daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #33121
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

How do you get that kind of ice off a car as shown in Keber's photo? Here in the Netherlands periods below freezing rarely last longer than 10 days, but what if it keeps freezing the entire winter?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #33122
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Of course, no, hopefully in 5 years in Romania, I never saw such amount of freezing on a car, I'm only talking about a realatively thick layer in comparison of this photo...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #33123
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How do you get that kind of ice off a car as shown in Keber's photo? Here in the Netherlands periods below freezing rarely last longer than 10 days, but what if it keeps freezing the entire winter?
Freezing rain conditions are pretty rare at least in Finland.

Winter driving is about preparing for various conditions:

The standard mechanical tool to manage the snow and ice looks this:

It costs a few euros. In addition, the common way is to equip the car with an interior warmer:

They typically work at 1000-1800 watts. The target is to have windscreen cleared after two hours of heating. The heater is coupled to an outdoor fixed power socket. Those are contained in locked boxes, and usually equipped with a timer:

(Typically, the car is equipped with an electric engine heater, too. It makes the cold start easier and keeps the engine healthy.)

As alternatives to the electric heaters, there are fuel heaters. They are more expensive but they are independent of electricity.

I have a 5,2 kilowatt Webasto remote-controlled fuel heater in my car. It takes about 40 minutes to raise the interior temperature about 20 degrees over the outside one. This is enough to get the windows cleared in most conditions. In case of heavy and wet snowfall, a brush is needed. Also in such cases, the heating makes the work easier.

No chemical defrosters are in use.

piotr71 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #33124
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Freezing rain is quite rare anywhere. Frost and snowing won't ever create the same trouble. Warm sunny days and cold nights can create partially similar conditions in the night, but you won't get your car being under ice.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #33125
Surel

EU wide toll, well it could be worse. => Eh... distance based toll? Please no.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/tra...-states-311543

Quote:
European Union Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc called for the introduction of a standardised European-wide road pricing system in comments she made to a German Sunday newspaper.

Bulc said there were many different systems in Europe at the moment and this was a burden on car drivers and an obstacle to their mobility.

"The amount of the fee should, in my opinion, be exclusively based on the number of kilometres actually driven and should not be time-dependent," she was quoted as saying.

"It doesn't matter where you come from - everyone will only pay for the distance they have actually driven and it will be billed on a device throughout Europe. We're currently investigating just such an idea."
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #33126
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Near Los Angeles

Old January 6th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #33127
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
It works also great with thicker ice, but it shouldn't be much thicker than 0,75mm (else you will have to scrape, too). Nevertheless I usually combine this with scraping. So I use the liquid to unfreeze the wipers and mirrors and most of the rest I scrape. (So I don't have to refill/buy a new bottle every week day)

However if it's frozen rain like MattiG mentioned, then just spraying will be way faster.

The advantage of commercial defroster is, that they contain additives which prevent the freezing of the windshield between half and one day. (These mixtures cost between 2€/l and 8€/l here in Northern Germany. You can buy them at drug stores and gas stations)
0,75mm is nothing, i am sure that each industrial defroster like this one can remove it without any problems.
but ice rain doesn't make 0,75mm layer of ice. yesterday i got my whole car covered with 5-8mm thick layer of very solid ice. and that's usually what ice rain does. no defrosters can handle it.
Old January 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #33128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I had about 3 mm of ice on my car today. It got off with a scraper after turning the airconditioning and heat on after a few minutes. But it helped that it was only like -2 degrees.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #33129
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Hm yeah 0,75mm is a little bit underestimated by myself, but more than 5mm seems quiet thick to me. (Or I'm just not used to it, but with such a thickness, couldn't uncareful scraping crack the windshield?)

Thats the thickness I usually find in the morning:
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #33130
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
I had about 3 mm of ice on my car today. It got off with a scraper after turning the airconditioning and heat on after a few minutes. But it helped that it was only like -2 degrees.
The temperatures about +2..-5 are the most problematic ones what comes to freezing. If the air gets colder, it contains less water to freeze. The maximum absolute humidity at 0 degrees is 4.8 grams water vapor in one cubic meter of air. At -20 degrees, it is 1.1 grams only. Thus, there is less water to accumulate at very low temperatures.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #33131
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
Hm yeah 0,75mm is a little bit underestimated by myself, but more than 5mm seems quiet thick to me. (Or I'm just not used to it, but with such a thickness, couldn't uncareful scraping crack the windshield?)

Thats the thickness I usually find in the morning:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...cmpybzxbhn.jpg
that is 0,75, and that is just frost, or frozen dew or fog. we usually find it on our cars in the morning.
but in the case of ice rain it looks like this (light version):

if you haven't experienced it - you don't want it
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #33132
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Ghimbav, Romania

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #33133
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
I meant only the windshield with frost like in the clip.
But I also start the engine first and put maximum heat on windows before starting to scrape even though cold air at start.

Skip that, these ice bought one of those premade bottles in the shop and it took no time together with scraper, brush and car started.

I wonder how they do it on planes?
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #33134
Surel

They spray it with warmed up alcohol chemical mixture.

Festin liked this post
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #33135
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Ghimbav, Romania

Probably the same guy who designed this awesome bike path in Timisoara

winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #33136
Surel

Trapping the blinds. Ostrava, CZ

cinxxx, winnipeg, Suburbanist liked this post
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #33137
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Meanwhile in Pristina
https://www.facebook.com/lajminet/vi...type=2&theater
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #33138
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 355

KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #33139
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

I generally like Garmin satnavs, I never felt comfortable with Tom Toms because of their interface, but I know their traffic service is way better than Garmin's.

I knew there was the possibility to pair up Garmin satnavs and mobile phones via bluetooth and use Garmin mobile traffic service, which is more accurate than standard radio traffic service, but when I tried a couple of years ago I found out it required a (rather expensive) paid subscription, so I never used it.
I tried again a couple of days ago and, much to my surprise, it worked without subscription, and I must say it works pretty well.
Searching the net, it seems that Garmin changed its policy more than 1 year ago.

One of Garmin downsides is now solved. Let's just hope that maps are updated more quickly.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #33140
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I generally like Garmin satnavs, I never felt comfortable with Tom Toms because of their interface, but I know their traffic service is way better than Garmin's.

I knew there was the possibility to pair up Garmin satnavs and mobile phones via bluetooth and use Garmin mobile traffic service, which is more accurate than standard radio traffic service, but when I tried a couple of years ago I found out it required a (rather expensive) paid subscription, so I never used it.
I tried again a couple of days ago and, much to my surprise, it worked without subscription, and I must say it works pretty well.
Searching the net, it seems that Garmin changed its policy more than 1 year ago.

One of Garmin downsides is now solved. Let's just hope that maps are updated more quickly.

Have you ever tried Navigon? I know that Garmin owns Navigon know but from google pics they dont seem to use the same interface.

I used to have a external Navigon satnav with free traffice service abroad back in ~2008 but went over to the Navigon android app when it become available. But I dont have traffic service there since it would require roaming abroad which is not cheap...
But I use it mostly thanks to the POI which is amazing and saved on the phone just as the maps. Can find the next kaufland or restaurant whenever there is a need
Festin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways