daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2015, 11:21 PM   #32641
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
That is true, but on the other hand, mandatory headlights is good to distinguish whether the car is moving or not. Something like in railways, when rolling stock acting like train has three headlights, locomotive doing shunting two headlights and occupied locomotive standing on track one headlight.
Good example!

Cars with switched headlamps on can be better seen for any driver, when heading towards low sun in early morning and late afternoon. It is also much easier to spot a vehicle with lights on in the mirrors among fast moving cars (without lights on) on motorway. In particular, it makes live easier for the drivers of large trucks and coaches. So, mind that you, a driver of a car, are far better seen in their side mirrors, when using day/head lights even in perfect weather conditions.

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #32642
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A common argument against headlights 24/7 in the summer is that motorcyclists and cyclists are less visible between all the lights.
But that is not true. The motorcyclists use headlights, too, and cyclists are less visible anyway.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #32643
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i use them through the whole year and i think that obligation would be really good (here we had it for maybe 2 years, and now we have them mandatory only in winter period (this year between 25.10. and 27.03.). however, i like using Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, and using the day lights means changing the bulbs twice a year. and they are not cheap at all.
I am more concerned about the effort to change the bulb than about the price of bulb.

For years ago, I had a Citroën C5. Changing the front left bulb implied dismantling and reinstalling many parts, including the accumulator. It is not a task for ordinary people. Fortunately, it was a company car and changing the bulbs at garage was included.

(Man is an odd creature. Man can send a person to Moon and get him back, but making an easily changeable car light bulb seems to be a mission impossible.)

My experience about H7 bulbs says that they might last driving up to 20000 km in my driving style. Driving a lot on gravel roads or on other uneven roads shortens the life because of vibration.

The daytime LEDs help a lot. I have now driven my current car for about 35000 km without changing bulbs.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #32644
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I am more concerned about the effort to change the bulb than about the price of bulb.

For years ago, I had a Citroën C5. Changing the front left bulb implied dismantling and reinstalling many parts, including the accumulator. It is not a task for ordinary people. Fortunately, it was a company car and changing the bulbs at garage was included.

(Man is an odd creature. Man can send a person to Moon and get him back, but making an easily changeable car light bulb seems to be a mission impossible.)

My experience about H7 bulbs says that they might last driving up to 20000 km in my driving style. Driving a lot on gravel roads or on other uneven roads shortens the life because of vibration.

The daytime LEDs help a lot. I have now driven my current car for about 35000 km without changing bulbs.
That is true. To change the light bulbs in rear ligths in my Ignis I had to remove the upholstery.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #32645
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Adults Need 7 or More Hours of Sleep Every Night

Quote:
[...]

The panel found that sleeping less than seven hours per night is associated with increased rates of adverse health outcomes, including weight gain, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, depression, and an increased risk of early death. Averaging less than seven hours of sleep per night also may impair immune function, increase pain, hinder daytime concentration and performance, and boost errors and accidents.

Although the panel did not recommend an upper limit for nightly sleep, the experts did note that young adults, people recovering from a sleep debt, and people who are ill may need more than nine hours of sleep per night.

[...]
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #32646
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
But that is not true. The motorcyclists use headlights, too, and cyclists are less visible anyway.
Yes, that is actually the argument. Motorcyclists get attention because they use headlights. This means they stand out more. If everyone has headlights on, this advantage disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Getting 7 hours of sleep a night shouldn't be too hard, for example between 11 pm and 6 am. I have colleagues who complain being tired while having coffee at 9 pm and going to bed at midnight. No surprise...

9 hours is more difficult to achieve if you have to be up early for work. Getting up at 6 or 7 am means going to bed (and sleep quickly) at 9 or 10 pm. I usually go to bed at 10 - 10.30 pm and get up at 6 - 6.30 a.m.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #32647
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

not really so simple.
(and the article says at least 7 hours, they actually recommend more)

Not everybody can go to sleep so early, I for one can't.
If I go, I will only move from one side to the other for a long time and even if I fall asleep earlier then normal, I would sleep bad and wake up tired, even if I wake up at the same hour as I would when going to sleep late.

I have this problem from gymnasium, it was a nightmare to get up and arrive at 7:30 to school. Many times got late and first 2 hours were almost useless for me.
It only got worse in high school, I fell asleep during courses from 8am, so I ended up skipping them.

But where I work now, people understand that I am a night owl, I get to work always after 9, stay later then almost anyone else. And that's ok.

Last edited by cinxxx; September 24th, 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #32648
ChrisZwolle
Road user

From what I've read, staying up late behind a monitor and especially cell phone and tablet screens makes it more difficult to get to sleep. Another factor is coffee. I usually have one cup of coffee in the evening, around 7.30 pm. I notice that when I get a coffee around or after 8 I can't sleep as quickly.

When I was in school I found classes at 8.30 extremely early. But teenagers need more sleep than adults. Ever since I started working I usually start at 7.30 am. But it helps that I do not have to travel very far (max 10 minute bike ride).
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #32649
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Cars with switched headlamps on can be better seen for any driver, when heading towards low sun in early morning and late afternoon. It is also much easier to spot a vehicle with lights on in the mirrors among fast moving cars (without lights on) on motorway. In particular, it makes live easier for the drivers of large trucks and coaches. So, mind that you, a driver of a car, are far better seen in their side mirrors, when using day/head lights even in perfect weather conditions.
Exactly! That's why I ALWAYS have headlamps on! Traveling to work, I use a road with slight curves and trees or even some forest next to the road. Driving behind a truck it's often hard to recognize if the car I see "in front" of the truck is driving in the same direction (so that I could easily pass the truck) or is opposing traffic (so that I cannot pass the truck). That's why many drivers don't try to pass trucks at all there and that's why other drivers risk passing queues..... AADT is about 8,000..10,000 vehicles/day, simple 2-laned road, ~20km.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #32650
MichiH

Quote:
But where I work now, people understand that I am a night owl, I get to work always after 9, stay later then almost anyone else. And that's ok.
I can officially arrive in office from 6 to 9AM but no one would care if I would occasionally arrive later... I know a guy of my company who's officially allowed to start at 11..12AM and staying longer in the evening (longer than the official 8PM deadline because afterwards you usually get night shift premium; "Nachtzuschlag"). I'm an "early bird" though .

