daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #32521
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Fame at Last

Yeah. Sponge Bob gets a massive statue in Istanbul. More of this please!

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/his...&NewsCatID=341

"Historic castle in Istanbul turns into ‘SpongeBob’ after restoration"

volodaaaa liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #32522
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

And worst, now it doesn't look like it's an historic castle...

I don't realy understand why they didn't let it like how it was....
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #32523
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

it doesn't matter, Isil will explode it soon
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #32524
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
@x-type will only drive by train from now on.
maybe you're right. i took the train on that route some 2 years ago. it's always exhausting because of uncomfortable trains.
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #32525
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
maybe you're right. i took the train on that route some 2 years ago. it's always exhausting because of uncomfortable trains.
Train comfort is always important. If the train is not overcrowded and the ride is smooth - it is pleasure to travel. It feels like you are flying.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #32526
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Train comfort is always important. If the train is not overcrowded and the ride is smooth - it is pleasure to travel. It feels like you are flying.
i agree, but here in my city we have only local railroad, and short distance trains. however, ride to Zagreb lasts more than 1,5 h and it is not pleasure anymore.
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #32527
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i agree, but here in my city we have only local railroad, and short distance trains. however, ride to Zagreb lasts more than 1,5 h and it is not pleasure anymore.
How much does it take to Zagreb by car? Does a lot of people work in Zagreb from Bjelovar? It seems to be in its catchment araa.

We have similar situation in Slovakia in connection between Bratislava and Nitra (sixth city by population). It is connected by motorway, but the main railway tracks goes outside the city. You can make it in 60 minutes by car, but it is horrible by train. Besides it is not connected directly, it is served by old local trains (see picture). The seats are uncomfortable, the train is noisy, it stops at every stop, the track is in bad condition. I've tried it several times and it took 2 hours.

Last edited by volodaaaa; August 28th, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #32528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I haven't traveled by train or bus for years, but I cycle to work every day as it is less than 3 km away with no traffic lights.

Dutch trains are fast and with high frequency even on minor lines, but the overall travel time is just uncompetitive compared to driving. Overall travel times go up dramatically if your destination or origin isn't near a train station. About 90% of the trips in the Netherlands are on a route with a large difference in travel time between a car and public transport. In fact in many cities cycling is faster and more convenient than using the bus or tram system. Dutch cities are generally quite compact so distances within cities tend to be short and cycleable (is that a word?)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #32529
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
How much does it take to Zagreb by car? Does a lot of people work in Zagreb from Bjelovar? It seems to be in its catchment araa.

We have similar situation in Slovakia in connection between Bratislava and Nitra (sixth city by population). It is connected by motorway, but the main railway tracks goes outside the city. You can make it in 60 minutes by car, but it is horrible by train. Besides it is not connected directly, it is served by old local trains (see picture). The seats are uncomfortable, the train is noisy, it stops at every stop, the track is in bad condition. I've tried it several times and it took 2 hours.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2735/4...75929fde2f.jpg
by car 1h to the eastern suburb. 8 trains per day to Zagreb, fastest take 1h26, slowest 1h49. actually, it is not that bad considering the time, but it is uncomfortable and annoying as hell. the rolling stock is similar shit as that one in Nitra:

there are quite some people working in Zagreb, that's probably the main reason why new railroad is going to be built. (the fastest trains are those that arrive to Zagreb early in the morning, and leave afternoon, so called "work trains".)

however, the rolling stock for local and regional trains is being modernized, so i really hope that we will get this new train when new railroad will be finished, because that crap taht we have now isn't worth of new railroad.

Old August 29th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #32530
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I haven't traveled by train or bus for years, but I cycle to work every day as it is less than 3 km away with no traffic lights.

Dutch trains are fast and with high frequency even on minor lines, but the overall travel time is just uncompetitive compared to driving.
Travel time is not everything. It takes me 40 min-1h by train /bus to get to work, and only 30 min by car, but I still prefer local public transport. It's cheaper, less dangerous and I can relax and read a book instead of yelling constantly at other drivers.
Cycling in this case is hardly an option: it's too far (9 km), too dangerous (no cycle path) and I don't won't to arrive at work all sweaty.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #32531
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Travel time is not everything. It takes me 40 min-1h by train /bus to get to work, and only 30 min by car, but I still prefer local public transport. It's cheaper, less dangerous and I can relax and read a book instead of yelling constantly at other drivers.
Cycling in this case is hardly an option: it's too far (9 km), too dangerous (no cycle path) and I don't won't to arrive at work all sweaty.
Also, if you compare not only travel time, but include time taken by looking for free parking places, individual transport is more comparable to public one.

According to timetable it took me 11 minutes of travel by trolleybus. It is approximately half by car. Once I tried to go to work by car. Did six rounds around the neighbourhood of my office looking for a free parking place and then decided to park on the nearest free-of-charge parking lot. Realized it was the parking lot beside my house It took me circa 35 minutes and I had to take the whole trolleybus route (+11 minutes) anyway.

Old August 29th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #32532
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Also, if you compare not only travel time, but include time taken by looking for free parking places, individual transport is more comparable to public one.

According to timetable it took me 11 minutes of travel by trolleybus. It is approximately half by car. Once I tried to go to work by car. Did six rounds around the neighbourhood of my office looking for a free parking place and then decided to park on the nearest free-of-charge parking lot. Realized it was the parking lot beside my house It took me circa 35 minutes and I had to take the whole trolleybus route (+11 minutes) anyway.

Any way, a typical, and very usual city problem. However, a vast majority of all travels nation-wide have nothing to do with city centers. And Chris is from a country where a large part of working places are located in the outskirts of cities, unlike in Bratislava, and many European cities where they are located in city centers.
And that's why the modal share of public transport on a national level is in every European nations under 20%, in most of them under 10%.
Public transport in the countryside has no chances. Children, elderly people (unable to drive a car) and some very poor people will take it, but no one else. And although we talk about heavy urbanization in Europe (and nowadays suburbanization which is even worse) the majority of population travel only occasionally to city centers.
The modal share of public transport is quite high in big cities, in Paris, London, Frankfurt/M or even Madrid public transport has a higher modal share than car. But it's only a minor part of Europe.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #32533
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Italian drivers

MichiH, bogdymol liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #32534
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I thought exactly the same

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #32535
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

This afternoon I've driven (barely) into France. Now I can say I've driven outside Spain .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #32536
bogdymol
bogdymod

thread premiere
/on-topic

First picture of a motorway roadside rest area taken from the heights of a mountain:

More pictures you can find on the Austrian roads thread.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

ChrisZwolle, Peines, piotr71, riiga liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #32537
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
I would guess that in most cases the decision making case is more complex than optimizing the travel time only.

This is my daily framework to optimize:

- Two adults, one car
- Distances to work 10 and 18 kilometers
- No end-to-end public transport connections
- Poor bus-to-train connections at the key hub
- Time of first and last meeting of the day
- Any out-of-office meetings during the day?
- No grocery shop close to home
- Evening activities
- Leaving for or returning from countryside home
- etc

Earlier, the framework was more complex due to moving kids between home, day care, school and their activities. Nowadays they are self-moving.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #32538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Who uses the Skyscrapercity app? I can't load the Highways & Autobahns forum via the app. It keeps loading until a server error pops up. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it, but it doesn't help. I can open other sub forums without any problems.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #32539
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I have the exact same issue. All the other sub-forums work just fine but Highways & Autobahns always fails to load.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #32540
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

I uninstalled the app long ago for this reason. I use the Web-based version also from mobile
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways