daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #32461
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
What do you guys think about Windows 10? I have read that the system violates common user's privacy. What is worse, user usually agree with that by submitting the EULA.
I have them already installed. Currently nothing exceptionally (upgrade went very smooth) but I also don't see any problems. About user privacies etc. I don't give a damn about it. And in the process of installing you need to agree to EULA.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #32462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Windows 10 is basically a blatant violation of privacy and user data protection. Especially for the personal assistant Cortana the amount of personal data analyzed is creepy. Everything is sent to Microsoft to be 'analyzed'.

However, you can switch off most of these features. I have them all disabled.

There is no such thing as a 'free' upgrade. You pay for it with personal data, much like it pays for Facebook or Youtube.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #32463
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Windows 10 is basically a blatant violation of privacy and user data protection. Especially for the personal assistant Cortana the amount of personal data analyzed is creepy. Everything is sent to Microsoft to be 'analyzed'.

However, you can switch off most of these features. I have them all disabled.

There is no such thing as a 'free' upgrade. You pay for it with personal data, much like it pays for Facebook or Youtube.
I agree, but according to IT bloggers I've read, the PC keeps sending your data despite turning Cortana off.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #32464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's correct, some options cannot be disabled or will be turned back on by default.

Microsoft also creates a worldwide P2P network for Windows Update. Instead of downloading an update from Microsoft serves, it can download from other users, and other users can download from your PC. You can turn this feature off.

However, you cannot turn Windows Update off, it will install all updates, even if you don't want them. So theoretically they can install updates that change some of your settings. So it is possible that some features which you can turn off now, will be updated without an option to turn them off in the future. For example Cortana or Windows Update P2P.
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #32465
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
However, you cannot turn Windows Update off, it will install all updates, even if you don't want them.
I think it's possible to disable it. Just don't connect to any network......

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #32466
bogdymol
bogdymod

Thing is that all this programs (Windows, Google, Youtube etc.) are optional. If you don't like their terms and conditions, nobody forces you to use them.

(I know that you don't have many alternatives and that they also know that. You have to use them. Thing is to limit the information you give.).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #32467
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Or block Windows Update servers?
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #32468
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Greetings from the scorching Mojave Desert, early morning walk and sightseeing is done, now we're back to drink some water, buy more water (plenty of it) and take the road to visit the Mojave Preserve and end our day in Twenty Nine Palms. The desert here is beautiful though, after couple days you get used to the different tones and watching sunrise is always interesting (which we've done most of our days here).

Fuel is still inexpensive by my usual Netherlands standards, but I surely lament the higher prices here than in Utah and Colorado.
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #32469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Thing is that all this programs (Windows, Google, Youtube etc.) are optional. If you don't like their terms and conditions, nobody forces you to use them.

(I know that you don't have many alternatives and that they also know that. You have to use them. Thing is to limit the information you give.).
That's true, but at one time or the other they tend to take over competitors. Major websites or applications like Youtube, Google Earth or Flickr were originally stand-alone companies that were taken over by Google and Yahoo.

The monopolies tech and software companies have is absurd. The media would go mad if such monopolies existed in the banking or the energy sector, yet it's somehow accepted with the tech oligarchy.
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #32470
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Quote:
The monopolies tech and software companies have is absurd. The media would go mad if such monopolies existed in the banking or the energy sector, yet it's somehow accepted with the tech oligarchy.
A very quick comment: what make some monopolies or dominant positions bad are not only their market share but also entry barriers and systemic risks.

Opening a new video hosting service is not costly at all, there are dozens of wannabe alternatives there and some well established (Vimeo, vidme and many others). Creating a new searching engine is more tricky, but it can be done, it some have tried, the setup costs are rather low for anything online. You can rent and quickly scale up serves and bandwidth as needed.

Before Facebook became dominant several other social networks existed, such as MySpace, Friendster, Hi5, Hyves...

OS and Internet browsers are more difficult.

Now energy sector is an entirely different manner, you need several billion $/€ before you can even think of being a minor firm very exposed to risks on your assets. It takes years or maybe a decade before new plants, let alone mining/extraction operations, are approved. The electrical grid is infinitely more regulated than the Internet traffic infrastructure.

Old August 14th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #32471
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Google, Youtube, Facebook are de facto monopolies, since their success depends by the huge number of people using them. Few people would use a social network where none of his friends is into, a search engine that gives poor results compared to Google, an automatic translation system that has a poor vocabulary, a video hosting system that has few video, etc... So, bigger IT companies gets the largest share of users, although it may change in the future if another big brand will emerge. For example Facebook virtually killed the, once very widespread, MySpace, MSN Messenger, Netlog and others. More and more people are using OS software like OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead of costly MS products. Encyclopedia Encarta was made obsolete by Wikipedia.
IT products are very volatile and subjected to technological and cultural changes. Most consumer goods (food, clothes, non-electronic tools,...) we purchase every day don't differ much than those we purchased 10 or 20 years ago, while today's internet and mobile phone world and the 2005 one are like day and night. Even 10 y.o. cars are almost like new cars, if compared with consumer electronics and software.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #32472
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Google, Youtube, Facebook are de facto monopolies,
Youtube is Google. so it's even more - we practically have some king od oligopol where only several complanies rule the Internet.
Old August 14th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #32473
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

After reading that about Windows 10, I guess it's better to remain in what one has got up to now. I only want to remove the admin requirements on a computer that has Windows 8.1...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #32474
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Holy crap, how lucky can a person be?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #32475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Whoops.

In Saudi Arabia

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

pai nosso, winnipeg, bogdymol, Verso liked this post
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #32476
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

I wrote here that I was looking to buy a smartphone.
So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 (with 64GB memory) around a month ago.

How could I have lived so many years without one?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #32477
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Edge or regular one ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #32478
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Regular one. Didn't want to pay extra 100€ only for a curved screen.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #32479
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I wrote here that I was looking to buy a smartphone.
So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 (with 64GB memory) around a month ago.

How could I have lived so many years without one?
Now I think that you are better understanding my reaction when you said that you never got one...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #32480
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Whoops.

In Saudi Arabia
The guy in white pick-up is incredibly stupid or, at least blind.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways