daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #32741
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post

Also a better translation for the french expression "je me coucherai moins bête ce soir" could be : "I'll go to bed a wiser man tonight"

(Je suis français aussi ! Au passage on ne voit pas beaucoup de français sur ce topic habituellement...)

(For those who are curious, I'm only telling him that I'm also french and that we are very few on this topic... )
We often say "I'll die wiser"

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #32742
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
And yes, I read a few weeks ago you come from eastern France.
But, it's curious to see a french in Romania. Your job certainly.
C'mon! I'm pretty sure that there are many french people here in Roumania. And probably more will come, as italians already did.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #32743
volodaaaa

One from Czech republic. The additional sign reads "Grass mowing"

winnipeg, x-type liked this post
Old October 16th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #32744
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
I'm not very good in english, that's why I don't write often on SSC.
You know french are bad in foreign languages.
All corrections are welcome due to my bad grammar.
English lessons at school are far back in the past. More than 22 years.
And translations by websites are not often right.
But because I am frequently on the road ,especially in F, E and P, rarely elsewhere, I like to come here.
And yes, I read a few weeks ago you come from eastern France.
But, it's curious to see a french in Romania. Your job certainly.
Keep up your good contribution here.
Same thing to others.
But don't worry, native english speakers are very few here, and your english seems good!

I'm not very good in english too, in fact I was talking a little bit, but before I came on SSC, I never really written in english since few years (since I finished high school, for me it's only 6 years ago, but I was very bad in english at school and I was asking myself in what it could be useful... ), I improved my english while traveling (surely the best way to learn english...), and also in Romania (I found it way easier to speak with a non-native speaking english person as they speak most of the time like me, slowly and with comprehensible words.... ).

Ok, nice!

I firstly came here asking about road conditions in the balkans, I was planning a roadtrip (I still haven't do this roadtrip, but I kept all the information and I will surely do it during the next year)... And in fact I really liked the cool ambiance here, and I became more and more fascinated by roads and infrastructures in general... even before that I came on SSC, I was for example following any news about the roads in Romania, and especially the building of the highways witch is quite interesting (and funny or sad, I don't know... for example they are currently rebuilding a part of a road that has been poorly build only 9 month after the opening of the motorway in question : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=8578 ), but I truly find SSC wonderful, all those informations on the same place and so much people interested/passionate about it

Yes, I'm currently studying in Romania, I already done 4 years (and I have only 2 more years to do from now... ). It's hard for me to be in Romania (but it's a more interesting country than what we believe in western Europe about it... ), but there is many good aspects, and (in relation to SSC), I have seen here so much change/improvements in only 4 years... this is fascinating, in comparison I wouldn't have seen such thing in France.

Thanks, the same about what you will post!!

Fane40 liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #32745
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Gas station, apartment block and logistic company all inside a cloverleaf interchange (Udine, Italy)

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #32746
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
There's a house in the UK located in the wide median of a motorway, with a private underpass to access it. I can't find the pic, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I think I saw a house between the motorway carriages somewhere between Manchester and Leeds.
Stott Hall Farm on the M62 between Bradford & Manchester. I've passed it loads of times whilst following my useless footy team around the country.

Local BBC report from 2014.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #32747
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
C'mon! I'm pretty sure that there are many french people here in Roumania. And probably more will come, as italians already did.
Yes, I know many students go in Romania. Particularly for medicine studies. Same thing in Belgium for french students also.
And since Romania is into the european community, many factories closed their doors in France and offer to their employees a job there.
With a romanian salary of course.
Only engineers or high payed employees choose to change their life.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #32748
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Stott Hall Farm on the M62 between Bradford & Manchester. I've passed it loads of times whilst following my useless footy team around the country.
Local BBC report from 2014.

How is it possible ?
There is enough space to build the highway by avoiding to pass on each side of the farm.
They certainly live with ears protection all the time with all the highway noise around.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #32749
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
I missed your post!

About medicine studies, I wouldn't use "many" as "few" seems more appropriate as for example in Arad we are only around 60 french students... not so much compared to italians for example that are something like 500 in here in medicine I suppose...

Quote:
Yes, I know many students go in Romania. Particularly for medicine studies. Same thing in Belgium for french students also.
Yes, and this is what I'm doing!
Old October 17th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #32750
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1185

Cemetery between both carriageways of the A-6 in Las Rozas, Madrid: https://goo.gl/maps/24ERkzDwZWG2

CEDEX (Centro de Estudios y Experimentación de Obras Públicas), a civil engineering research centre between both carriageways of the M-607 again in Madrid: https://goo.gl/maps/QpAcJUB66c22

Actually, that's quite an appropriate location for the latter
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #32751
piotr71

Here is the way how to become proficient in 3 languages having bought just one textbook .

Actually, I have not purchased it - it's my slightly delayed birthday gift, which I recently received. Quite expensive, but with no doubts worth the money spent.

winnipeg, Alex_ZR liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #32752
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Here is the way how to become proficient in 3 languages having bought just one textbook .

Actually, I have not purchased it - it's my slightly delayed birthday gift, which I recently received. Quite expensive, but with no doubts worth the money spent.
Interesting, but BCS is only speaked by 19 millions native speakers, if you only look at the numbers it would have been more interesting to learn german, spanish or french for example and if you want even more, you can look at indian or mandarin so you would be able to speak with billions of people on this earth!!
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #32753
piotr71

Learning those languages is matter of something else than only pragmatism
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #32754
volodaaaa

Well, I know a (Slovak), who learned Serbian in three months. Of course he moved there.

Old October 19th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #32755
piotr71

'Slovensky', by the way, is kind of Slavonic lingua franca. It is, in my opinion, best Slavic language to know if one would like to communicate in the world of Slavs. And, with no doubts, Slovak shares more common vocabulary with South Slavic languages (Western group, at least) than Polish. However, since I started learning BCS a few months ago, I discovered incredibly huge amount of words in the latter, which have same roots, cores and ethymology as many less commonly used words in Polish or not used anymore. For example: South Slavic "prst", which means 'finger' is not in use in Polish today, however, core "prst" still can be found in a word "naparstek", which means 'thimble'. In the past we used word "parst' or "pirst" to describe four fingers of fist, same as Slovaks now (as far as I know). "Palec" was only for 'thumb'.
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #32756
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

A guy in Turin stole a scooter and tried to take it home by tram. Of course he was arrested soon.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

piotr71 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #32757
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
A guy in Turin stole a scooter and tried to take it home by tram. Of course he was arrested soon.

He seems to be biting his nails. I can see what is on his mind: "Am I suspicious or not? No... no... I can't be... but... "

Old October 19th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #32758
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
'Slovensky', by the way, is kind of Slavonic lingua franca. It is, in my opinion, best Slavic language to know if one would like to communicate in the world of Slavs. And, with no doubts, Slovak shares more common vocabulary with South Slavic languages (Western group, at least) than Polish. However, since I started learning BCS a few months ago, I discovered incredibly huge amount of words in the latter, which have same roots, cores and ethymology as many less commonly used words in Polish or not used anymore. For example: South Slavic "prst", which means 'finger' is not in use in Polish today, however, core "prst" still can be found in a word "naparstek", which means 'thimble'. In the past we used word "parst' or "pirst" to describe four fingers of fist, same as Slovaks now (as far as I know). "Palec" was only for 'thumb'.
You may know this song from Bathory movie. She was one of the most severe serial killer in Hungarian Kingdom. The lyrics are in old Slavic language. You can hear the elements of Serbo-croatian, Polish, but also Czech language. I do not understand 40 % of it though

piotr71 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #32759
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You may know this song from Bathory movie. She was one of the most severe serial killer in Hungarian Kingdom. The lyrics are in old Slavic language. You can hear the elements of Serbo-croatian, Polish, but also Czech language. I do not understand 40 % of it though
I understand all of it. It doesn't seem to have much of old in it. I guess that the Czech gives you the trouble.

If there's a normalized language that could be considered as a source for all three Slavic language branches, it would be staroslověnština (Old Church Slavonic), although it is inspired most by the South Slavic branch it was codified in the time when the Slavic languages were not that divided yet and the language was more or less intelligible to all Slavs. It is bit difficult to show it now, because of the script, as it used the Glagolitic and Cyrillic script, so if latinized the texts are transliterated.

How did it sound, Proglas, probably the first Slavic written poem.

https://wikisource.org/wiki/Proglas%D1%8A
Quote:
transliterated:
Proglasъ jesmь svętu jevanьgelьju:
Jako proroci prorekli sǫtъ prěžde,
Christъ grędetъ sъbьratъ językъ,
Světъ bo jestъ vьsemu miru semu.
Se sъbystъ sę vъ sedmyi věkъ sь.

Rěšę bo oni: slěpii prozьrętъ,
glusi slyšętъ slovo bukъvьnoje.
Boga že ubo poznati dostoitъ.
Togo že radi slyšite, Slověne, si:
Darъ bo jestъ otъ Boga sь danъ,

Last edited by Surel; October 19th, 2015 at 07:16 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #32760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

A wooden bridge collapses with a truck on it. Is it filmed in Brazil?

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways