daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:59 PM   #33101
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Collapse of a road bridge in Brazil due to El Nino floods

This video looks suspicious. It starts when the bridge is still standing (though unconnected on one end, so already unusable) and it suddenly collapses. What are the odds to have someone filming it in the right moment? It looks like more a controlled demolition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They seem to be happy to be without road access for a year or so...
Maybe they didn't have to use this bridge for their travels, who knows. It actually looks like a temporary wooden bridge, rather than a regular road bridge.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:09 PM   #33102
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This video looks suspicious. It starts when the bridge is still standing (though unconnected on one end, so already unusable) and it suddenly collapses. What are the odds to have someone filming it in the right moment? It looks like more a controlled demolition.
The region has been severely affected by floods (200-year floods), and some people gathered to see what could be an imminent collapse, which indeed happen. It is summer down there, and a very low-activity week in Brazil (it is like the week before Ferragosto in Italy) so probably some students dismissed from class or closed business just gathered there.

Location of the bridge
Quote:
Maybe they didn't have to use this bridge for their travels, who knows. It actually looks like a temporary wooden bridge, rather than a regular road bridge.
The bridge had been built 4 years ago with a narrow sub-par configuration, much to aggravation of locals. They are kinda celebrating government will build something new and wider probably.

italystf liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #33103
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Bon....

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35210572

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

winnipeg liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #33104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

They are very common in the Netherlands. There are a couple in my street as well. They are pretty deceiving from behind, they look like an ordinary small car, if you approach one at the speed limit you sometimes don't see it's only driving 45 km/h unless you're very close.

Last year I was driving in France on a country road with a 90 km/h speed limit, through hilly terrain. I saw this car in front of me from some distance, but suddenly beyond the next hill he was very close due to the speed difference.

I can only imagine how bad it must be for such a 'car' to be slammed in from behind at 90 km/h. It will probably become airborne, at twice the speed and two to three times the weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorised_quadricycle

A new trend in the Netherlands was to convert large SUVs into such a 45 km/h car. So you're driving and see a full-size SUV in front of you, only to realize it's only going 45 km/h. Quite dangerous on higher speed roads.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #33105
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Yep, the article is right, our roads are full of those shit*y "cars" that are a nightmare for every driver and an enormous danger.... I already got myself "surprised" many times on road with such "cars" in front of me...

(For me, the real problem behind this is that in France you can loose your driving licence too easily, you only have to do some mistakes like using your phone on wheel or cross a white line or go on a red light and your driving licence is gone, due to our system of point with driving licence, at each infraction you loose them..., and at the end people are driving those dangerous little cars or they drive without driving licence, which doesn't solve any problem! (I'm not saying that doing infractions on road is a good thing. Obviously, no, I'm only saying that sanctions are a bit too severe in my opinion! --I'm not talking about alcohol or drugs, take back the driving licence from people who use those and drive is normal--)).

Also about those little cars, in France we call them "pot de yaourt" (yogurt container) due to the first models that where looking like a yogurt container!

Penn's Woods liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #33106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The northeast of the Netherlands had its first little winter blast of the season, with light snow, but substantial ice accumulation. Ice also accumulated on power lines, resulting in voltage sags because the power lines started to 'dance' in the wind. Apparently this phenomenon is quite rare in the Netherlands. You can see the lights flicker, even though you don't have a real power outage. My PC keeps running as usual despite the lights flickering.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #33107
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Decent power supplies are able to 'iron out' small drops (or peaks) in voltage to prevent damage to the components.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #33108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lots of ice in northeastern Netherlands. People are ice skating in the streets.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg, x-type liked this post
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #33109
winnipeg

Some orthopedic surgeons will enjoy that ice too, many broken bones to come...
Old January 5th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #33110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, that's sort of a given in the Netherlands every time you can ice skate, whether in the street or on lakes and canals
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #33111
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Lots of ice in northeastern Netherlands. People are ice skating in the streets.
After one of the warmest December in the last 100 years in Finland, the temperature suddenly dropped on the New Year's day. The forecast shows very cold for the next few days.

piotr71 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #33112
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

ice rain here. we had -5°C during the day, and now temperature has risen to 0°C and it began to rain. of course, it becomes ice when it touches anything because everything is cold because of the low day temperature.
i have just spent 15 minutes to remove ice from my windshield to come home. i have that anti-ice spray in my car, but it is useless with real ice, it helps only with frozen fog.

i am wondering if this really works with thick ice

Old January 6th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #33113
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I can't imagine it would be faster than just scraping with the plastic scraper, if thick ice, with the "ripper" side instead of the blade side... the alcohol has to dissolve the ice via water.
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:10 AM   #33114
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Could that really be called ice? I mean it is maximum 30 sec with scrapper in that situation.

It may help you scrape the windshield on real ice but I doubt it will do the hole job. Glycol/Ethanediol with or without water could also be an helpful method.
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #33115
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
Could that really be called ice? I mean it is maximum 30 sec with scrapper in that situation.

It may help you scrape the windshield on real ice but I doubt it will do the hole job. Glycol/Ethanediol with or without water could also be an helpful method.
30 sec? i spend at 2-3 min to remove thin layer of frozen fog from all glass surfaces on my car, you cannot do anything in 30 sec.
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #33116
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
30 sec? i spend at 2-3 min to remove thin layer of frozen fog from all glass surfaces on my car, you cannot do anything in 30 sec.
I meant only the windshield with frost like in the clip.
But I also start the engine first and put maximum heat on windows before starting to scrape even though cold air at start.
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #33117
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
I meant only the windshield with frost like in the clip.
But I also start the engine first and put maximum heat on windows before starting to scrape even though cold air at start.
Getting rid of frost is usually easy, but freezing rain is just mission impossible. It is like an extra layer of steel.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #33118
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

True.
I cannot imagine to get into a car and drive with such ice layer

(Slovenia two years ago)

winnipeg liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #33119
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

It works also great with thicker ice, but it shouldn't be much thicker than 0,75mm (else you will have to scrape, too). Nevertheless I usually combine this with scraping. So I use the liquid to unfreeze the wipers and mirrors and most of the rest I scrape. (So I don't have to refill/buy a new bottle every week day)

However if it's frozen rain like MattiG mentioned, then just spraying will be way faster.

The advantage of commercial defroster is, that they contain additives which prevent the freezing of the windshield between half and one day. (These mixtures cost between 2€/l and 8€/l here in Northern Germany. You can buy them at drug stores and gas stations)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #33120
winnipeg

But they also have a certain environmental impact?

I personnaly prefer the "old way", with a good old scraper and a brush, works well, even if I have some frozen rain this morning!

Tags
highways, motorways