daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #33241
bogdymol
bogdymod

Snow over the week-end:

Road to work today:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #33242
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Which car do you drive? My car engine oil temperature indicator doesn't show degrees.
Opel Vectra C. Sorry for misinformation, I meant the coolant temperature.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:54 AM   #33243
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Very nice, I'm sure you've mentioned it before but I had forgotten. What year is it?

it looks similar to this one (colours, wheels), except mine needs to be washed, however it is -10 C here and I don't want to flood my garage
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #33244
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Do you have any canadian car maker company?
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #33245
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

There aren't any that are commonly thought of as such in Canada, but technically the Canadian and Ontario governments owned some shares of GM and Chrysler because of the bail-out (in process of selling)

The Toronto region is a major auto-producing area, there are several factories of Toyota, Honda, GM, Chrysler and Ford within 125 km radius, and not far away to the west are more car factories (GM, Ford, Chrysler) in the Windsor, ON area (across river from Detroit). Volvo had a factory in Nova Scotia from the 1960's to late 1990's, that supplied much of the Volvos seen on the road in Canada and the USA of that period. And of course many car components factories.

Of course on top of that there have been and are multiple small carmakers making specialized vehicles (buses notably, or somewhat absurd sports-car schemes like the Manic GT (from Quebec with Renault parts) or the Bricklin (from New-Brunswick with AMC or Ford parts), both of the 1970's.

There was also a weird / pointless government-subsidized factory (Société de Montage Automobile (Soma)) near Montreal that produced Peugeots and Renaults from kits from around 1964 to 1974, very few of those cars still exist

winnipeg, Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #33246
winnipeg

I see, interesting!

That's why it's funny/interesting to know that you drive a swedish car...

Why should it be pointless? Isn't what are making all asian car makers?

Also Peugeot have continued to do this in other places, like in Russia, until 2014, car parts were shipped by a daily train that was leaving from near my french home (Vesoul) to a factory near Moscow making a 3000km travel, it was very interesting and a great idea I think...

Unfortunatly in 2013/2014, there has been a huge drop of new cars sales in Russia so doing this was no more possible as it costed a lot more with the drop of the sales, and other companies have reduced/stopped their production at this time....

But having a car factory in you country isn't the same than having a national car brand I guess even if car factories are huge and have power indeed (like in France, for example Ford won a lot of contracts with the government to provide new cars to cops and Gendarmerie..... while they were puting pressure to close a plant in France if they didn't won the contract... )....
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #33247
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

what do you think of skoda?
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #33248
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
what do you think of skoda?
Are you talking about the brand or about the fact that they are also assembling cars in Kaluga (Russia) like Peugeot have done?

About the brand, it's a great car brand that has a lot of fans, and the value of their cars for the price is good... but I personaly think that it's damagable that they have not so much freedom inside VW AG and their style and shape are a bit too modeled on VW cars...
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #33249
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Are you talking about the brand or about the fact that they are also assembling cars in Kaluga (Russia) like Peugeot have done?

About the brand, it's a great car brand that has a lot of fans, and the value of their cars for the price is good... but I personaly think that it's damagable that they have not so much freedom inside VW AG and their style and shape are a bit too modeled on VW cars...
My previous car a Skoda Yeti, and I drove it 100+ thousand kilometers. I don't care a penny whether the VW brand is visible in details or not. I feel I got a good value for the price. The basic reason to buy something different was the lack of room: The luggage store is barely large enough for two persons' weekend bags. There were many reasons why this was not enough.

It is often said that the cars designed in the Central Europe do not survive well in the arctic winter conditions of the Nordic countries. I had no winter-specific problems with Yeti.

winnipeg liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #33250
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Well, nowadays there isn't really much of a difference between Volkswagen and Škoda. The former has more options available and costs a bit more but since cars of comparable class (Škoda Superb and VW Passat, for example) are built on the same platform with mostly the same engines and gearboxes, they're more or less the same car underneath.

In 2015 Škoda Octavia was the 2nd best selling car in Estonia and Škoda Fabia the 6th best selling car so they are rather popular in Estonia.

winnipeg liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #33251
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

I've researched Volkswagen every time I bought another car, but I always found them too expensive for what you get, compared to competitors. I'm going to pick up my new Hyundai i10 tomorrow. It is € 2000 cheaper than a similarly equipped Volkswagen Up! but has 5 years warranty instead of only 2 years. And it is considered the best car in its class by both the Dutch and British motoring press.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #33252
Suburbanist
on the road

Are you buying it new or used?
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #33253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a 2015 model with 11,000 km. So not entirely new, but warranty until mid-2020. It comes with climate control and cruise control. It's my first car with cruise control, I absolutely loved it during the test drive.

I also got a good trade-in with my 2011 Hyundai i10. The depreciation was only € 500 per year. It's my 5th car.

So far I've owned;

2006: a 1994 Toyota Corolla (totaled in France)
2006: a 1995 Peugeot 306
2008: a 2004 Renault Kangoo (commercial van)
2014: a 2011 Hyundai i10
2016: a 2015 Hyundai i10

So it's the first time I've purchased a car of the same brand. The 2011 i10 was very practical and economical, but noise insulation wasn't too good at highway speed. The new i10 is a definite upgrade in terms of comfort and handling, and it's surprisingly quiet. The motoring press often commented that 'it feels like driving a larger class'. The 5 year warranty is a big draw for me, because there won't be any surprise repairs for the next few years.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #33254
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So far I've owned;

2006: a 1994 Toyota Corolla (totaled in France)
2006: a 1995 Peugeot 306
2008: a 2004 Renault Kangoo (commercial van)
2014: a 2011 Hyundai i10
2016: a 2015 Hyundai i10
Nice.

So each vehicle change you buy a newer one (purchase year - model year). It looks a good deal, low mileage and the previous owner has chewed the "out of lot" depreciation already.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #33255
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Planning to buy a Skoda rapid here. 19.000 euro and fully equiped with everything you can possibly wish. Wich car brand can tip that?

winnipeg liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #33256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Belgian cars are much cheaper than in the Netherlands. Especially with mid-size diesel cars the cost difference can be over € 5000.

There was somewhat of an 'uproar' at the Dutch AutoWeek magazine where they do test rides with an upscale equipped Volkswagen Touran, which is priced at a staggering € 49260. People were upset over the price of nearly € 50000 for a 'van'.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #33257
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Just substitute Kia with Skoda
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #33258
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
In 2015 Škoda Octavia was the 2nd best selling car in Estonia and Škoda Fabia the 6th best selling car so they are rather popular in Estonia.
number 1 brand in Estonia is Honda, right? i think that i read an article about it. how come that Honda is top selling brand there, when it is probably not in top10 in any other European country?

here in HR Honda is expensive as hell due to bad distributor.
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #33259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Honda's market share has tanked since the mid-1990s in the Netherlands. It's currently an abysmal 0.29% of all car sales. The Netherlands has quite a varied market share of new car sales. Volkswagen leads with 12.5%.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #33260
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
number 1 brand in Estonia is Honda, right? i think that i read an article about it. how come that Honda is top selling brand there, when it is probably not in top10 in any other European country?

here in HR Honda is expensive as hell due to bad distributor.
Nope, it's Toyota, at least it was for the first 11 months of 2015 (I don't have data for the entire year. There are some discrepancies between different datasets since some cars are re-exported to Russia etc). In 2nd place was Škoda. Honda is #6.

Edit: The most popular specific car model sold was Nissan Qashqai.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; January 20th, 2016 at 10:09 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways