daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #32921
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
And???

You can choose to avoid driving in those conditions. When there is heavy rain or a storm, I stop my car for few minutes, it's the safest thing to do...

But avoiding motorways is very hard right now, we hopefully have motorways through all Europe. But you're right, driving on motorways is not that hard, but there is some mechanisms like watching carefuly of a car is coming, etc... that you have to learn, and the best way to learn it is to practice it!!
But driving on motorway include all actions that are derived from those ones you need to drive in a city. There is no other action you should learn additionally.

Once you are a good driver in a city, you have good predispositions to be a good driver on a motorway and vice versa, if you are bad driver in a city, you will be bad driver on a motorway too. The only difference is that driving on a motorway is much more smooth so you are less likely to get involved in a dangerous situation (although once you are, the consequences might be fatal).

Driving on a motorway include only few things:
- watching you mirrors,
- keeping you car on the lane,
- know how to brake.

The only weakness is that all the traffic on motorway is fast.

Kanadzie liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #32922
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

You forgot "driving at high speed" because when you are learning you are not supposed to go faster than a certain speed (80km/h on extra-urban roads in France for example), maybe you are used to it, but I think that it could be very difficult the firsts times you are on a motorway at an high speed...

Yes but it's not that simple, for me you don't put someone who as only drove on cities on a motorways simply like this...

Anyway...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #32923
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Of course it is the matter of attitude. But if I compare the people I know and they are afraid of driving on motorway with the people I know and they are afraid of driving in cities, the latter ones prevail.

My GF got driving licence last year and when I told them to go to motorway, she was like "are you crazy?" and indeed, she drove at 90 kph which was dangerous. But It was interesting to observe how she naturally got used to the speed and she reached the moment when she was at 130 kph without noticing that.

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #32924
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

my wife tends to reach speeds over 160 kph on the motorway
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #32925
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Of course it is the matter of attitude. But if I compare the people I know and they are afraid of driving on motorway with the people I know and they are afraid of driving in cities, the latter ones prevail.

My GF got driving licence last year and when I told them to go to motorway, she was like "are you crazy?" and indeed, she drove at 90 kph which was dangerous. But It was interesting to observe how she naturally got used to the speed and she reached the moment when she was at 130 kph without noticing that.
I see! So she's a good driver!

I think that you also forgot the consequences into your equation, having an accident at 50km/h and at 130km/h is absolutly not the same...
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #32926
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
my wife tends to reach speeds over 160 kph on the motorway
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #32927
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

I had a GF who always complained to me about how fast I drove... 130 or 140 kph on motorway.

I let her drive on a long trip... I look at needle... 135 kph, so I complained and she was surprised
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #32928
bogdymol
bogdymod

I remember first time when I drove on a motorway. It was in Hungary, few months after I got my drivers licence (in this time I drove quite a lot for a beginner in the city and a little bit on rural roads). I entered the motorway, but at 100-110 km/h I was feeling that I was driving with the speed of light. I didn't drove very much because I was all sweating, so I stopped and my father continued.

My wife, while she had to go from point A to point B while making the driving school, once entered the motorway for about 10 km because it was a good shortcut compared with the alternative roads (her driving instructor 'pushed' her to do so). Beeing so unexperienced at the time, she drove with about 70 km/h. Lorries were overpassing her, horning... Now I have to remind her the speed limit of 130 km/h and that in case she gets a fone, it will be paid from the new clothes budget... then she slows down
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, winnipeg, Attus liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #32929
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

When I learnt to drive, it was required to drive 3 lessons (a 45 minutes) on Autobahn. I did the 3 lessons on a Saturday morning. The driving instructor just said "Feuern!" (Fire!) when I was on the acceleration lane. I was not sure how fast I should drive. I asked my instrucor and he answered that the advisory speed limit is 130km/h. I drove 160..170km/h and the instructor didn't criticize anything. I think I have never been driven so slow on that section since that time except of bad winter condition or if there was a Baustelle (construction site).

I think driving 100km/h on a rural 2-laned road with opposite traffic is more dangerous compared to driving 180km/h on a motorway. If the motorway is empty and road condition is good...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

TrojaA liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #32930
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

In Italy is illegal to drive on motorways and expressways while practising (i.e. before getting the driving license).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #32931
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
In Italy is illegal to drive on motorways and expressways while practising (i.e. before getting the driving license).
Judging by the way Italians drive, I guess it's justified

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I remember first time when I drove on a motorway. It was in Hungary, few months after I got my drivers licence (in this time I drove quite a lot for a beginner in the city and a little bit on rural roads). I entered the motorway, but at 100-110 km/h I was feeling that I was driving with the speed of light. I didn't drove very much because I was all sweating, so I stopped and my father continued.
I also drove first time on a motorway in Hungary, 2 years after I got my drivers license. I drove to Budapest and then further to Vienna. And back. First half hour or so I was a little afraid, then it got better.

But before that, the first time I drove longer outside of the city was a roadtrip to Palic, Subotica in Serbia, then Szeged, Hungary and back to Timisoara. We had no GPS, just a printed map from Google Maps and some writings on it, some roadmarks, we should pay attention. We got lost many times, we asked people for directions, using every language we knew, and hands, it was a nice adventure

After that the appetite for travel grew more and more, and we still haven't stopped

Quote:
My wife, while she had to go from point A to point B while making the driving school, once entered the motorway for about 10 km because it was a good shortcut compared with the alternative roads (her driving instructor 'pushed' her to do so). Beeing so unexperienced at the time, she drove with about 70 km/h. Lorries were overpassing her, horning... Now I have to remind her the speed limit of 130 km/h and that in case she gets a fone, it will be paid from the new clothes budget... then she slows down
The "clothes budget" was so funny
A little harder for me to use that line, since my wife actually earns more money than I do
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #32932
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I drove over 125kms on the motorway during my driving lessons. Over 100 of which where from the 'Rotterdamrit' where I had to drive to Rotterdam, drive around for an hour there (with short break inbetween) and back. Unknown region, much busier, trams etc. Was a good experience
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #32933
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

When I learnt to drive, my instructor and I also drove three driving lessons on the Autobahn. We drove one lesson 200km/h (near Vmax of this little A3), when there was not that much traffic, but he gave me also instructions how to drive defensive and what one shouldn't do in dense traffic to avoid backlogging traffic.

Although cruising on the motorway is way more relaxing than city traffic, imho every one should've lessons on the motorway network. You've to gain a feeling for high speeds and also get a feeling for that moment, when you leave the motorway and even 100km/h on a country road feels damn slow.

However more and more stretches of the german Autobahn and motorway-like B-roads get limited to 120 to 130km/h (mostly because of Green Party's politics). Although a number like 120 or 130 seems very random to me, why not 140 (like e.g. in Poland), 150 or 160?
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #32934
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

12 years ago my first driving lesson ever was on sunday noon with light traffic, I started at huge empty IKEA parking lot, I was calm because there was nothing to be afraid...
And then the instructor ordered to go out on normal streets, it was my first driving lesson ever I didn´t had any theory lesson in classroom! She made that decision becasue saw that I´m not nervous, I had respect but no fear. Biggest problem was with coordinating both legs
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #32935
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Driving on a motorway in dense traffic is all but relaxing. You must check the back of the car in front of you all the way, its breaking lights, which is pretty exhausting. And here in Western Germany such a thing like an empty motorway hardly exists. Maybe at 2AM, but I usually sleep at that time :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #32936
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
And here in Western Germany such a thing like an empty motorway hardly exists. Maybe at 2AM, but I usually sleep at that time :-)
I agree if you're talking about NRW, especially the triangle b/n Dortmund, Duisburg and Cologne. Anyway, it depends on the definition of an "empty motorway" .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #32937
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

I drove first time on motorway three years after getting driving license, since there are not so many motorways around my area. And also I never drove faster than 130 km/h, because I don't drive car whose max speed is 200 km/h...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #32938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Don't you just hate people who can't park straight?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #32939
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I agree if you're talking about NRW, especially the triangle b/n Dortmund, Duisburg and Cologne. Anyway, it depends on the definition of an "empty motorway" .
I think the southernmost point of the critical area is not Cologne but Bonn.
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #32940
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
I drove first time on motorway three years after getting driving license, since there are not so many motorways around my area. And also I never drove faster than 130 km/h, because I don't drive car whose max speed is 200 km/h...
I got my license in 1995 and I lived back then in a town near to Budapest and there is a motorway between my home town and Budapest. So I drove on motorway two days after getting my driver license :-) (Actually my very first drive after getting the license).

Tags
highways, motorways