daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #33221
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Your One of your summer trips?
I'm planning a 2 week trip across Norway.
It would involve a lot of plane hopping, but I also want to rent a car and driving on the Geiranger, Trollstigen and the Atlantic road. I'm also considering doing a drive on the Lofoten peninsula, but renting cars is kind of expensive in Norway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't like it. You can't plan routes for the summer season now.

edit: it seems that it is possible to plan routes across mountain passes with season closure, if you force it to route across.
Doesn't seem to work for me, it only routes up to a point and not after that. Look at my post below.
The only thing I managed to do is to change the departure date for summer and then it worked. But I can't add intermediate stops if I use this option. Bing doesn't seem to "close" roads in winter.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #33222
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Thanks for that!
I was wondering why Maps routes slower, for example here and here
If you're planning to de a road trip into Norway this summer, it's great, I went there 2 years ago, such nice landscapes and nice country, but don't expect to travel fast on these roads, the limitations are very low and the geography don't make possible the building of "fast" roads.... (but I haven't seen any cop on the roads during my 2 weeks of travel on norther Norway, roads are better and it's easierto go faster... ).

Here is an aproximative map of what I've done :

I've visited Oslo (very nice), then I went to Bergen (with a stop in a city that I don't remember), the night after I took an isolated and charming hotel close to Bergen, on Osteroy (an island). Bergen was ok but the rainy weather didn't helped... After this, I went to Flam which was great, but I didn't took the overcrowned train like every tourist done, I took a small charming road that was going near the train and I found some georgeous little waterfalls with no other people arround... Then I went trough Lćrdalstunnelen (the world longest road tunnel in the world, the is 3 "rest area" on it ! and then went to Skjolden for the night and saw probably the most beautifull water on a fjord, the water was turquoise, so nice. And then I went through the mountain with road 55 (the highest road of northern Europe if I remember well.., there was still some snow...) and then traveled to Molde with 2 nights stops, and I've visited some very nice fjords (Geiranger of course and some smaller that were georgous too) and went trough the "trolls road". After Molde I went through the atlantic road, a gorgeous road with spectacular bridges in front of the ocean... and then I went to Trondheim, for me, probably the most beautifull norvegian city, and even if the nice weather at the moment helped a lot to enjoy the city, it's very beautifull ! Then I drive during all the next day to Bodo to take the ferry to the Lofoten islands the next day. On Lofoten islands, the weather was capricious but the landscape was stunning, except the weather, I could believe that I was on a caribean island This was the biggest regret of my trip, I should have stayed at least 2 or 3 days on Lofoten islands, it deserve it!
I avoided the North cap because it was very far (11 hours of road just to reach it) and the landscape on the road was not interesting, at least this is what I read on internet...
Then I went to Stockholm by going throught Sweden. The only really interesting thing was the fact that even in the middle of the summer it's not completly dark during the night The landscape was boring as hell, this is where I regretted Norway In Sweden the most interesting parts are Stockholm, Malmo and the southern coast, especially on the north of Malmo, i found some good looking cities and the weather was hot
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #33223
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't like it. You can't plan routes for the summer season now.

edit: it seems that it is possible to plan routes across mountain passes with season closure, if you force it to route across.
But most times Google Maps is used either during the trip (using your smartphone as GPS units) or few days before (at home, to plan the trip). So, it's better if it doesn't route you through closed roads, considering that some idiots would then require an expensive rescue operation to have their car towed away from the snowy road (it has happened before).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #33224
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

One thing shouldn't rule out the other. I don't like the 'one size fits all' approach many large software and internet companies use. The internet is big, even if only 5% uses a service differently you're still talking about large numbers.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #33225
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Mine has already broken the 100,000 line in both units. In km also the 200,000 line is gone.
I actually crossed 200 000 miles in my car a couple months ago

winnipeg, piotr71 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #33226
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm planning a 2 week trip across Norway.
It would involve a lot of plane hopping, but I also want to rent a car and driving on the Geiranger, Trollstigen and the Atlantic road. I'm also considering doing a drive on the Lofoten peninsula, but renting cars is kind of expensive in Norway.
How nice!

No, you should do it by car, and if you can't aford to rent a car, just do like me, go with your car!! I traveled from France to Norway and go back with my car, it was nice, and probably less stressfull than having to handle a lot of flights, and you can bring all your stuff, and most important, you can bring a lot of food or buy your food in Sweden because, even the basic food is over-overpriced in Norway!!!!

Also bringing some bed sheets and stuff like that will allow you to sleep on some cottages on place where there is no hotels available (and cottages cost way way less than hotels that are also too expensive in Norway ), that's what we've done because of the very few hotels available and the tremendous prices on some places (like 130-150€ for 3 people for example)
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #33227
Kanadzie

just get a car like this

winnipeg, cinxxx liked this post
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #33228
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I though that cars used km in Canada, as metric system is official there.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #33229
Kanadzie

That is right, new cars sold in Canada since 1977 have km speedometer and odometer by law
but I bought that (made in Finland) car in the USA and imported it back privately
My other car (Canadian specification) has metric instruments only

winnipeg liked this post
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #33230
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

That is right, new cars sold in Canada since 1977 have km speedometer and odometer by law
but I bought that (made in Finland) car in the USA and imported it back privately
My other car (Canadian specification) has metric instruments only
The last time this came up, I thought someone said cars sold in Canada showed both systems, with metric more prominent. (Just like cars sold in the U.S. show both systems, "customary" more prominent.) Plenty of Canadians cross the border, so it would actually be useful.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #33231
Kanadzie

Usually the speedometer is set up that way, definitely on American and Japanese cars for sure
European car often just uses km/h only (the same physical part as the EU models) but sometimes the dual scale also.

Some late model GM's had a single-scale speedometer but a button that would change it from km/h to mph. The Canadian one usually counted to 220 and the USA one to 140, so the needle position in the "other" way seemed funny (e.g. pegged-out speedometer just following traffic on the 401...)
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #33232
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
just get a car like this
That's the old American Motors logo, I think...

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #33233
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's the old American Motors logo, I think...
It's the window-shade
But yeah, old Hornet Hatchback, I always liked them
Do any new cars come with "tent" option?

You could have had the same thing from GM too on the Nova and Vega hatchbacks (and surely the other clones of those)
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #33234
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

My car has got broken down. I was skiing in mountains during the past weekend and it was like -15°C when I started the engine today. After 5-10 minutes of drive, an indicator of high engine temperature started to flicker and the thermometer showed it had 110°C. I got scared and since I was driving downhill, I switched to neutral and left the car rolling. The temperature was slowly decreasing and suddenly displayed under 70°C (it can't display lower temperature). The heating was not working and during the whole journey to Bratislava (approx. 150 km) the engine temperature did not reach 70 °C (the optimal is 90 °C). The engine was weak and the car accelerate with 1-2s delay like the engine was cold. It seams there is something wrong with my thermostat.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #33235
Kanadzie

I've seen similar issue when the coolant was too much water and froze
It can boil in the engine but will not flow to radiator because there will be solid ice in the hose.
But after waiting an hour with engine off, the ice melts and then works fine!
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #33236
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 3990

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
My car has got broken down. I was skiing in mountains during the past weekend and it was like -15°C when I started the engine today. After 5-10 minutes of drive, an indicator of high engine temperature started to flicker and the thermometer showed it had 110°C. I got scared and since I was driving downhill, I switched to neutral and left the car rolling. The temperature was slowly decreasing and suddenly displayed under 70°C (it can't display lower temperature). The heating was not working and during the whole journey to Bratislava (approx. 150 km) the engine temperature did not reach 70 °C (the optimal is 90 °C). The engine was weak and the car accelerate with 1-2s delay like the engine was cold. It seams there is something wrong with my thermostat.
Which car do you drive? My car engine oil temperature indicator doesn't show degrees.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:34 AM   #33237
Kanadzie

Mercedes usually has degrees scale
Curiously in Celsius (typically marked 40/80/120) even on American models with miles instruments...
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #33238
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:

wow, is that Saab 900?

Kanadzie liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #33239
Kanadzie

Yep, 900 Turbo convertible

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #33240
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Yep, 900 Turbo convertible
Very nice, I'm sure you've mentioned it before but I had forgotten. What year is it?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways