daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:16 PM   #33041
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
If I would fly the only option would be this one:
Driving to München airport: 2h45m
Check-in, waiting for the flight: 2h
Flying München - Timisoara with Lufthansa: 2h
Driving to Arad: 1h

Total: 7h45m with a cost of over 250 Euro x2 just for the flight tickets (plus fuel to/from airport, plus airport parking charge).

If I drive, it takes me about 7h with usual traffic, and about 110 Euro both ways in fuel costs. Plus that I am flexible, I can go and return whenever I want, and carry what I want in the car. And usually I am going with my wife and 2 other friends, so sharing the car on such a trip is a very cost effective way of getting from Austria to Romania.
To Arad, you can also take any lowcost airline you want to Budapest (much much much cheaper than Lufthansa) and then you take the train at Budapest Keleti to Arad (you do the transfer with bus 200E + underground, it's easy...) and the train takes around 3 hours and half to Arad (maybe more with stronger checking for traveler from/to Romania?). A cheap and great solution!

But yes the more people you will be travelling with, the more interresting it will be to take your own car...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM   #33042
bogdymol
bogdymod

From where I live in Austria (nearby Wels) to Arad, Romania, the fastest and the cheapest alternative is by car. There's no better route.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM   #33043
winnipeg

But for this holiday I used my car to go back home from Arad to France, it's harder and so much more riskier (important risk of accident...) but I can bring all the stuffs I want and I leave whenever I want by choosing the road I want, etc... and I also find it funny (or sad?) that by going with my car alone, I won't pollute more than if I've taken a flight... ;yes:

Last edited by winnipeg; December 22nd, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM   #33044
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
From where I live in Austria (nearby Wels) to Arad, Romania, the fastest and the cheapest alternative is by car. There's no better route.
And by train? There is sometimes some great offers from ÖBB and it doesn't take too much time by considering the confort and safety you are getting in comparison with car....

Edit : according to the ÖBB software, with a night train it takes around 9 to 10 hours with train from Wels to Arad with only one connection in Wien. It's very interesting compared to the time you takes with car...
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM   #33045
bogdymol
bogdymod

Until Wels the regional train from my village takes 59 minutes. So it's 10-11 h by train, without flexibility to departure/arrival times.

What's the cost of the train you found? Last time I searched it was around 100 Euro per passenger per direction.
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #33046
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Four bottles of German beer have somehow managed to reach home. I'll be tasting that on Christmas (That's it, tomorrow). Of course there won't be nothing left for you .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #33047
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Merry Christmaaaaas everyone and PF 2016!
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #33048
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Merry Christmas!

God jul!

riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #33049
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Merry Christmas everyone!

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #33050
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Merry Christmas to all! Especially to Chris(Zwolle) .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #33051
bogdymol
bogdymod

Crãciun Fericit!

winnipeg liked this post
Old December 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #33052
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

2015 was the warmest Christmas on record in the Netherlands, at 14 °C. The Netherlands has two days of public holidays; 25 and 26 December (referred to as the 1st and 2nd day of Christmas). Today had the most traffic congestion ever for a 26 December, at 90 km around 2:30 p.m. There were traffic jams towards the beaches. Many people took advantage of the warm weather to go out and about.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #33053
winnipeg

Hopefully there is some serious predictions for the firsts days of january that are talking about a massive comeback to seasonal weather in western Europe and massive cold in eastern Europe (around -16 and -20°C under seasonal temperature in Romania for example...)...

All these very high temperatures might be fun, but having no winter is sickening me... (I like a lot cold)...

Last edited by winnipeg; December 26th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #33054
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Freezing in the Sahara and 16°C in the Arctic? Well, today it was warmer on Mt. Triglav than in Ljubljana.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #33055
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Freezing in the Sahara and 16°C in the Arctic? Well, today it was warmer on Mt. Triglav than in Ljubljana.
Be carreful, the map I posted is not indicating the temperature, it is indicating the temperature abnomaly (the difference between the average temperature measured during last years for the day in question and the predicted temperature).

A better reading is : "normal temperatures/below average in Sahara" and "16°C above average in Arctic" which are still very impressive differences...

It is particulary interesting for some parts of eastern Europe, where whe are likely to go from 8°C above average temperature to -16/-20°C below average temperature, a difference of 24-28°C in only few days, it will hurt a lot... (But hopefully it will bring some winter "joy" like snow )

Verso liked this post

Last edited by winnipeg; December 26th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #33056
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

We have had continuous fog for almost two weeks. I think I've forgotten how the sun looks like. It is very depressive and tiresome.

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #33057
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Oh, two weeks, what is that
Here there can be fog for straight two or even three months, but it is not very dense.

It is much better than in the past as coal burning in houses has practicaly dissapeared. In 70ies and 80ies there was often persisent dense to very dense, fog for months.

winnipeg liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #33058
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Hopefully there is some serious predictions for the firsts days of january that are talking about a massive comeback to seasonal weather in western Europe and massive cold in eastern Europe (around -16 and -20°C under seasonal temperature in Romania for example...)...

All these very high temperatures might be fun, but having no winter is sickening me... (I like a lot cold)...
Hahaha... I was waiting whole December for smth at all... Btw. Already -10 C in Kiev at 10 o clock. But what I am waiting is snow... It never snows at -20 C however you wanted it
Now it is not coal making fog but wood and petrol... Not a nice alternative.

winnipeg liked this post

Last edited by ukraroad; December 29th, 2015 at 12:45 PM.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #33059
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Winter is finally here Photo from today

winnipeg liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #33060
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Sweden?