daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #32241
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
We don't have to go that far. I might be wrong but point similar to singularity could be even in the middle of Earth.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong
We can calculate pretty well what's inside the center of the Earth, and there is nothing like a singularity. The internal nucleus has a density of ~15 g/cm^3, while a singularity is, by definition, infinite. So the difference between infinite and 15 is still infinite.
The conditions inside the Earth are not even that extreme to call quantum mechanics in. We can perfectly describe Earth using classical "Newtonian" mechanics.

Quote:
And we do not know what would happen if Earth was hollow in the middle and someone fell there. Would he be floating or ripped off?

Of course we know that. Calculations like those were made back in 17th century and are part of Physics 101, every university freshman can do that.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #32242
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Of course we know that. Calculations like those were made back in 17th century and are part of Physics 101, every university freshman can do that.
So what will happen?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #32243
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
So what will happen?
It depends on the mass distribution of the upper crust layers, but if we consider that homogeneous, you will fall initially accelerating like g, progressively reducing the acceleration until you will reach maximum speed and minimum acceleration (zero) at the very center. If we assume no friction due to atmosphere, passing the centre you will reduce your speed because the downward acceleration will begin growing again, until you emerge on the other side of Earth with maximum downward acceleration (g) and minimum speed (zero).

(Of course assuming Earth not-rotating, it will be a bit more complicated if we consider the rotation of Earth)
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #32244
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

New official all-time temperature record for Germany:

5th July 2015: Kitzingen, Lower Franconia (40.3 °C; 104.5 °F)

http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/appmanager/bv...w_klima_umwelt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

g.spinoza, cinxxx liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #32245
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It depends on the mass distribution of the upper crust layers, but if we consider that homogeneous, you will fall initially accelerating like g, progressively reducing the acceleration until you will reach maximum speed and minimum acceleration (zero) at the very center. If we assume no friction due to atmosphere, passing the centre you will reduce your speed because the downward acceleration will begin growing again, until you emerge on the other side of Earth with maximum downward acceleration (g) and minimum speed (zero).

(Of course assuming Earth not-rotating, it will be a bit more complicated if we consider the rotation of Earth)
There's a good video about it:
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #32246
volodaaaa

My next journey starting in few days (map).

You can call it tour de almost ex-Yugoslavia Despite immigrants, diplomatic troubles between Serbia - BiH, Unrest in Macedonia and ongoing Greek crisis I can't wait.

cinxxx, Alex_ZR, winnipeg liked this post
Old July 12th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #32247
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^have fun

venus and jupiter from Trieste (no edit)

048 by hofburgh4, on Flickr
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #32248
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Just drove a Renault Scenic, it's the first time I've driven anything bigger than my Clio, it was very strange.

Suburbanist liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #32249
MichiH

I drove a small Dacia for 10 days. Back in Germany I drove a small Seat. Both cars were brand-new rental cars but there was a huge difference!

Driving 130km/h with the Dacia on the motorway was a bad feeling. The engine was damn loud! It was hard to start moving the car. I usually had to drive slam on throttle. But the car lost so much speed at every little inclination.

The first use of the throttle in the Seat ended with a little shock for me. What a reaction of the engine! Driving >200km/h with the Seat on the motorway was just relaxing and felt quite safe...

In addition, I think I drove a Peugeot for the first time on my way to the airport when starting the trip. It's much better than the damn Renault rental cars I drove years ago. The only worse rental cars where the Dacia and an US Ford Focus in 2007.....

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #32250
volodaaaa

Dacias are generally loud. I've been thinking of buying me a Duster and the loudness was one of the most serious weaknesses in reviews.

winnipeg liked this post
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #32251
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I drove a small Dacia for 10 days. Back in Germany I drove a small Seat. Both cars were brand-new rental cars but there was a huge difference!

Driving 130km/h with the Dacia on the motorway was a bad feeling. The engine was damn loud! It was hard to start moving the car. I usually had to drive slam on throttle. But the car lost so much speed at every little inclination.

The first use of the throttle in the Seat ended with a little shock for me. What a reaction of the engine! Driving >200km/h with the Seat on the motorway was just relaxing and felt quite safe...

In addition, I think I drove a Peugeot for the first time on my way to the airport when starting the trip. It's much better than the damn Renault rental cars I drove years ago. The only worse rental cars where the Dacia and an US Ford Focus in 2007.....
With a Logan you have basicly what Renault has made maybe 15 years ago, poor car in term of materials and building construction, it goes well with his price and his segment (lowcost). Seat is way better, as now it's Volkswagen behind it, it's basicly just cheaper VW cars with a bit of lowcost, but not so much, especially on higher models! (You can ask to Cinxxx what he's thinking of his nice Ibiza! ).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #32252
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Hey man, Leon not Ibiza
Logan is very loud, I know because I have driven them a while, horrible on motorway.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #32253
winnipeg

Wow sorry, my bad! I still have in my mind the beautifull photos of your car you posted, and I knew it was a Leon, not a Ibiza (smaller) but it's not what I writed...

cinxxx liked this post
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #32254
MichiH

Cars I've driven during the past two weeks:

- Peugeot 2008 Diesel
- Dacia Logan Petrol
- Seat Leon 1.6 Petrol

- Ford Focus 2.0 Diesel

winnipeg liked this post
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #32255
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Dacia may be loud, etc., but even so can be a good choose for people like e.g. my mother. She drives 4-5,000 km a year, the majority of them inside the town she lives in (a town of 14,000 inhabitants). She's 62 years old and does not have a lot of money.

cinxxx, Suburbanist, winnipeg, bogdymol liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #32256
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

It can be a great cheap city car.
Of course you can drive it outside too, it's really just a car, nothing else.

But it's no where near for example Renault Clio...
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #32257
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Once I traveled to Italy (by air) and rented a category C car Diesel (think Peugeot 308). The rental office at Fiumicino airport was out of cars, they offered me instead an Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Quite nice car, I shall say. Very comfortable seats.

In other occasion they were also out of C cat. cars and gave me a Ford C-Max diesel instead. It has a nice driving position and, as others minivans, is spacious (for 4 passengers, not using the extra seat). Felt a bit under powered for climbing the Etna roads, though I think the 2.0 version would do the job nicely.

Reason for such upgrades is that some categories are almost always sold out and they will upgrade you if your flight arrives early enough before they had time to take returned cars and clean them up.

I just wished there were less "gotchas" around the whole rental car business though. I'm a bit paranoid so I take pics and videos of the car before and after, since deductibles are quite high in Italy (€ 2000 for instance).
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #32258
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Dacia may be loud, etc., but even so can be a good choose for people like e.g. my mother. She drives 4-5,000 km a year, the majority of them inside the town she lives in (a town of 14,000 inhabitants). She's 62 years old and does not have a lot of money.
Yes, true. For example my grand-parents are driving a Logan (since 2008), for them it's a great little car even if there is some issues with it...

But they are not too demanding because before the Logan, they were still driving a good old Renault 19 from 1992 who was a great car...
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #32259
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Have to buy a smartphone, I have never had one
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Still everybody owns a smartphone
You have bought one meanwhile?

Old July 13th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #32260
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I will buy one in the upcoming weeks, enough is enough
I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, but it costs a lot

Tags
highways, motorways