daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #32261
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I will buy one in the upcoming weeks, enough is enough
I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, but it costs a lot
I personaly believe that this is a great phone only if you buy it only for showing it to other peoples...

It is expensive, the edge feature is beautifull to see but useless in everyday use, you can't change the battery by yourself, there is no SD slot, etc...

Personaly for a first smartphone, I would rather go for a middle-priced one who has all the great features of the high-priced ones but with great options like SD slot or even dualsim !

And also despite the fact that I have a S5, I hate how Samsung transformed Android, this is why I flashed a rom without all those bad stuffs from Samsung...

This why now I would rather buy for example a Motorola, they use an almost not modified version of Android who is nice to use (I also have a Moto G 4G as secondary phone now (a low range smartphone but very great, cost around 130-150€)).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #32262
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
It can be a great cheap city car.
Of course you can drive it outside too, it's really just a car, nothing else.

But it's no where near for example Renault Clio...
I drove about 170 000 km with my Suzuki Ignis Most of the distance were motorways. The car was extremely loud at 140 kph (157 kph was maximum). And I am alive Dacia is luxurious limousine ahead of it.

(Btw. it was great car - my first - and I miss it sometimes)

Last edited by volodaaaa; July 13th, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #32263
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

I drive a 2011 Hyundai i10. A city car by most measures (though registered as an MPV) but it works well for long distance trips as well. Last month I drove nearly 6,600 kilometers with it in 2 weeks. The seats are much better than all my previous cars. Of course it can drive 130-140 km/h with no problem, but it wasn't built for Autobahn racing. I once topped it out at 185 km/h, but it doesn't feel comfortable with such speeds. The tires are too small to handle such speeds. But I don't really care about that. Driving is traveling for me, not racing as fast as possible from A to B. Reisen statt rasen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

volodaaaa, Alex_ZR liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #32264
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

I would never buy a phone which has the sizes of 142 × 70 mm. It does not fit into my pocket :-) And actually I think S6 Edge is beautiful but is heavily overpriced.
Now I have an S5 Mini (131 × 65 mm), it's OK. Quad core 1.4Ghz, 1.5GB RAM. A little bit more RAM would be better but it's acceptable.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #32265
winnipeg

I personaly drive an old Citroen C3 HDI from 2003 with 220.000km and this is also pretty lound on the highway (especially at 170km/h on the autobahn ), but what I want the most now is air conditioning, this is really really too hard to drive with this heat on this kind of car...

Hopefuly I will soon change for a newer Peugeot 207 with AC !

Suburbanist liked this post
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #32266
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I would never buy a phone which has the sizes of 142 × 70 mm. It does not fit into my pocket :-) And actually I think S6 Edge is beautiful but is heavily overpriced.
Now I have an S5 Mini (131 × 65 mm), it's OK. Quad core 1.4Ghz, 1.5GB RAM. A little bit more RAM would be better but it's acceptable.
i was claiming that too. till one month ago i bought 5,5"-er. i wouldn't change i for anything now.

winnipeg liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #32267
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

My first though is/was also it has to fit in my pants side pocket.
My current Nokia C2-01 fits that criteria but it's also shit

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #32268
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
but what I want the most now is air conditioning, this is really really too hard to drive with this heat on this kind of car...
Hopefuly I will soon change for a newer Peugeot 207 with AC !
I can really recommend the Dacia Logan! My rental car had no power, no clock, no mileage display but the AC worked like hell! I was so damn ill last weekend. Sore throat, headache and sniffles........

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #32269
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I can really recommend the Dacia Logan! My rental car had no power, no clock, no mileage display but the AC worked like hell! I was so damn ill last weekend. Sore throat, headache and sniffles........
I see! What a strange situation !

I hope you feel better now!
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #32270
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i was claiming that too. till one month ago i bought 5,5"-er. i wouldn't change i for anything now.
The same for me, when I got my first smartphone (HTC Desire), I would'nt accept a big phone such my actual S5... but now I'm considering moving to a 5,5"...

In a way, this is how phone companies are telling us what we need to buy...
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #32271
MichiH

I hope you understand why I complaint about that car . Well, it was my fault. I switched AC off too late.... I still have sniffles but the rest is ok now. I was so tired on Friday evening and the whole Saturday... Too lazy to do anything....

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #32272
bogdymol
bogdymod

I now drive a 2012 Ford Focus (1.6 diesel, 115 hp). I have it since December and I find it really good for what I need:

At the company I work for, since July last year, I traveled 11 times to UK and Ireland, each time by plan, and each time I rented a car (with the wheel on the wrong side, of course). My company always books class C cars (Ford Focus or similar). Until now I got:
  • Seat Leon (like cinxxx) - I found the trunk to be rather small
  • Ford Focus (one time like mine, one time the new model) - 2/11 rentals were actually what was booked!
  • Ford C-Max - 2 times; rather boring; quite bad if you have to make tour of England (1000 km) and it doesn't have auto-pilot
  • VW Golf 7 - nice car with nice finishes
  • Nissan Qashqai - really nice one, and I managed to get a 4,7 l/100 km average fuel consumption
  • Nissan Note - with automatic gearbox
  • BMW 3-series - quite boring as it was 316d, small engine, no power, basic model (no extras)
  • Kia Ceed - nothing special
  • MG 6 - really weird British car
This week I might go once more there.

I also had a 2007 Dacia Logan (1.5 diesel, 65 hp) as work car for about 1 year. It was good to drive it on the construction site all day long as it's quite a high car. I also drove to Bucharest once with it (600 km, almost no motorway).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #32273
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
My company always books class C cars (Ford Focus or similar).
I book that too but I'm a gold member so I usually get an upgrade if a better car is available. The rental company had no station at Sibiu airport two years ago so I booked a car at a different company. But I've seen that "my" rental company has a station there meanwhile and next time I'll book there and hope for an upgrade .

Quote:
Ford C-Max - 2 times; rather boring; quite bad if you have to make tour of England (1000 km) and it doesn't have auto-pilot
Hm, I had this model many times. Good car. I usually don't use cruise control.

Quote:
BMW 3-series - quite boring as it was 316d, small engine, no power, basic model (no extras)
I had many 116d in 2008. Small but damn fast . 1xx petrol engine was damn slow.

Quote:
Kia Ceeed - nothing special
I also drove this car about 5-7 years ago. I expected a damn small and slow car but it was great. Nothing special but much better than many other luxury cars, e.g. Renault Megane, Mercedes A class, Ford Fiesta,...

Old July 13th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #32274
winnipeg

Quote:
I hope you understand why I complaint about that car . Well, it was my fault. I switched AC off too late.... I still have sniffles but the rest is ok now. I was so tired on Friday evening and the whole Saturday... Too lazy to do anything....
Oh okay, I missunderstood!

Yes it happens with AC!

It's great if you are better now!
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #32275
winnipeg

Quote:
I now drive a 2012 Ford Focus (1.6 diesel, 115 hp). I have it since December and I find it really good for what I need:

Very nice car!

I love the design of the Focus, they have done a great work with it!
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #32276
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
I book that too but I'm a gold member so I usually get an upgrade if a better car is available.
I am also a Gold member, but I only get priority at car pick-up. I only need 2 more rentals to go on the next level and then I will automatically get a free car upgrade.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #32277
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
The same for me, when I got my first smartphone (HTC Desire), I would'nt accept a big phone such my actual S5... but now I'm considering moving to a 5,5"...

In a way, this is how phone companies are telling us what we need to buy...
I had a little bit bigger phone for a month. It was so unpleasant to have it in the pocket that was very happy when I realized that its GPS did not work and bought my current S5 Mini instead :-)
So, no, I don't want to have a bigger phone :-)

winnipeg liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #32278
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I drive a 2011 Hyundai i10. A city car by most measures (though registered as an MPV) but it works well for long distance trips as well.
The i10 is a good car, I like it, too. It would be too small for me, but if you have to travel a lot within cities, it's a very nice car. A friend of mine got one, but with the automatic gearbox, which is not recommendable.

I'm not sure if the new one also has this automatic transmission, but if so, one should better buy the manual one. (There's also a LPG version [comes with the smaller engine], but sadly no CNG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But I don't really care about that. Driving is traveling for me, not racing as fast as possible from A to B. Reisen statt rasen.
When driving rental cars, I don't care much, too. Often it's because they don't have such good engines. (The company does max. pay for Class E) Also I won't receive any extra money, if I'm much earlier at the customer's location. So why should I stress myself?

On the other hand: If I drive with my own car, I like to do some speed. It's also just because the engine does good at high speeds and since it's an aspirated inline six engine, it consumes nearly the same fuel in the range of 160 to 200km/h.
(And there's nothing more fun than driving downhill the unrestricted parts of the Kassler Berge with 250km/h. Of course only if traffic allows)

Quote:
VW Golf 7 - nice car with nice finishes
The Golf is okay. The 1.2l engine with 86 HP is way too slow, you always have to shift like a maniac if you go uphill. Never expierenced the other engines.
The last time I shifted like a maniac as much as with the Golf was when I drove an old VW T4 1.9D (yep aspirated!). This car was worse than every single Iveco truck I drove lol.

Quote:
BMW 3-series - quite boring as it was 316d, small engine, no power, basic model (no extras)
Yeah the basic model isn't really a special car. Also anything smaller than the 320d engine has way too less power for such a heavy car (imho). The 2.0l 184PS N47-Engine on the otherhand is a very good engine and in my opinion the state of the art for staff/company cars. (Although I'm a fan of I6 engines)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #32279
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yesterday 4 people from Arad (Romania) died in a traffic accident on Slovenian A1 Ljubljana-Koper. R.I.P.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #32280
winnipeg

Today I drove a Clio 4 (business edition, very simple). I like it, the design is nice, but inside if some parts are good, some are not so good like for example the plastic used inside the car seems very cheap, and also I noticed a funny thing : they used the same gear shift than in the Logan (very simple but it's okay...). They have done a great work with soundproofing on it, at 130km/h, the sound was low...

Tags
highways, motorways