daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #32801
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

we are sociable creatures, even in cars
yesterday wasn't so pleasant though, I was driving on A13 in Italy, very thick fog, and trucks wanted me to go faster, so I had a constant light show behind me
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #32802
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Right, so I'm not the only one that feels that?

Usualy when I do the road Romania-France, most of the time I find somebody that is going at the same speed than me (or a bit higher) and I follow him (not too close!!), I found that this is easier, and when it is a local (for example in Austria), I consider that if a local is going at that speed I could follow him without trouble (for exemple 140km/h in Austria, etc...)
Never got any fines. Romanian police stopped my father at night speeding 110 in a village. He gave some 220 lei and that's all. He was going after a local
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #32803
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Never got any fines. Romanian police stopped my father at night speeding 110 in a village. He gave some 220 lei and that's all. He was going after a local
Well I'm more talking about speeding at 140km/h instead of 130km/h on motorway (a safe road), not like what you are talking about which for me is crazy, you shouldn't go at that speed by going though a city, except you want to kill someone (and it still happen too often here in Romania because people are driving like crazy... ).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #32804
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Three weeks ago I was driving through a village on Timisoara-Lugoj road at 50 km/h while a truck behind me was blinking with his headlights to go faster...

winnipeg, bgdimitrov liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #32805
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Three weeks ago I was driving through a village on Timisoara-Lugoj road at 50 km/h while a truck behind me was blinking with his headlights to go faster...
I sadly know that, the worst are (for me) the turkish truck drivers that are driving like crazy on dangerous roads (like DN7), and they already made some very dangerous overtaking while I was going at the right speed outside cities (90-100km/h) and it even happened many times in cities...

And of course police does nothing against them while there is still dead peoples on the road everyday in Romania and more specialy on this DN7 (Arad-Deva)...

bogdymol liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #32806
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Was there a blind bend or oncoming traffic? I think trucks usually pass cars driving "so slowly"... (I don't say that it's good but it's my experience...)

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #32807
Alex_ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Was there a blind bend or oncoming traffic? I think trucks usually pass cars driving "so slowly"... (I don't say that it's good but it's my experience...)
There was oncoming traffic, it's very busy road since the lack of motorway section. Truck overpassed me later at the open road where speed limit is 90km/h. Truck drivers should act as professionals, but they often don't do that...
Old November 13th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #32808
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Yesterday on the motorway Sistiana-Rabuiese, near Trieste:

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #32809
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Finnish coast guard has run out of gas.

https://www.facebook.com/merivartios...5086209372996/
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #32810
ukraroad

Hello guys. I'd like to involve you in the project that includes renovation of data on Wikipedia. The info there is rubbish(2012-2013) so I guess you'd need to start from blank. I'm doing the polish roads renovation. Please could you join it it's only login and any password u like. You may use the forums as the source. It is well recognized. At least if you wanna do that just make it in English. We can after divide the spheres of correction by countries. Any correction in other languages is welcome. I'm looking forward to any positive answer. I will appreciate all your efforts. Btw, we can also make a separate thread
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #32811
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

That's the problem of Wikipedia. Many articles are written at one point, but not substantially updated thereafter. In many cases it's only updated if there is some media attention. Some non-English Wikipedias engaged in a competition to create as many articles as possible (most notably the Dutch and Swedish Wikipedias which are majority bot-created). This leaves an impossible task to keep all these articles updated. Over time, the project becomes substantially outdated.

The problem for example with the Dutch Wikipedia is that there are far too many articles for too little active users. By far most users make only a few edits, but you need some dedicated staffing to check all articles on quality and keep them up to date. However the shared database of the entire Wikipedia makes it impossible to search for outdated information.

Another problem is that a project like Wikipedia draws language purists, if you check for example the Dutch Wikipedia talk pages on geographic locations, in 90% of the time the discussion is about naming conventions instead of improving the actual content. They only care about the name of the article instead of the article itself. Many articles about large cities are of very poor quality, consisting mostly of trivial stuff like famous people born there.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #32812
ukraroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yesterday on the motorway Sistiana-Rabuiese, near Trieste:

How the dickens have they come there
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #32813
ukraroad

So it might be that we mobilze some force on roads only. I mean not other topics. I use it much often but I can do nothing with dutch as i don't know it. Anyway I am updating Poland. The strange fact is, the users only edot grammar but not stuff in itself when it is obvious it is out of date. Yet I had only translated the general article but not others yet. I gonna do that in some time. I well some other Slav eastern languages, so I guess it would be nice if we make some voluntary work. The hardest is to update the ancient data articles, but to keep care is a much nicer story. I'd spent e.g. 22 work-hours to correct the highways in poland as well as to add from some polish parts of the article. To take care it took me 20 mins.
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #32814
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

meanwhile in Croatia.
it is not completely clear how he got up there.

cinxxx liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #32815
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

What a complete girl. Man up you.

http://m.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/1113/7...-sue-clarkson/
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #32816
MichiH

@ukraroad: I absolutely agree Chris. That's why I stopped editing wikipedia articles many years ago.

The German wikipedia articles are often better than the English articles or the articles of the countries' language. The German articles of Polish roads are usually up-to-date. Thanks to Daniel749 .

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #32817
Alex_ZR

Talking about Wikipedia, according to this article, there's Google Street View in Kosovo:

Quote:
Thursday, October 29, 2015 Landmarks in Pristina, Kosovo, including night views of Mother Tereza Downtown
and the only thing I can see there are individually made photo spheres.
Old November 14th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #32818
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Exactly, it says that some landmarks in Pristina are shown, not all of Kosovo.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #32819
ukraroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
@ukraroad: I absolutely agree Chris. That's why I stopped editing wikipedia articles many years ago.

The German wikipedia articles are often better than the English articles or the articles of the countries' language. The German articles of Polish roads are usually up-to-date. Thanks to Daniel749 .
Well, I kind of agree with you, however, the Germans had no update since 2011 on Poland, so I guess there are two options: either to involve more people, or to claim the project's vain
Old November 14th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #32820
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Germans had no update since 2011 on Poland

Last A1 update, September 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.
Last A4 update, July 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.
Last S3 update, October 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.
Last S5 update, November 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.
Last S6 update, November 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.
Last S7 update, October 2015: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history.

Tags
highways, motorways