daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #32701
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Edit - video taken down.

Last edited by Fatfield; October 6th, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM   #32702
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...poland-6521028
Student commutes 1,000 miles from POLAND to London because it SAVES him money

Jonathan Davey moved to Gdansk in Poland because it’s cheaper for him to live there and fly back for lectures in London.
I thought my new house, 60 km from work and 90 km from city centrum was bad
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #32703
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Now that the 'Timelapse road videos' has been closed, I realized I've managed to do an 'In before lock' thing more than a year ago . Normally I don't manage to do that, but I've done it a few times.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #32704
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Spot one difference

Hint:

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #32705
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've been there skiing 3 winters. The slope nearby that hotel is just too easy, even for beginners. I also ate once in the restaurant of that hotel (really nice hotel if I remember well).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #32706
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

It cought fire at 3:30 AM with 130 guests sleeping inside. One person died, 8 were injured. What a luck.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #32707
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Facebook bring in a Not=Like button but only in Ireland and Spain so far. I must get well fckin busy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-34491753

Quote:
A mother has been jailed for five years after her toddler son drowned in a garden pond while she chatted on Facebook.

Passing sentence, Judge Jeremy Richardson QC said Barnett's "lamentably appalling parenting led to fatal consequences".
He added: "If you should have any further children, they will almost certainly be removed from you.
"You pose very serious risks to any child for whom you have responsibility."
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #32708
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i dreamt of this thread tonight. i had about 20 unread pages, and on the first unread page bogdymol mentioned me with my surname, and Verso followed naming me with my name. and then on the following pages each while somebody would name me with my name or surname. i was not pissed off, but confused and quit reading after 4-5 pages.

cinxxx, Verso, Kanadzie liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #32709
CNGL
Leudimin

I was part of that dream? Don't worry, I wouldn't never refer you with your real name even if I knew it.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #32710
CNGL
Leudimin

In another forum I'm in someone created a pretty hilarious thread where plural rules are applied to every word. Some examples:
One house, two hice (due to mouse, mice).
One Toys-Я-Us, two Toys-Я-I (Now that is a paradox).
One 3dus, two 3di (So two 3 digit US routes become a 3 digit Interstate?).

And we even gone the way slavic languages, with things like those:
One taxi, two taxis, three taxes.
One explosion, two explosia, three explosiæ.

And we've done it the other way round. Like I did with one of my metro systems, compare this with this (Search for line 11), where I changed Alfamen (ugliest town ever) to Alfaman .
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #32711
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Good morning from Trápani
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #32712
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Be carreful with the all new french "roadwork radars"

https://www.facebook.com/terence31/v...6830740599102/

They are hidden, not indicated and with a very very high capacity (up to 7500 vehicules per hour), only in this short video, it has flashed around 50 vehicules...

It's hard to believe that this kind of hidden installation will have any effect on road safety, it is even worse because cars are braking in front of it (and for example on the video we can see a car almost been hit by the truck behind it...), it's such an excellent way to make easy and fast cash for the state...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #32713
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Not sure if this is real or if it has been posted before but police controlling the traffic with drones in russia:

winnipeg liked this post
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #32714
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Be carreful with the all new french "roadwork radars"

https://www.facebook.com/terence31/v...6830740599102/

They are hidden, not indicated and with a very very high capacity (up to 7500 vehicules per hour), only in this short video, it has flashed around 50 vehicules...

It's hard to believe that this kind of hidden installation will have any effect on road safety, it is even worse because cars are braking in front of it (and for example on the video we can see a car almost been hit by the truck behind it...), it's such an excellent way to make easy and fast cash for the state...
Indeed, if they really wanted to increase safety they would implement average speed control and put up huge signs to let the drivers know.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #32715
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

On the other hand, French workzone speed limits are not that low. For example this bridge renovation on A49 near Romans-sur-Isère has a speed limit of 90 km/h. In the Netherlands such a speed limit is only allowed on motorways if there is a solid barrier between driving directions. Not to mention all the 60 km/h Baustellen in Germany.

What's more annoying about France is that they immediately slap a € 45 minimum fine for 1 km/h over the speed limit on you.

A49-16 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sentilj liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #32716
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Well, hopefully they didn't flash me.
I survived Palermo, but I have to say it wasn't really bad, nothing really impressive besides my other experiences in Italy
Old October 12th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #32717
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Indeed, if they really wanted to increase safety they would implement average speed control and put up huge signs to let the drivers know.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
On the other hand, French workzone speed limits are not that low. For example this bridge renovation on A49 near Romans-sur-Isère has a speed limit of 90 km/h. In the Netherlands such a speed limit is only allowed on motorways if there is a solid barrier between driving directions. Not to mention all the 60 km/h Baustellen in Germany.

What's more annoying about France is that they immediately slap a € 45 minimum fine for 1 km/h over the speed limit on you.

A49-16 by European Roads, on Flickr
You've just picked the wrong example because 90km/h is the maximum speed for this kind of 2 ways roads in France, so this roadsign is at best "useless".

No, in most of the roadworks in France, the limitations are low and not really justified like for example in the video it has been limitated to 70km/h on a 3 ways motorway and without any work and workers on place (this is why almost no one respect this very low limitation for this type of road...).

And this is not the only one, by driving a lot in France this summer, this is something very usual...

But yes, Germany don't makes better, even if the low limitations on motorways works are more justified (most of the time the space for vehicules is small)... and yes I hate Germany for that, due to the lack of works on their motorways in the past, there is such roadworks everywhere and sometimes it is very very dangerous (I had a big fear one time, when the traffic goes from 130km/h to complete stop without any information or limitation before, this was due to a damn roadwork... )
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #32718
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i think that generally speed limits in working zones are too low. here in HR you will hardly find more than 60 too (sometimes it happens 80, but very rare). there are even 40 km/h zones if construction site is short (of course, nobody drive 40 there, it is just insane)

volodaaaa liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #32719
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

In the Netherlands, motorway work zones usually have a 90 km/h speed limit. 70 km/h is only used for short-term night works or when there are only cones separating traffic from workers. The A12 widening east of Arnhem had mostly a 100 km/h speed limit, despite the near-complete reconstruction of the motorway.

Generally speaking, the Dutch Rijkswaterstaat does a very good job eliminating impact of road works on traffic. Most regular maintenance (paving) works are done during the night or weekends, and long-term work zones are few in number and have little impact on traffic. Under 5% of traffic congestion in the Netherlands is caused by road works.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #32720
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Good evening from Malta!

Tags
highways, motorways