daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #32161
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The economic advantage of coins is that they last pratically forever
But they're much costlier than notes, especially with regards to their face value... some coins are worth more in pure metal and production costs than their face value...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:10 PM   #32162
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Wow, that's even less valued than the 50 peseta cents coin I have somewhere (nominally €0.003, but since Spain got rid of peseta cents by the 80s, I think its value today would be close to that).
0.10 and 0.20 SIT coins were never in circulation though. They minted them, but immediately decided not to put them in circulation. 0.50 SIT coins (0.002 EUR) were in circulation for a few years though. Then they fell out of use, but I still had a ton of them at home (they accumulated because I was never using them). One day I trolled a saleswoman at a nearby store with one of them. Something cost (for example) 150.74 SIT (I have no idea why they used decimals). She said "151 SIT, please" (as they always would). I gave her 150.50 SIT. She looked at it and said "Is this still valid?" I replied "Sure, why not?" Then she said "ok, but it's 151 SIT, not 150.50". I replied "150.50 is closer to 150.74 than 151 is". She gave me an angry look and accepted it.

Alex_ZR liked this post

Last edited by Verso; July 4th, 2015 at 03:17 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:15 PM   #32163
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I'm always annoyed by the € 0.01 and € 0.02 coins I get as change on vacation. I never use them, they just hog your wallet.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:28 PM   #32164
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

I save coins below € 0,50 until I have enough to make couple Euro, then I go to the supermarket and annoy the cashier dumping the stack of coins on a small grocery purchase.

I have a coin organizer for that though.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:29 PM   #32165
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I have a big vase at home filled with these coins.
I have to count them someday, I think there is some value there
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:29 PM   #32166
Suburbanist
on the road

Solar Impulse is about to complete a 5-day long crossing between Japan and Hawaii, using only solar energy and batteries

cinxxx, winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #32167
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I have a big vase at home filled with these coins.
I have to count them someday, I think there is some value there
I used to do this as well, but it's really unnecessary. Just use them every time you can and they won't accumulate. Cashiers will be happy too.

Alex_ZR liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM   #32168
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I save coins below € 0,50 until I have enough to make couple Euro, then I go to the supermarket and annoy the cashier dumping the stack of coins on a small grocery purchase.

I have a coin organizer for that though.
In my french bank they have a very nice and usefull machine : you just trow your coins and the machine count them and it will be credited on your account. No need to calculate how much you have and how you can use them...

Also in France the law is telling that you can't pay with more than 20 coins, so it's harder to use the small coins except for everyday purchases (like baguette )...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:43 PM   #32169
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I used to do this as well, but it's really unnecessary. Just use them every time you can and they won't accumulate. Cashiers will be happy too.
Everytime I can, I use my credit card, so I don't get my pockets full of them, and it works!

And thankfully to the contactless payment who is curently being deployed (even in Romania ), this is even easier!
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:57 PM   #32170
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
But they're much costlier than notes, especially with regards to their face value... some coins are worth more in pure metal and production costs than their face value...
Only 0,01€ and 0,02€ cost more than their face value, and we could stop minting them or make them with cheaper material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
0.10 and 0.20 SIT coins were never in circulation though. They minted them, but immediately decided not to put them in circulation.
I have these two in my collection of foreign coins (all cheap stuff purchased years ago in a lot at a flea market). Maybe they are a rarity as they were never put in circulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Also in France the law is telling that you can't pay with more than 20 coins, so it's harder to use the small coins except for everyday purchases (like baguette )...
I think it's 50 coins (it's an European law).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post

Last edited by italystf; July 3rd, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:23 PM   #32171
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
In my french bank they have a very nice and usefull machine : you just trow your coins and the machine count them and it will be credited on your account. No need to calculate how much you have and how you can use them...
We have them in Blighty too. Banks have their own machines but you find Coinstar machines in supermarkets. Mind, in true British rip-off style, they charge you 9% commission on the amount you change.

If you have an account with the bank who's machine your using, you don't get charged and have the option of cash or depositing it into your account.

winnipeg liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #32172
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Only 0,01€ and 0,02€ cost more than their face value, and we could stop minting them or make them with cheaper material.
Fives also, they cost somewhere near 0.57€
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:53 PM   #32173
winnipeg

Quote:
I think it's 50 coins (it's an European law).
You're right!
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #32174
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I don't get these costs of money manufacturing. I don't think it is (should be) related to how much particular coin or banknote is actually worth. Producing it is simply one of the costs that the bank (ECB?) has. So what if making 0,05 € coin costs more than it is worth, making a banknote of 500 € doesn't nearly cost 500€, coins also last longer.

whole money printing and putting it into system is a mystery to me one must also consider that with every cent printed/made, euro is worth less because there are more euros out there than the economy is actually worth.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #32175
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Shark,shark !!
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #32176
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I have these two in my collection of foreign coins (all cheap stuff purchased years ago in a lot at a flea market). Maybe they are a rarity as they were never put in circulation.
I had to buy the 0.10 SIT coin too, but once I got the 0.20 SIT coin somewhere in early '90s (but I don't know where, I only noticed it at home). I've had it for over 20 years now. Most Slovenes probably weren't even aware of their existence.

Last edited by Verso; July 4th, 2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #32177
Verso
Islander

How 'bout this?

http://www.leftovercurrency.com/bank...an-tolars2.php

It was never in circulation though.

winnipeg liked this post
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #32178
Suburbanist
on the road

When Yugoslavia disintegrated, what was the sequence of new currency introductions? The same as the sequence of countries leaving Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro?)
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #32179
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #32180
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
When they were working for the adoption of the euro, back in the late 90s, Italian government proposed 1€ and 2€ notes instead of coins. In Italy the biggest coin was worth 0,52€ (1000 ITL).
However, most developed countries today use high-value coins: 2€, 2£ in UK, 2$ in Canada, 500 Yen in Japan, 5 CHF in Switzerland. The USA is an exception, as they like to keep the 1$ bill, but they have the 1$ coin too.
The economic advantage of coins is that they last pratically forever (until the country changes currency or type of coins), while notes need to be replaced when they are worn (and vending machines won't read them).
In Canada they replaced $1 bill with $1 coin (loonie) in 1987
They replaced $2 bill with $2 coin in 1996
I remember the change and nobody was happy with it, but eventually accepted it.

US has a kind of democratic sensibility that stops it from forcing things like this on a population that doesn't want it (same thing as like happened viz. metrication in US) I can't say it's a bad thing.

If you drive in Chicago area there are a lot of toll motorways that accept only coins, and are mechanical (no person) and the toll is always like $1.50 so you need these ******* dollar coins. But nobody has them, and I never even saw one before I ended up there
Ended up I just didn't pay the toll and hit the gas to drive away

Tags
highways, motorways