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #32651
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Yes, that is actually the argument. Motorcyclists get attention because they use headlights. This means they stand out more. If everyone has headlights on, this advantage disappears.

Getting 7 hours of sleep a night shouldn't be too hard, for example between 11 pm and 6 am. I have colleagues who complain being tired while having coffee at 9 pm and going to bed at midnight. No surprise...
This happens because, oddly enough, the human circadian rhythm is actually longer than the day. So you may sleep your good 7 hours, wake up at 6 am and still not be sleepy at 11 pm.
There was a series of experiments on circadian rhythm, about 20 years ago, culminating in a man voluntarily locking himself inside a cave for more than a year, without clocks, which proved that human circadian rhythm is 36 hours, rather than 24.

Article in Italian
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #32652
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
From what I've read, staying up late behind a monitor and especially cell phone and tablet screens makes it more difficult to get to sleep. Another factor is coffee. I usually have one cup of coffee in the evening, around 7.30 pm. I notice that when I get a coffee around or after 8 I can't sleep as quickly.

When I was in school I found classes at 8.30 extremely early. But teenagers need more sleep than adults. Ever since I started working I usually start at 7.30 am. But it helps that I do not have to travel very far (max 10 minute bike ride).
I don't drink any coffee

But I heard it from many colleagues that it's very hard to reaccommodate to their working schedule after weekend or vacation, when they can "ausschlafen", and they couldn't without coffee. Why shouldn't a person "ausschlafen" everyday and why do it in the weekend if you don't need it?
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #32653
MichiH

Quote:
I don't drink any coffee
Me neither

Quote:
they couldn't without coffee.
Because they are addicted to caffeine.

I'm used to drink Coke every day for 20 years now. Once, I didn't drink it for 2-3 days and I really felt bad.

Quote:
Why shouldn't a person "ausschlafen" everyday and why do it in the weekend if you don't need it?
I think it's just a different rhythm at the weekend compared to on weekdays. Late jet leg...

Old September 24th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #32654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drink coffee almost every day, though I can live without it, for example I never have a coffee on vacation, even when I get up early for a trip. I don't need coffee to wake up. I don't make coffee at home before going to work. I usually have my first coffee around 8 a.m.

I like coffee, but I'm not an aficionado. I usually drink a medium black coffee with no milk and sugar, no espressos or cappucinos

I once lost 10 kg when I stopped drinking soft drinks every day. There's so much sugar in it.
Old September 24th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #32655
MichiH

Diet Coke doesn't contain sugar at all

Old September 24th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #32656
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:

oh, that. true. on my Punto changing the bulbs was a piece of cake. left one little bit harder, but accessible. 2 minutes per bulb.
Focus requires screwdriver, but after that everything is easy (although you actually must dismantle whole headlamp, but it is not complicated at all. 5 minutes per bulb.
on the other hand: my friends with Zafira and Megane experience huge problems. if they don't want to dismantle half of engine space, they have an option to change it using the hole somewhere under the fender at inner wheel area (to reach that hole you must turn the wheel completely right or left and then start to make surgery)
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #32657
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
A common argument against headlights 24/7 in the summer is that motorcyclists and cyclists are less visible between all the lights.

I usually drive with headlights off during the summer and on during the darker 6 months of the year.
This argument is strange because in my case, it hasn't changed anything about how I see the motorcyclists and how respectfull I am to them, it has just improved the visibility of cars. (This is so so helpful for example during summer in Romania when it's very hot and you don't see so much on the road because of the sun, etc...)

I will try to put DRL LED on my car (Peugeot 207) but it's hard because good models like Philips DRL are too big to fit easily on my car (I have to remove all the front bumper of the car and it will take me hours...) or to put some cheap chinese DRL LED but they seems to be very fragile and I can't say if they will last with time and rain, etc... ).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #32658
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:

And I would add that buying expensive bulbs from famous brands like Philips or Osram,... is useless. Since 2 years, now I'm using chinese H7 bulb (at a price <1€ when you buy them by 10 or 20...) and they are working fine, with an everyday use (everytime I start my car, I now have the reflex to put on the lights ), they last around 6 month and sometimes more (it mades a lot of hours of use since I use them everytime I take my car during day... ).

Last edited by winnipeg; September 25th, 2015 at 02:36 AM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #32659
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I moved to Corsica last Sunday for my year abroad, so I've given my first car to my Dad after owning it for just under three years, I never changed it's bulbs. I think that people in the UK are generally more reluctant to use headlights than in the rest of Northern Europe.

winnipeg liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #32660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Few people in France drive with headlights on during the day as well. Daytime running lights are becoming more common though.

Another fading fad in France is the use of the left turn signal during the entire overtaking procedure on the motorway. I see fewer and fewer people doing that. Instead, they only use turn signals when changing lanes, like most of Europe.

Tags
highways, motorways