daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #32941
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

About empty motorways, last Sunday I drove all the way out to Ariza (Which is as far West as you can get in Aragon) early in the morning, before 9:00. When I got past Calatayud I was practically alone in the motorway, quite a sight especially taking into account it is the main route between Madrid and Barcelona.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #32942
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

First time, I drove on motorway half a year after getting my driving licence. It was cold dry winter day with no snow. The temperature spanned from -4°C to 4°C. I drove with my parents to vacation on D1 motorway.

As it has been already mentioned here, first I thought I drive at speed of light (it was about 110 kph) but then I got used to it. I was just afraid of ice. Next year I met with my GF and I drove on motorway to see her almost everyday.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #32943
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i drove on motorway in driving school.
even more - i drove on motorway already on 3rd driving lesson.
even more - i drove over speed limit on motorway in driving school (almost 150; however, it was not easy to reach with Golf SDI :lol. )

my worst nightmare in driving school was driving on the road without horizontal markings during the night. i was really frightened when i did it.
Old December 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #32944
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
But driving on motorway include all actions that are derived from those ones you need to drive in a city. There is no other action you should learn additionally.

Once you are a good driver in a city, you have good predispositions to be a good driver on a motorway and vice versa, if you are bad driver in a city, you will be bad driver on a motorway too. The only difference is that driving on a motorway is much more smooth so you are less likely to get involved in a dangerous situation (although once you are, the consequences might be fatal).
From time to time, I can witness how completely lost are black cab drivers on motorways, even though they are highly proficient on London streets.

Quote:
Driving on a motorway include only few things:
- watching you mirrors,
- keeping you car on the lane,
- know how to brake.

The only weakness is that all the traffic on motorway is fast.
In my opinion, braking on motorway is the last thing driver should do. Smooth driving on motorway - which I think is the most demanded way of moving on multi lane, fast road - requires certain amount of experience and competency, which cannot be learned on in-town roads, at all.

That "only" makes those two environments, city and dalnica, kind of different, not necessary possible to compare, species. Say, it would be like comparing two mammals: jaguar to panda
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #32945
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

In the USA you can get your license without any driving school at all. If you're over 18, all you need to do is take the test, both written and driving. I think this is why we have so many lunatics on the roads here. If it was up to me I would immediately change that. I think if we had educated drivers there would be far less chaos on the roads here.

I learned to drive early. My father started teaching me when I was 14 and I got my license when I was 15 from my school. Well learners permit, until sixteen, but even at 15 I could drive with an adult in the car. I was lucky that my school had a driving class, so I actually got legit and quality lessons. One month classroom, and two weeks of on the road experience, including expressway driving.

And then about a month after getting my learners permit, my father broke down about 1000km away, so he called my mom to come and pick him up. We were new immigrants to America and she was a new driver as well, so she panicked, but I eagerly volunteered. So my first real drive was 1000km from Texas to Mississippi from 10pm to 3 or 4am. My mom was terrified, but I was over the moon excited. I drove the whole way there and back. I loved it. To this day I've never had a car accident, and I think it's because of my early experience and quality education.

Festin liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #32946
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
In the USA you can get your license without any driving school at all. If you're over 18, all you need to do is take the test, both written and driving.

You should the option to get the license without paying x amount of cash to driving schools who wont sign you up for the test before you have spent the amount they want.

I think the majority of those who learn without driving school learns to really drive the car but are maybe less good in being in the traffic.
While those from driving school learns to being in the traffic but less in driving the car.

So depending on what area of a country you live in, you may need the different thing.
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #32947
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Honestly I somewhat question the use of driving school
after 90 days of driving as a normal driver I'm sure all has been forgotten or learned anyway.
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #32948
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Drove on A9 Nuremberg-Ingolstadt some minutes ago. Very thick fog near Ingolstadt, bad visibility, so I drove carefully and slowed down. Then an idiot comes from behind and honks his horn like crazy. He also had a lane on the left to overtake. To many were driving to fast judging by the weather conditions...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #32949
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Driving on a freeway under light and good weather conditions is not that difficult. You keep distance of the car ahead and you shall be mostly fine.

I think the most difficult type of street for driving are multi-lane city avenues/arterials/boulevards where you have mopeds, pedestrians, traffic lights, trams/buses etc.
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #32950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

A car from Mongolia was spotted in the Netherlands.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #32951
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

How is that possible?

The farest I have seen here is some Iranian trucks in Hungary...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #32952
winnipeg

Also about licence plates, here in Romania I saw many cars with US licence plate. They are probably coming from Romanians that have been in the US and bring those cars back in Romania by cargo or something like that.... but how they can use it in Romania? For example in France it is strictly forbiden to drive such car, the car has to go through homologation which cost a lot and you have to register it so you will have a new local licence plate and pay taxes that goes with it...

Since these laws are Europeans I think, I'm asking myself how this is possible... Is this coming from laxism of autorities? Corruption?
Old December 6th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #32953
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Well - if you have the valid USA license you can drive as a tourist in any reasonable country (as long as you have valid insurance) just like driving with RO plates in F.
of course if you are not a real tourist but living in Romania you need to get local license. But homologation shouldn't necessarily be costly, EU regulations are typically easier than USA ones (or the car meets it anyway)

I'm amused by the transliterated license plate on the Mongolian car window
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #32954
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Is there any paved road linking Far East Russia with the major population centers? I though I'd read a while ago that there is only the railway links, not any decent road, out there. If there is a road connection, then travelling from Mongolia is not really a bureaucratic nightmare, just need to cross Russia and arrive in EU territory afterwards :p
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #32955
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there any paved road linking Far East Russia with the major population centers? I though I'd read a while ago that there is only the railway links, not any decent road, out there. If there is a road connection, then travelling from Mongolia is not really a bureaucratic nightmare, just need to cross Russia and arrive in EU territory afterwards :p
You would rather go via China and Kazakhstan I guess. Siberia is not the best choice for a car travel...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #32956
winnipeg

Quote:
It seems that there is projects for such highways... : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_...n_Highways.png

Such roadtrip is certainly one of my biggest dreams even if there is not so much to see and roads are hard, the only fact to do a such roadtrip (I love roadtrips) which only few people have done...
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #32957
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Well - if you have the valid USA license you can drive as a tourist in any reasonable country (as long as you have valid insurance) just like driving with RO plates in F.
of course if you are not a real tourist but living in Romania you need to get local license. But homologation shouldn't necessarily be costly, EU regulations are typically easier than USA ones (or the car meets it anyway)

I'm amused by the transliterated license plate on the Mongolian car window
Of course!

I don't know about romania, but when you export a car to France, there is a mention with the customs thats says that you can't use it as if you were a tourist, you need to register it (with the homologation). I don't know about Romania, but here in Romania you can only keep a no-romanian registred car for 90 days in Romania (including cars that are coming from other europeans countries), after 90 days you have to register it... and I'm pretty sure that there is also laws about car importation from outside EU, but these were not applied before Romania entered into EU and now because of the laxism (or the high level of corruption) you can still see such cars on Romanian roads... (I'm not sure that those car have found an insurrance that are accepting them, so they are probably not insurred... ).
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #32958
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Coming back to languages
Funny video about German

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #32959
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Quote:
Is there any paved road linking Far East Russia with the major population centers? I though I'd read a while ago that there is only the railway links
No. There may be a mix of gravel roads and ferries usable in a Siberian summer but nothing continous and paved that is usable in winter.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #32960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

I think there is a continuous paved road to Vladivostok by now. Magadan is a different story. There are no roads leading up to the Bering Strait or Kamchatka.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways