daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #33081
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
When I was in Europe in July, GPSs/SatNav, whatever you want to call it, would have added about 20 euros a day to the cost of the rental. Personally, I'm old enough to know how to read real maps. I've never used SatNav here.

(It might have been worthwhile in cities, although the only place I really had trouble was Antwerp.)
A good navigator with good maps and good services delivers much more information than a map only. Often, the information about the estimated time of arrival is useful. I know very well the route to my office. Still, I am regularly using the navigator: not to find the route but to receive real time traffic information.

I do not see maps and navigators as exclusive choices. The map is good for route planning, and the navigator helps to follow the route, and leads back to the route if lost for any reason.

Last edited by MattiG; December 30th, 2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: rgammar
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #33082
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Considering the costs of rental company, 20 € / day is a pure rip-off. SatNavs are basically very useful, but you should avoid falling into the phase, when you can't drive without it. You should not rely on it.

It does provide some useful features comparing to paper maps like counting down the overall distance or location of nearest petrol station.
I don't know if it was actually 20 euros a day; it's six months ago that I was looking at prices. It was certainly in the "extra expense that's not worth the benefit" category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
A good navigator with good maps and good services delivers much more information than a map only. Often, the information about the estimated time of arrival is useful. I know very well the route to my office. Still, I am regularly using the navigator: not to find the route but to receive real time traffic information.

I do not see maps and navigators as exclusive choices. The map is good for route planning, and the navigator helps to follow the route, and leads back to the route if lost for any reason.
Valid point, although traffic information is available on the radio and more and more on variable-message signs, if you understand the language where you are.

What I'd find useful is real-time weather. If you're about to hit heavy rain, for example.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #33083
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Personally, I'm old enough to know how to read real maps.
I too :-)
I use GPS navigation for two reasons:
- Google Maps Navigation knows all the congestions (which are not displayed in printed maps ;-)) and suggests always the quickest route. That's why I often use GPS Navi even when I know the routes perfectly even without map/navigation.
- My smartphone (which I use for navigation) has better memory than I do. I may forget whether I shall turn left or right in some road crossing in the middle of nowhere, it won't. And I don't want to stop in the road shoulder, look in the map and then drive on. I did it a lot of times whan I was younger and I did not have GPS navigation. I hated it :-) (1999, Serbia, total lack of signs, I even checked the stars in order to find the right direction. I suppose young people nowadays had no clue how to find North in the middle of nowhere in the night :-))
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:20 AM   #33084
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
(1999, Serbia, total lack of signs, I even checked the stars in order to find the right direction. I suppose young people nowadays had no clue how to find North in the middle of nowhere in the night :-))
Did you fear to be hit by a NATO bomb?

Kanadzie liked this post
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:10 AM   #33085
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I've never felt the need to use Satnav in Europe though I probably would if I was driving in Japan, which I may have reason to do in a couple of years.

Penn's Woods liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:28 AM   #33086
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

About Japan, why all the most famous offline GPS in all over the world are not available in Japan (I checked and I have seen no Japan maps in TomTom, Here, Copilot, Sygic, etc...)...

(I checked this because I will be in Tokyo for 1 week in february, thanks to an error-fare flight (240€ the flight from Budapest with return on Turkish Airlines ) and even if I don't travel by foot, I like to have at least one offline GPS app on my phone... I think that I will have no other choice than using OSMAnd+, an Android app that use the free OSM maps... )
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:26 AM   #33087
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
thanks to an error-fare flight (240€ the flight from Budapest with return on Turkish Airlines ) ... )

I also found that error-fare for Tokyo, but I did not book it. Instead I booked for Hong Kong and Singapore
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:17 PM   #33088
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I also found that error-fare for Tokyo, but I did not book it. Instead I booked for Hong Kong and Singapore
Very nice!

(And hopefuly for those cities/countries, there is offline maps apps available )
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:22 PM   #33089
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
(And hopefuly for those cities/countries, there is offline maps apps available )
Hopefully there is.

A cool fact: in Hong Kong I have booked a hotel which gives you, included in the room rate, a smartphone with unlimited local calls and unlimited 3G internet access. So basically I will have non-stop internet access while I am there with the hotel's smartphone.

winnipeg, DanielFigFoz liked this post
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:59 PM   #33090
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

For me, the greatest advantage of a GPS app is that it has zoomable maps. That is what had always bothered me when I was a teen following family trips and dealing with printed maps (I had become the family navigator for road trips at age 12). Atlases would have some snippets of areas with too many roads, but if you wanted detailed info about an area, you'd have to buy a "city map", and those were clumsy to open (the other option would be those comprehensive street maps in the format of books, which you had to flip pages back-and-forth as you changed pages.

Now you can fit all maps of, say, the whole of Western Europe in a mere 6GB allocated spaced on a SD card of a smartphone, and zoom to the largest scale with your fingers. If someone told me, when I was 10, that in 15 years I'd have that at cheap prices I'd not have believed it.

In my parents' house there are probably some 150-200 maps/atlases/maplets/street map books that I amassed between ages 8-20. I would often get maps and atlases as birthday presents from some relatives that knew me better.

I also remember when I first discovered satellite free online mapping services. I was blown away by having those (now clumsy) satellite photos, would cringe at some spots with cloud cover, and then get into the habit of waiting 2-3 minutes until a new static screen opened when you manually pressed buttons to move up or down. This was at the dial-up age...

winnipeg liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM   #33091
winnipeg

Quote:
Hopefully there is.

A cool fact: in Hong Kong I have booked a hotel which gives you, included in the room rate, a smartphone with unlimited local calls and unlimited 3G internet access. So basically I will have non-stop internet access while I am there with the hotel's smartphone.
Nice!

In Japan I just saw that I will probably don't need any offline GPS as most of AirBnb host are providing a free 3G/4G wifi hotspot with unlimited data that you can bring with you. This is so nice...!

And the prices for apartments seems to be cheaper than what I tought, for example it will cost me around 300€ for 6 nights for a full equiped apartment close to underground + wifi hotspot, a great price for me!
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:14 PM   #33092
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
For me, the greatest advantage of a GPS app is that it has zoomable maps. That is what had always bothered me when I was a teen following family trips and dealing with printed maps (I had become the family navigator for road trips at age 12). Atlases would have some snippets of areas with too many roads, but if you wanted detailed info about an area, you'd have to buy a "city map", and those were clumsy to open (the other option would be those comprehensive street maps in the format of books, which you had to flip pages back-and-forth as you changed pages.

Now you can fit all maps of, say, the whole of Western Europe in a mere 6GB allocated spaced on a SD card of a smartphone, and zoom to the largest scale with your fingers. If someone told me, when I was 10, that in 15 years I'd have that at cheap prices I'd not have believed it.

In my parents' house there are probably some 150-200 maps/atlases/maplets/street map books that I amassed between ages 8-20. I would often get maps and atlases as birthday presents from some relatives that knew me better.

I also remember when I first discovered satellite free online mapping services. I was blown away by having those (now clumsy) satellite photos, would cringe at some spots with cloud cover, and then get into the habit of waiting 2-3 minutes until a new static screen opened when you manually pressed buttons to move up or down. This was at the dial-up age...
We could say the same about a lot of things on smartphones like for example the phone and SMS function, having to make great photos and videos, to see/show thing without needing a computer/TV, and so much more !!

About GPS apps, exactly! And maybe it helped (in a way) to increase the safety on roads because people are less stressed about directions than without it in a place that you don't know! (At least it is the case for me, I make so many more mistakes and I'm so much stressed without it.... ).

Right, I remember that time too!
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM   #33093
bogdymol
bogdymod

On the other side, as navigation systems are so widely used, people tend to use their brains less and less. That's why you see people driving the wrong way or on a closed road or towards a wrong destination "because the navigation said so".

Attus, ChrisZwolle, Penn's Woods, winnipeg liked this post
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:48 PM   #33094
winnipeg

Quote:
On the other side, as navigation systems are so widely used, people tend to use their brains less and less. That's why you see people driving the wrong way or on a closed road or towards a wrong destination "because the navigation said so".
True! You need to pay attention at your road anyway...

Next years will be funny when our roads will be full of automatic cars!
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:28 PM   #33095
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
True! You need to pay attention at your road anyway...

Next years will be funny when our roads will be full of automatic cars!
Speaking about automatic cars, I think it will be more safer. I know it might be offtopic, but we got a robovac for Christmas and it is fascinating how intelligent and gentle towards furniture it is. It does its job and is careful at the same time. If the automatic cars will work on similar basis, the chance the White paper statements will be fulfilled is really high.

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM   #33096
winnipeg

Yes, a car is not a vaccum cleaner But yes, of course, travelling by car will be so much safetier because the most important death factor on road is of course the human (essentially : alcohol, overspeeding, lack of sleep, etc...)... But hopefully I hope that it will bring some funny error like going in the wrong destination or things like that.. (Life is so much funnier when things are not perfect!! )
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:26 AM   #33097
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Collapse of a road bridge in Brazil due to El Nino floods

Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:33 AM   #33098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

They seem to be happy to be without road access for a year or so...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:17 AM   #33099
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Ouch...

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:38 PM   #33100
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
On the other hand it is brilliant for warnings of any congestion's and the ability to find an alternative route for you to minimize your delays as much as possible.
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways