daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #32821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The amount of edits doesn't necessarily say something about quality. Some people write a huge essay in just one edit, while others add little sections and corrections in many edits.

Having many people editing an article doesn't necessarily makes it better. It's difficult to keep track of all edits and make sure they are correct, and it increases the chance of strange prose / wording and inconsistent layout.

What you'll see with many articles about persons who are in the media often (especially musicians and actors) is that a section with prose evolves into a list with the latest updates. This happens especially with the second-tier articles (just below the top importance articles).

Wikipedia also suffers from recentism, in that a disproportionate amount of the article is about recent events. This is quite natural, as Wikipedia often gets updated if something makes the news, but older stuff would require much more time-consuming research. In terms of roads, it could mean that every little change on a motorway in the last 5 years is logged, while major expansion projects in the 1970s or 1980s gets just one sentence or is not mentioned at all.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #32822
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In terms of roads, it could mean that every little change on a motorway in the last 5 years is logged, while major expansion projects in the 1970s or 1980s gets just one sentence or is not mentioned at all.
Agree. On the other hand, I think that most people are more interested in the current progress and future plans.......

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #32823
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
The amount of edits doesn't necessarily say something about quality.
Several years ago there was a football (for American readers: soccer) game where the referee made a huge mistake which actually decided the game.
There was an article about that referee in Wikipedia. The fans of the team which hast lost corrected it like instead of "X.Y. is a football referee" writing "is a cheater". It was restored but was changed again like "is a football referee that should f*** his mother" (using the insulting word instead of asterisks), and so on.
The article was changed about one hundred times in no more than 12 hours.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #32824
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Well I got your opinion, I guess we should not rely yet on it, as well that there are some b***hy people editing the right into wrong. I will try, even though I have a five-hour-a-week access to computer. I use a lot of Skyscrapercity . Btw, the word in asterixes is no swear word according to Oxford dictionary, advanced, 9th edition, but "rather disapproving and inoffensive unless in very official cases"
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #32825
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Neat historical vid about ferry service between Tilbury (near London, England) and Antwerp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlyX7h_SCQU
Old November 18th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #32826
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

I've just seen the Back to the Future film. What an original plot. I really enjoyed that :-)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #32827
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I went to the movies to see Spectre yesterday. I liked the film and action sequences, though the storyline dragged on for too long at certain times. The pre-title sequence in particular was quite spectacular.

Apparently the critical reception in the UK and Europe is much better than in North America.
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #32828
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Thats because there's a deeper storyline and less action.. that's hard to follow across the pond
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #32829
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

A truck carrying oranges from Murcia, Spain to Riga, Latvia was found last Sunday morning in a forest track near Ezcaray, La Rioja. The weirdest thing is that the place where the truck was found is located 350 km / 217 mi far from the fastest road route between Murcia and Riga (Spanish AP-7 or N-340).

Probably the Ukrainian truck driver got lost because of the extremely confusing Spanish signage and when he tried to use the GPS system, things got even worse

Source (and picture):

Spanish: http://www.larioja.com/comarcas/2015...7003839-v.html

Google-translated English: https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #32830
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
A truck carrying oranges from Murcia, Spain to Riga, Latvia was found last Sunday morning in a forest track near Ezcaray, La Rioja. The weirdest thing is that the place where the truck was found is located 350 km / 217 mi far from the fastest road route between Murcia and Riga (Spanish AP-7 or N-340).

Probably the Ukrainian truck driver got lost because of the extremely confusing Spanish signage and when he tried to use the GPS system, things got even worse

Source (and picture):

Spanish: http://www.larioja.com/comarcas/2015...7003839-v.html

Google-translated English: https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url
Not the first time such a thing happens. A Swedish couple drove to Carpi in Italy instead of Capri. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...g-mistake.html
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 05:02 PM   #32831
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

As some of you know I temporarily moved to Ajaccio in Corsica in September and I'm staying here till May. A I bought a car a few weeks ago to get a chance of seeing as much of the island as possible.

It cost me €900 and drives acceptably, it gets me where I want to go. The radio doesn't work though, and the hazard light button seems to be missing(?!), which I didn't check when I bought it.

Suburbanist, winnipeg liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 05:31 PM   #32832
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Nice little car, even if you paid it a bit too expensive in my opinion... but if it goes well on the road it's okay!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 05:41 PM   #32833
ChrisZwolle
Road user

€ 900 is not that bad if it is in good condition. But this model is nearly 20 years old (it was produced until 1996, when it was facelifted).

I like the Peugeot styling of this era. One of my neighbors drives a Peugeot 405 sedan, it still looks good today.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
Old November 21st, 2015, 06:19 PM   #32834
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

The early 1990s marked a period of very cheap entry-level cars that weren't crappy. Technology advancements had increased reliability of cheap cars (contrary to some examples of the late 1970s/early 1980s with cheap cars that degraded quickly and broke down often), but tough environmental and safety laws hadn't yet kicked in requiring expensive implementations of devices and design changes that dispoportionally affected the lower-end of the market (cost of airbargs / cost of everything else ratio is higher for a cheap than for a big sedan).

winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 06:55 PM   #32835
winnipeg

Quote:
€ 900 is not that bad if it is in good condition. But this model is nearly 20 years old (it was produced until 1996, when it was facelifted).

I like the Peugeot styling of this era. One of my neighbors drives a Peugeot 405 sedan, it still looks good today.
I don't know about the price in other countries, but in France those olds cars are usualy even more afortable in a good condition, if you look at the selling between individuals, at this price you could have for example a 106 but in phase 2 (a bit newer) or a 306, all in good conditions...

I'm completly agree with that, and I still have the example in my family, we keept an old Renault 19 from 1992 (mostly for sentimental reason) but it's still working great and it's also fun to drive...
Old November 21st, 2015, 06:57 PM   #32836
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The early 1990s marked a period of very cheap entry-level cars that weren't crappy. Technology advancements had increased reliability of cheap cars (contrary to some examples of the late 1970s/early 1980s with cheap cars that degraded quickly and broke down often), but tough environmental and safety laws hadn't yet kicked in requiring expensive implementations of devices and design changes that dispoportionally affected the lower-end of the market (cost of airbargs / cost of everything else ratio is higher for a cheap than for a big sedan).
Absolutly, I wasn't talking about the quality of the car, I was only talking about the price. Those cars are nice.
Old November 21st, 2015, 07:45 PM   #32837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you drive on the French countryside, there's still a lot of cars in the 25 - 35 year old range driving around. They last pretty long, especially the diesels.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM   #32838
winnipeg

Quote:
If you drive on the French countryside, there's still a lot of cars in the 25 - 35 year old range driving around. They last pretty long, especially the diesels.
It's true even if those cars are certainly a disaster (old diesels are emitting a too big quantity of particules... ), but true!
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:52 PM   #32839
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

It's amusing since French cars in North America vapourized so quickly that they last so long in France...
Still on occasion you can see an old beret-wearing diehard rolling an old 505 or 504 even but never a 405...
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:44 AM   #32840
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if cars are more expensive here than elsewhere, most things are. There were a couple of cars for sale here at about €900, then there were a load that weren't much younger going for €2,500.

I had heard that registering cars in under the French system was quite a long process but it wasn't that bad. It's more complicated than in the UK where you just fill in a short form and send it off in the post, no other documents needed. Here I needed proof of residence and a copy of my passport and to go to the council offices. That said, I didn't spend more than two minutes in the office, probably less, nothing like the horror stories I read.

Getting car insurance was harder because the date I received my licence was incompatible with the computer programme as I was under 18 at the time, so the insurance lady made something up for me to able to use my 3 years no claims bonus which was nice and she also said that my accent almost disappeared when I said my phone number.

winnipeg liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways