daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #33141
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

On my side, I'm still extremely satisfied by the latest TomTom Android app, I traveled back to Romania from France with it last saturday and the traffic service worked very well, it helped me to avoid a big traffic jam due to a car crash and suggested me to exit the highway to avoid it, and it helped a lot as when I took the exist I saw all the cars stopped on the highway further...

Also as this time I've got data in Europe with my mobile phone plan, I've got the traffic service on all Europe, and when I was near Munich, I've got warned that it was snow on the road in front of me, and it was true (hopefuly I've got my winter tires )
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #33142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Wikipedia

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #33143
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

The story is real, it's supported by several international sources.
However, the writing style is not encyclopedic at all.

This story is stunning, if compared to Europe, where many small rail stations and even whole local rail lines had been shut down in the past decades due to poor ridership and high maintenance costs.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #33144
EasySeven

Likes (Received): 139

If it was any other article I would go and fix the style myself. But with this one ... I just can't. It's just too touching.
EasySeven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #33145
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

It has already been fixed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=698976795
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #33146
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

The Japanese are inexplicably... I wouldn't say romantic, let's say "sentimental" about this kind of things... When I was there I remember going to see the statue of Hachiko, the famous dog which went to wait for his master at the station for ten years after the man's death.
The statue is in front of Shibuya station, one of the largest in Tokyo, in a very central position. Such a story would hit the news for 10 seconds in Europe, while in Japan is still heartfelt after 80 years.

g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #33147
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This story is stunning, if compared to Europe, where many small rail stations and even whole local rail lines had been shut down in the past decades due to poor ridership and high maintenance costs.
Because we seems to act more logical since in our countries most of the people who live outside big cities (where smaller lines where closed) own a car...

This story might be comic and touching.... but really? A train for one girl? With the money put on it, they could make other lines better for 100 maybe 1000 persons, I don't know...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #33148
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

It's just one (A44) out of many stations of the Sekihoku Main Line.

I don't know the story but I guess there was no train stop at station A44 except the two stops for the girl........

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

winnipeg liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #33149
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Because we seems to act more logical since in our countries most of the people who live outside big cities (where smaller lines where closed) own a car...

This story might be comic and touching.... but really? A train for one girl? With the money put on it, they could make other lines better for 100 maybe 1000 persons, I don't know...
They should rather provide a free taxi for the girl. She would receive the transportation service and it would be far cheaper.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #33150
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The Japanese are inexplicably... I wouldn't say romantic, let's say "sentimental" about this kind of things... When I was there I remember going to see the statue of Hachiko, the famous dog which went to wait for his master at the station for ten years after the man's death.
The statue is in front of Shibuya station, one of the largest in Tokyo, in a very central position. Such a story would hit the news for 10 seconds in Europe, while in Japan is still heartfelt after 80 years.
If it was in North America or Australia, most European people would say: "OK, they have only 250 years of history, so they need put that kitch stuff just to have something to be noticed."
But in Japan they have an ancient history like in Europe. Maybe they care about these stuff because of their culture, I don't know.

winnipeg liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #33151
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Still if you look at their cities, everything is so modern
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #33152
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
They should rather provide a free taxi for the girl. She would receive the transportation service and it would be far cheaper.
They could have provided free helicopter ride
How much diesel fuel did it cost, 1000 Euro each time?
And they wonder why economic growth is poor...
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #33153
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
They could have provided free helicopter ride
How much diesel fuel did it cost, 1000 Euro each time?
And they wonder why economic growth is poor...
A fresh information. Currently, a train kilometre in Slovakia (1 km passed by single train) costs 11,43 €. This information is global for diesel and electric trains together. I think the diesel ones are more expensive.

Edit: I had a look on map and noticed the track is connecting two cities. Is the train really empty except the school girl or does the whole article goes only for the station?

Edit 2: so the whole article is about the station, not about the track. The track is quite frequent. The article is only about the stopping at the station. Only one pair of trains stops there. They should have made the station on request instead.

Last edited by volodaaaa; January 9th, 2016 at 10:10 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #33154
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
"Every day only two trains stop at the Kami-Shirataki station with a unique timetable depending on when the girl needs to go to school and back."
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/eas...rl-perhaps-not

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #33155
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's just one (A44) out of many stations of the Sekihoku Main Line.

I don't know the story but I guess there was no train stop at station A44 except the two stops for the girl........
So trains are passing that point anyway?

American passenger railroads (such as they are...) have such a thing as a "flag stop." Flag stops show up in timetables with a note that trains only stop if there's someone actually wanting to use them. (If you want to board there, stand in a prominent place; if you want to get off, notify the conductor in advance.)

I'd almost call this a regularly scheduled flag stop.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #33156
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
If it was in North America or Australia, most European people would say: "OK, they have only 250 years of history, so they need put that kitch stuff just to have something to be noticed."
But in Japan they have an ancient history like in Europe. Maybe they care about these stuff because of their culture, I don't know.
Europeans say lots of things.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #33157
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
They should have made the station on request instead.
Here in Italy the "stop on request" thing doesn't exist in rail transit. Rarely-used rail stations simply get closed. I don't know about other countries.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #33158
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Here in Italy the "stop on request" thing doesn't exist in rail transit. Rarely-used rail stations simply get closed. I don't know about other countries.
We have two kinds of stops:
- stations
- stops.

stations usually include more tracks than one and usually are equipped by dispatcher with control panel, so he can designate the train routes in a section controlled by station. The control panel is placed in a special room called "transport office".

stops are just places where local trains stop. The signalling is controlled by transport office in a nearest station. Stops are usually located on a plain track (with no junctions).

The whole rail network is divided into sections. Some are very simple (no junctions) so they don't have to be controlled by transport office. The trains are given way automatically, therefore we called them automatic blocks (sections).

If a station lost its importance, it is usually downgraded to stop. We used to have request stops but now we have stops served by selected trains. I have such stop in my neighbourhood and it is operated solely by local trains... every fourth in particular.

winnipeg liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #33159
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

I have never used a request train stop in the UK but I believe that there are a few.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #33160
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Vučić is the Serbian PM and Nikolić is the Serbian president.

winnipeg liked this post
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways