daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #32961
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think there is a continuous paved road to Vladivostok by now.
I think I read the same. Hasn't the last section been completed this year?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #32962
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Is Magadan like Vladivostok (a city where foreigners can't go unless they have special permission)?
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #32963
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
I don't know about romania, but when you export a car to France, there is a mention with the customs thats says that you can't use it as if you were a tourist, you need to register it (with the homologation).
There is no intra-EU homologation for standard type-approved cars assembled within the EU.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #32964
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I'm amused by the transliterated license plate on the Mongolian car window
It's normal. Plates using non-Latin letters needs to be trasliterated by law. I've seen the same on Iranian trucks.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #32965
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is Magadan like Vladivostok (a city where foreigners can't go unless they have special permission)?
AFAIK anyone can go to Vladivostok, once has been given the permission to enter Russia. Vladivostok is the terminus of the Trans-Siberian railway, popular among international tourists.
The road between Moscow and Valdivostok is paved and visible on Google Street View. The famous "Road of Bones" to Yakutsk and Magadan is not paved and it's a nightmare to drive on (I'm not sure if it's open year-round or only when it's frozen). This is the coldest area of the Earth outside Antarctica, with temperatures around -70°C recorded.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #32966
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Today Anglo American said they were getting rid of almost 2/3 of their workers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35038076

Quote:
on Tuesday the price of iron ore tumbled to a 10-year low of $39.60 a tonne, after reaching a peak near $200 in 2011.
and

Quote:
these include assets that we will sell, so the 85,000 jobs don't [all] disappear as many will be employed by new owners of those mines that we sell.
Economically with material and fuel prices low anyone who won a road building tender in 2013 is making big profit now as their inputs are so low. But overall this commodites rout points to much lower levels of construction globally.

Mega mines in West Australia and Brazil can produce and wash their faces as low as $20 a ton right now. This leads to mine closures in China itself as much as anywhere. Smog alerts in Beijing lead to steel plant idling on the other hand.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/redcar-chin...ations-1524399

Quote:
roducer, the United States, made 115 million tonnes of a world total of 497 million tonnes.

In 2014, the USA produced just over 88 million tonnes, China 822.7 million tonnes, and the world 1.6 billion tonnes.

Last year then, China's share of global steel output was 49.4 per cent. This was not a problem when the country exported little and consumed the bulk of its output domestically – think of all that motorway building, much of it laid on a ferro-concrete bed; the railway lines, much of it for high-speed lines; the skyscrapers and urban expansion
Chaotic times for iron and steel. "Cheaper than cabbage" indeed.

And THIS just came on stream in Australia in the last few weeks.

Last edited by sponge_bob; December 8th, 2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add vid
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #32967
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's normal. Plates using non-Latin letters needs to be trasliterated by law. I've seen the same on Iranian trucks.
Haven't seen on Egyptian though
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #32968
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

It seems that you don't need to be Smart to own one...

(Seen today )

MichiH liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #32969
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I understand (okay, no I don't, but let's pretend I do) when the problem with parking concerns owners of huge SUVs. But Smart? Seriously? You can fit three Smarts side by side transversely.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #32970
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

I've got a serious question. How does your traffic legislation deal with dedicated/bus lanes at intersection?

It is an incredible mess in Slovakia and I would like to initiate small reform (there is a consultation phase of respective law amendment right now).

We have this sign (seemingly influenced by German law) for bus lanes:

But this sign can't define a bus lane at intersection. It can't define direction of driving lanes at all. Just number and which one is dedicated.

For example: this sign is invalid, because it defines directions.

The cities therefore use this one for defining the directions of respective driving lanes at intersections.

In terms of bus lanes it can include restriction like in this example. Unfortunately, we have no sign similar to the miniature from previous one defined.

The additional sign reads "Except Urban and suburban public transport".

I've been looking it up on the Internet, but except Hungary, I failed to find how are bus lanes at intersections signposted in foreign countries. All I've found concerns dedicated lanes at plain sections of roads.

Because current situation makes some sign planners undertaking very interesting solutions like this one in Košice.

I would like to completely do away with the white traffic sign, define the white-bus-blue-filled-circle sign and use it together with the latter one (so it can combine dedicated lanes with directions). The problem is that I've found that system only in Hungary.

This is the optimal case:

Last edited by volodaaaa; December 11th, 2015 at 01:01 AM.
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #32971
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

In Canada typically they just use a "right lane must turn right" sign with an "except bus" tag, and paint the road with reserved lane but show it ending before intersection and starting only a short distance after it to allow for entering and exiting traffic.

example: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.47367...2!8i6656?hl=en
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #32972
winnipeg

In Romania the "turn right" lane is most of the time used by roadhog that want to go faster tan other lanes and so they are overtaking every other cars by this lane and insert right in front of them... this is super-dangerous and stupid driving...
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #32973
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I've got a serious question. How does your traffic legislation deal with dedicated/bus lanes at intersection?
In Finland, the bus lane ends at the intersection, unless terminated earlier. Thus, there are no bus lanes at intersections.

The traffic turning at the next intersection are allowed to use the bus lane, as well as bicycles.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #32974
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
In Romania the "turn right" lane is most of the time used by roadhog that want to go faster tan other lanes and so they are overtaking every other cars by this lane and insert right in front of them... this is super-dangerous and stupid driving...
Sounds like the bus lane in Ajaccio, which as far as I know is the only bus lane in Corsica, though there may well be a few I haven't seen. People tend not to drive in it if there's not too big a traffic jam but if there is it just turns into a third or fourth lane depending on the stretch.

winnipeg liked this post
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #32975
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #32976
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

She's funny!

For example I saw this other video of her : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlT0RFPAdYI
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #32977
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Out of curiosity, are you a Czech citizen? If so, could you have gotten a Czech license even though you're living outside the country, or do you have to get a Dutch one?
Yes. I would have to travel to the CZ to the place where I got my license. Maybe I could arrange something through the embassy, but I am not sure of that.

In the EU, the drivers license of any EU country can be renewed by any EU country. So basically you give them your CZ license that is in Czech and you obtain the NL license that is in Dutch. When I would move back to CZ I can keep the NL license of course, and when it would be expiring again change it for the Dutch one.

From January 19th 2013, all new driving licences issued across the EU must be in the form of a plastic "credit card," with a standard European format and tougher security protection.

However the standard has been introduced earlier already. In fact the whole process is more or less standardized and it looks the same, has the same shape, size, and should have the same safety features. etc...

NL

CZ

There's been even sort of cross the border tourism by the Germans to obtain their license in CZ because it is much cheaper of course to do the lessons there. The costs of driving license courses and exam can mount to more than one thousand Euro in The Netherlands, while would be perhaps three hundred in the CZ.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #32978
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

My wife's drivers license expired not long ago and she applied for a German one.
It's valid for 15 years (Romanian is only 10).
No medical check was needed, only to show an ID and old drivers license. And by means of a simple paper she signed, I was able to pick up the new one for her, with my and her ID and old drivers license.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #32979
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
It seems that you don't need to be Smart to own one...

(Seen today )
The Dutch can do this better (or worse, depending on your point of view )

http://imgur.com/a/dLx7N
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #32980
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
My wife's drivers license expired not long ago and she applied for a German one.
It's valid for 15 years (Romanian is only 10).
No medical check was needed, only to show an ID and old drivers license. And by means of a simple paper she signed, I was able to pick up the new one for her, with my and her ID and old drivers license.
It's the first time I read that a German driver license for cars can expire. Does it expire because you are Romanian?

I checked my driver license. "4b. -" That means, no expire date!

It's only required that Germans change their old document to the new plastic card till 18th January 2033.

Medical check is only required for truck driver license. It expires when you are 50 years old and must be renewed each 5 years again.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways