daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #33061
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Sweden?
no, Zimbabwe.

Sentilj liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #33062
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Oh, two weeks, what is that
Here there can be fog for straight two or even three months, but it is not very dense.

It is much better than in the past as coal burning in houses has practicaly dissapeared. In 70ies and 80ies there was often persisent dense to very dense, fog for months.
The dense is quite dense here. It showed up how drivers can't use fog lights correctly. Coal or wood heating is problem in valleys. I remember last year when we drove on road 18 running through valley with small separated village. It was not fog, it was smog.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #33063
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Bonjour! New here. After looking at the pictures for a while and reading the information I decided to join and be a part of it.

MichiH, Penn's Woods, winnipeg liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #33064
volodaaaa

Welcome...

General Maximus liked this post
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #33065
General Maximus

Thank you, Volodaaa
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #33066
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Bienvenu à toi !

General Maximus liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #33067
General Maximus

Merci, Winnipeg

winnipeg liked this post
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #33068
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

You now need an account to see delays at the TomTom site. They also changed it from Livetraffic to Mydrive.

I guess I won't be using this service anymore. It's also very slow and starts in Westminster, London every time instead of at the last visited location like the previous layout had. It's amazing how these large internet companies always manage to destroy their own services.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #33069
x-type
con los terroristas

TomTom was the best navigation system. was. unfortunately.
i started using it after seeing that Chris used it and I was actually amazed how good system it was comparing to Garmin for instance. but when i bought new phone and installed Android version (the last updated), it went to hell
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #33070
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Hum I don't agree. I tried the Android TomTom app 2 years ago, and yes, it was a total piece of crap (sorry for my bad language), it was so bugged even on one of the most sold smartphone (Galaxy S4 in that time...), and it was comprehensible because with their poor policy to stupidly stay away from Android, they took so much late compared to all other greats apps such Sygic, Copilot or even Here Maps (free!!).

But 2 weeks ago I found an "unlocked" version of the app and I thought that I should give a try....

And yes, they made some enormous progress, and the first thing that I noticed is that the app is very beautifull and smooth, also the interface is very simple (during the past I lost myself too much time in all the menus on others apps such Copilot...).

Also the app is working very very well on my phone, and this time I don't have a so popular phone in Europe (I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, a wonderfull phone for it's price (150€), but for now only available in China), and I was surprised to see that there is no crashes for example...

About the maps. They are EXCELLENT!! First of all they are offline, the app can be used fully offline, as I used it to go from Romania to France 2 weeks ago! But the map is always up to date. For example, few days ago in Romania, they opened a portion of the A1 highway, the Timisoara-Lugoj portion, and it is already showed in the TomTom app, I'm impressed as usualy offline navigation maps takes months to get the maps update, and even more for some of them...

About the navigation, everything is clear, the turns are clear, even by following only the voice instructions, on my way to France (1600km), the app never put me on the wrong way... But unfortunatly when I came back to France I didn't had any sim card with Internet on the road, so I couldn't use live traffic... (but in few days, when I will go back to Romania, I will have one, french sim card @3,99€/month with 3Go of roaming included into every european country and even more!! ). But during the last week, in France I used a bit the app and the live traffic helped me to avoid some congestion, so for now it seems to works!!

Maybe the only bad point I thought with this app comes from the menus, maybe it could be a little more easier to find how you can calculate the time/distance between 2 cities, but not using your GPS position in the moment you use the app as the starting point (from where you leave).... I found that you have to show the map and select a point on it as starting point by letting your finger on it... I would prefer a system like Google Maps where you can simply tell from where you want to leave, and to which destination so you can know how much time it takes...

But anyway, I really like what they've done with the TomTom Android app, and now that I used it for free, I'm ready to pay for it, 15€/year with included live traffic sound like a fair price for me! (For example on Sygic you pay 10€/year for live traffic plus the price for maps (around 30€ for Europe) that aren't as "fresh" as TomTom maps are... ).
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #33071
x-type
con los terroristas

i will give it another try. i had it on my iPhone (older version, didn't want to update it), it was working perfectly, and the best thing was the interface which was perfectly simple. also, it calculated the routes perfectly (for instance, in my firm car i use(d) Garmin and Mio, which often suggested me some idiotic routes (especialy Garmin)).
i must admit that i didn't use new TomTom on Android too much (i have 1+, again something really good from China as your device ), so i must give it a better look.
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #33072
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You now need an account to see delays at the TomTom site. They also changed it from Livetraffic to Mydrive.

I guess I won't be using this service anymore. It's also very slow and starts in Westminster, London every time instead of at the last visited location like the previous layout had. It's amazing how these large internet companies always manage to destroy their own services.
According to the best common practices of the IT industry, the version 2.0 always delivers more bells and whistles and less usability than the version 1.0. Been there, seen that.

Have you managed to define the route start point at Mydrive by using the mouse instead of writing the address in the search box? If yes then please tell us.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #33073
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Like the new, totally unimproved Google Maps.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

MichiH, volodaaaa liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #33074
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
But 2 weeks ago I found an "unlocked" version of the app and I thought that I should give a try....
I installed the renewed Android version 6+ months ago, and I am rather happy. TomTom is the leading brand what comes to the correctness of the routing. The company has laid off people, and seems to suffer from inability to do product development properly. The Android version gets a new release about every 2 months, but the improvements seen this far have been rather minimal and irrelevant compared to the list of requirements. One notable thing is that the navigation needs a lot of power. All the power from my 2.1A charger is used when I use TomTom.

I hope that car makers will have success with Here. Nokia did not put much effort on its development. Its navigation engine lags rather badly behind TomTom.

But one of the lousiest navigator ever seen is fixed into my car's dashboard. Citroën says they buy the maps from Here. But the navigation engine and the user interface are extremely horrible. It fails at many turning restriction spots at least in Helsinki, thus making it about useless. I usually attach my Android tablet on the dashboard and navigate using TomTom instead of the piece of xxxx from Citroën.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #33075
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Like the new, totally unimproved Google Maps.
Thankfully there's still what's close to an old version around.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #33076
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I remember that they charged people upward to € 1000 for installing an in-car GPS system. After that you got horribly outdated maps, a poorly designed interface and extremely expensive map updates.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #33077
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Hum I don't agree. I tried the Android TomTom app 2 years ago, and yes, it was a total piece of crap (sorry for my bad language), it was so bugged even on one of the most sold smartphone (Galaxy S4 in that time...), and it was comprehensible because with their poor policy to stupidly stay away from Android, they took so much late compared to all other greats apps such Sygic, Copilot or even Here Maps (free!!).

And yes, they made some enormous progress, and the first thing that I noticed is that the app is very beautifull and smooth, also the interface is very simple (during the past I lost myself too much time in all the menus on others apps such Copilot...).

Also the app is working very very well on my phone, and this time I don't have a so popular phone in Europe (I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, a wonderfull phone for it's price (150€), but for now only available in China), and I was surprised to see that there is no crashes for example...

About the maps. They are EXCELLENT!! First of all they are offline, the app can be used fully offline, as I used it to go from Romania to France 2 weeks ago! But the map is always up to date. For example, few days ago in Romania, they opened a portion of the A1 highway, the Timisoara-Lugoj portion, and it is already showed in the TomTom app, I'm impressed as usualy offline navigation maps takes months to get the maps update, and even more for some of them...

About the navigation, everything is clear, the turns are clear, even by following only the voice instructions, on my way to France (1600km), the app never put me on the wrong way... But unfortunatly when I came back to France I didn't had any sim card with Internet on the road, so I couldn't use live traffic... (but in few days, when I will go back to Romania, I will have one, french sim card @3,99€/month with 3Go of roaming included into every european country and even more!! ). But during the last week, in France I used a bit the app and the live traffic helped me to avoid some congestion, so for now it seems to works!!

Maybe the only bad point I thought with this app comes from the menus, maybe it could be a little more easier to find how you can calculate the time/distance between 2 cities, but not using your GPS position in the moment you use the app as the starting point (from where you leave).... I found that you have to show the map and select a point on it as starting point by letting your finger on it... I would prefer a system like Google Maps where you can simply tell from where you want to leave, and to which destination so you can know how much time it takes...

But anyway, I really like what they've done with the TomTom Android app, and now that I used it for free, I'm ready to pay for it, 15€/year with included live traffic sound like a fair price for me! (For example on Sygic you pay 10€/year for live traffic plus the price for maps (around 30€ for Europe) that aren't as "fresh" as TomTom maps are... ).
I've purchased Sygic three years ago, installed it into my cell phone and I am fully satisfied. Unfortunately, it has about half an year delay in updating, but it is ok for me considering it costed me 25 €. The navi is not perfect, but can guide you from A point to B point.

Old December 30th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #33078
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I remember that they charged people upward to € 1000 for installing an in-car GPS system. After that you got horribly outdated maps, a poorly designed interface and extremely expensive map updates.
A funny implementation of a similar concept was the early Neverlost device available to the rental cars of Hertz in the US. The more complex interchange you were driving in, the more probably it told: "Recalculating the route, please wait".

I called if Everlost or Nervelost.

volodaaaa, tonttula liked this post
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #33079
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

When I was in Europe in July, GPSs/SatNav, whatever you want to call it, would have added about 20 euros a day to the cost of the rental. Personally, I'm old enough to know how to read real maps. I've never used SatNav here.

(It might have been worthwhile in cities, although the only place I really had trouble was Antwerp.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #33080
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
When I was in Europe in July, GPSs/SatNav, whatever you want to call it, would have added about 20 euros a day to the cost of the rental. Personally, I'm old enough to know how to read real maps. I've never used SatNav here.

(It might have been worthwhile in cities, although the only place I really had trouble was Antwerp.)
Considering the costs of rental company, 20 € / day is a pure rip-off. SatNavs are basically very useful, but you should avoid falling into the phase, when you can't drive without it. You should not rely on it.

It does provide some useful features comparing to paper maps like counting down the overall distance or location of nearest petrol station.

Tags
highways, motorways