If we moved to the kitchen, the dog run fast to the kitchen.

So, we have decided to buy her a lair made of the same material as my parents' sofa. I can believe it, but she stays in that lair with calm expression all day since. She is like "I don't care where you are, I am in my cosy den".

Attus, cinxxx liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #32056
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Greetings from Bolzano/Bozen, Italy
Bolzano/Bozen/Bulsan/Bocen/Boceno/Bolzan/Bauzanum/Bocenas/Bulsaun/Bolzanu/Buzzanu . One of the lamest edit wars on Wikipedia involved this city.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #32057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

After 4 months with a lack of good summer / spring weather, people are ready for summer. But this? The record high in the Netherlands is 38,6°C.

Forecast for 4 July:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #32058
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But this?
Are Dutch like Germans? Always complaining about everything...........

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Kanadzie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #32059
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

Yep Most Dutch are Germans if you go back long enough

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #32060
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I don't have to go far back to see I'm partially Belgian

If you're new to The Netherlands: complaining is what we like to do, particularly about the weather. For me: <25 degrees and not rain and I'm good with it. Couldn't carre if it's 5 or 25 degrees. I really dislike hot weather so next week is gonna be a lot of 'fun'...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways