daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #32981
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's the first time I read that a German driver license for cars can expire. Does it expire because you are Romanian?

I checked my driver license. "4b. -" That means, no expire date!

It's only required that Germans change their old document to the new plastic card till 18th January 2033.

Medical check is only required for truck driver license. It expires when you are 50 years old and must be renewed each 5 years again.
All these rules are same all across the EU, or at least they should be. But of course it is a directive, so the actual wording is different in every country.

All newly issued documents should be the same as well. Basically its all here. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...6L0126&from=EN

As about the validity:
Quote:
(e)

who have their normal residence in the territory of the Member State issuing the licence, or can produce evidence that they have been studying there for at least six months.

(a)

As from 19 January 2013, licences issued by Member States for categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, B1 and BE shall have an administrative validity of 10 years.

A Member State may choose to issue such licences with an administrative validity of up to 15 years;

(b)

As from 19 January 2013, licences issued by Member States for categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1, D1E shall have an administrative validity of 5 years;

(c)

The renewal of a driving licence may trigger a new administrative validity period for another category or categories the licence holder is entitled to drive, insofar as this is in conformity with the conditions laid down in this Directive;

(d)

The presence of a microchip pursuant to Article 1 shall not be a prerequisite for the validity of a driving licence. The loss or unreadability of the microchip, or any other damage thereto, shall not affect the validity of the document.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #32982
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
All these rules are same all across the EU, or at least they should be. But of course it is a directive, so the actual wording is different in every country.

All newly issued documents should be the same as well. Basically its all here. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...6L0126&from=EN

As about the validity:
The German interpretation is that you have to renew driver licenses which were issued on 18th January 2013 or later. Particularly to update name and pic on the card.

Quote:
Seit dem 19.01.2013 ausgestellte Führerscheine sind nach den Vorgaben der sog. 3. EG-Führerscheinrichtlinie - unabhängig von der zugrundeliegenden Fahrerlaubnis - auf 15 Jahre befristet. Nach Ablauf dieser Gültigkeit muss ein neuer Führerschein ausgestellt werden. Diese Regelung dient insbesondere der Aktualisierung von Namen sowie des Lichtbildes.

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Art...hein-2013.html
I already changed my driver license earlier than 2013. That means I do not have to renew my card each 15 years. It will never expire.

Validity of foreign driving licences in the Federal Republic of Germany

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #32983
Surel

That is the correct interpretation up until 2033, because the directive did not apply before 2013. But I think you will have to do it by 2033 though to ensure that the license complies to the directive.
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #32984
MichiH

No, I already have the new "plastic" one.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #32985
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
It's the first time I read that a German driver license for cars can expire. Does it expire because you are Romanian?
No, but because it was issued in 2015. My license, too will expire in 2029 (it was issued in 2014).

Interesting, when I applied for a German driver license (I had had a Hungarian one since 1995) I had to have a medical check but only sight check, nothing more. Perhaps because I have glasses, I don't know.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #32986
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Afaik the German drivers license is not "for life" as it used to be.
Even the owners of such document have to change it to the plastic one until 2033. After that it will a validity date on it (so it should be renewed after it's expiration).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #32987
MichiH

The card is not "for life" (because pic and name should be updated each 15 years) but the license is "for life" (except truck license)! That's what I found in official sources. I already have a plastic one without expiration date (on the card)! I changed my old pink paper document (which was hardly readable because it got wet) in 2005. I think it looks exactly like the official card everyone need by 2033.

I think I do not have to change my card by 2033 or anytime later. Maybe I'm wrong though....

Nevertheless, German driver licenses never expire. If my card would be invalid after 2033 I just had to pay a fine and I would have to go to the authority, give them an actual pic and I'll get a new card. The same applies if one will not change one's old pink or grey paper document by 2033. That's what I read in official statements yesterday.

Edit: My mother also changed her grey document to a "plastic card" in 2005. Her name in the old document was still her name of birth which was changed when she married in 1979. That means, her name on the document was wrong for more than 25 years. From 2033, the name is allowed to be outdated for maximum 15 years.

cinxxx liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; December 13th, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #32988
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i still have my old-fashioned licence, and i don't intend to change it because new ones are valid 10 years after issuing, while my old one valids till the year 2046
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #32989
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
The card is not "for life" (because pic and name should be updated each 15 years) but the license is "for life" (except truck license)! That's what I found in official sources. I already have a plastic one without expiration date (on the card)! I changed my old pink paper document (which was hardly readable because it got wet) in 2005. I think it looks exactly like the official card everyone need by 2033.

I think I do not have to change my card by 2033 or anytime later. Maybe I'm wrong though....

Nevertheless, German driver licenses never expire. If my card would be invalid after 2033 I just had to pay a fine and I would have to go to the authority, give them an actual pic and I'll get a new card. The same applies if one will not change one's old pink or grey paper document by 2033. That's what I read in official statements yesterday.

Edit: My mother also changed her grey document to a "plastic card" in 2005. Her name in the old document was still her name of birth which was changed when she married in 1979. That means, her name on the document was wrong for more than 25 years. From 2033, the name is allowed to be outdated for maximum 15 years.
I think a new EU directive entered into force 2-3 years ago. But it only limit the validity of a card, not licence as you have mentioned. I have had my licence since 2005 (EU card) and no validity is mentioned there. My gf has had the one since 2014 and it indeed had a validity.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #32990
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i still have my old-fashioned licence, and i don't intend to change it because new ones are valid 10 years after issuing, while my old one valids till the year 2046
In fact, it is valid until January 19th 2033. (http://www.mup.hr/main.aspx?id=147523)
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #32991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A freight train was blown off a bridge onto Loop 287 in Lufkin, Texas.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #32992
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I'm back. Selectively.

Re driver's licenses, we have to renew ours every few years (four years in Pennsylvania but I imagine that varies by state), but there's no retesting (at least in Pennsylvania). But, Surel, what I was wondering is does a Czech citizen living in the Netherlands have the option of getting a license in either country, or does he or she have to get a Dutch one?

PS: Road_UK sends his regards. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

MichiH liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #32993
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

If you are an EU citizen you can reside in any EU country and use a drivers license issued by any EU country.
(I think as long as it is in the EU unified plastic form, if not you should change to it, whatever EU country).
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #32994
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm back. Selectively.

Re driver's licenses, we have to renew ours every few years (four years in Pennsylvania but I imagine that varies by state), but there's no retesting (at least in Pennsylvania). But, Surel, what I was wondering is does a Czech citizen living in the Netherlands have the option of getting a license in either country, or does he or she have to get a Dutch one?

it depends of citizenship. if that Czech has Dutch citizenship, then he has Dutch licence. if he is still citizen of Czech Republic, then he has Czech one.
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #32995
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
If you are an EU citizen you can reside in any EU country and use a drivers license issued by any EU country.
(I think as long as it is in the EU unified plastic form, if not you should change to it, whatever EU country).
ups, really? then i gave wrong info. it really doesn't have anything with citizenship?
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #32996
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Do EU people change citizenship commonly these days ? My understanding is a Czech living in NL can do anything like a NL citizen and so maybe not really any reason to pursue it. But maybe for EU citizens the process is easier too?
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #32997
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm back. Selectively.

I have that option, I am not sure, whether the Dutch living in CZ have that option, but I guess yes.

Any EU citizen registered in any EU country can apply for the renewal of the license in the country where he's registered. So if you register with the Dutch municipality, you are allowed that. The same holds in the Czech republic for other EU countries citizens. Once they register with the authorities there, they can apply for renewal and thus Czech driving license.

Now what you ask is bit different if I understand it. You want to know whether a EU citizen living in a different country can always go to apply for the renewal in the original home country. I think that in general as long as you stay a citizen of that country, it would have to take care of you, although it might show more complicated in some cases and you would perhaps need to go some non standard ways.

I can for sure get a Czech license if I go to the Czech authorities. I am not sure if any country has some residents only restrictions. I.e. if someone who is a resident in another EU country would not be able to renew his license in his original country because of not having the residence there anymore.

In the Czech republic, there's a concept of permanent residence such that even if you live abroad, you can be still a "permanent resident" of the Czech Republic (and in my case anyway, as I keep my Czech address as well, but aside from that, you can state your address to be a city hall in any case), unless you denounce it, but there's no requirement to denounce it. Maybe for the Dutch it would be different if they leave the Netherlands. As they would be required to de-register from the municipality. I am not sure what the Dutch authorities do when a Dutch person living abroad would come back to the Netherlands applying for the driving license. I don't think they could just walk in any city hall to make a claim, but I think, there must be ways in which they could do it. If anything, at least through an embassy.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #32998
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Do EU people change citizenship commonly these days ? My understanding is a Czech living in NL can do anything like a NL citizen and so maybe not really any reason to pursue it. But maybe for EU citizens the process is easier too?
Changing citizenship, or acquiring a new one, is not like changing your socks, so no, its not really a common thing to do. It is not easy, there can be drawbacks, special conditions, every country having different rules, etc etc...

In theory, the EU citizenship grants you a non discrimination compared to the citizens of the country in which you reside. In reality you might face problems now and there, but all in all, it works pretty well and there are ways how you can push it through. There are several exceptions especially in the social security area, and then there are political rights of course (active and passive right in the national elections), and there might be exceptions for employment positions by the state. (however this again depends on how any country sees it fit).

Yes, EU citizens have it mostly easier and with less drawbacks to acquire a different EU citizenship in a different EU country.
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #32999
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Do you vote in the Czech Republic, the Netherlands or both? (Is "both" even an option?)

I'm guessing it still takes some time and effort, maybe years of residence, for an EU citizen who intends to stay permanently in another EU country to actually establish citizenship? A U.S. citizen is automatically a citizen of the state he lives in (per one of the "[post-] Civil War Amendments" to the Constitution); when I moved to Pennsylvania a month before an election, I was able to vote. I think the Pennsylvania rule on establishing residency for voting purposes is four weeks. And really, the term "citizenship" doesn't come up at the state level, but that's the language the Constitution uses; the point is that a state can't make people moving in from out of state wait too long before they're treated the same as people born there. The term "residency" is more usual.

But a student attending a university away from home, for example, has the right to maintain his "residency," for purposes such as voting, in his home state. (Since I live in a rental apartment, so that if I moved away permanently, it would no longer be "mine" in the way a house I owned would, I've wondered what I'd use as an exact address if I moved out of the country for an extended period. Because the exact address would affect things like who your representative is at Federal, state and local levels.... I'm told that I'd use my last U.S. address even if it's one I no longer have a right to occupy...i.e. my last rental now occupied by someone else.) EDIT 2: But that hypothetical student can't vote BOTH at the university and back home, because that would give him or her two votes in Federal elections.

EDIT: Surel, I started writing all that before your post of 18:53 CET, which I haven't read yet but will read now. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #33000
Surel

Quote:
it depends of citizenship. if that Czech has Dutch citizenship, then he has Dutch licence. if he is still citizen of Czech Republic, then he has Czech one.
Quote:
ups, really? then i gave wrong info. it really doesn't have anything with citizenship?
You get the version of the country that you asked it in. So if you renew it in NL, you get the NL version. If you do it in Germany, you get a German one.

There are conditions which allow you to apply for renewal in that given country. It's not like that you can go on holiday to France and ask a French driving license while you´re at it.

The common EU requirement for a residence is a stay longer than 3 months. After that you sort of automatically get a residence in that given country and thus can ask for renewal, you may be required to register, but that should not be a condition for granting of the residence. That should come automatically.

Penn's Woods, x-type liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways