daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2016, 01:12 PM   #33321
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Dutch green card has almost no crossed boxes anymore. You can take it to Iran or Israel or Tunisia. I doubt if people actually do that, but it is possible. I think only Kosovo is still an issue.
As far as I know, Kosovo isn't included in green card area, therefore there is need to buy "border insurance", anyway. There are some exception for citizens of Serbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i had similar situation at BIH border. but i managed to pay 30€ for 3 day insurance. they already have office at border crossing that issues such things. the funniest thing was that guy in insurance was fullfilling some form (that should have be insurance policy, i guess), everything in cyrillic, and when he had to write model of my car, it was quite complicated because i was driving Mitsubishi in that time so he wrote something like Micuši because original name was too complicated for him
I paid 50 marks for 3 days, which is about 25 euros, in the last year. It all depends of agent. Prices can vary.

Don't Serbs transcript foreign names phonetically? Exactly as their pronounce them?

Last edited by piotr71; January 23rd, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2016, 02:37 PM   #33322
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Don't Serbs transcript foreign names phonetically? Exactly as their pronounce them?
Yes, we do.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:21 PM   #33323
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

I wanted to look too, but I'm also to lazy to go to the car to get the paper.
I know I drove with it to Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia without any problems. I know Kosovo is not included, I think Russia too. Maybe I will take a picture of it later.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:34 PM   #33324
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
About 2-3 years ago my parents wanted to drive to Greece for holidays, through Serbia and Macedonia. We had 2 cars in the family at that time. They wanted to go with the "newer car" (long trip = take the better car ... that was the policy in my family), but they discovered that the Green Card for that car had all possible countries included, but not Macedonia. The other car, insured at the same company, had Macedonia included. After discussing with the insurance company, we found out that, due to making the insurance on different dates, only one of them had the "offer" to include Macedonia. Nevertheless, as we are using the same insurance for many years, they gave my parents a free Green Card valid for Macedonia.

At the border, while entering Macedonia from Serbia, the border police asked for the Green Card. My dad, gave them, on purpose, the old one (with valid date), but where Macedonia was not included . The police officer noticed that and told him that he does not have a valid Green Card for MK, so either he pays (quite a lot) for one to be issued at the border, or he has to turn back. Then my father showed him the second Green Card, and everything was ok.

My car's Green Card is valid everywhere around Europe. The only countries that is not valid in are Ukraine (I guess due to the recent issues there), Iran, Tunisia, Kosovo and maybe also Albania, Russia and Belarus (the paper is in the car... too lazy to go and take a look).

I am lazy too, but I think it include entire Europe (except Kosovo). Will have look on it tonight. The fun fact is that I even use it in Slovakia.

We have two basic forms of car insurance - obligatory (for other drivers if I am the guilty one or for me if I am the one who bear the damage) and the additional (for me if I am the guilty one, otherwise I have to pay the full price for repair). With the obligatory one you are given the "white card". Green card is an extension. You can prove you have contracted the insurance by green card too.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:58 PM   #33325
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

They're usually termed 'liability coverage' and 'full coverage'. In the Netherlands they're talking about 'all-risk' but that term doesn't seem to be used in the English-speaking world for a full coverage insurance. The Dutch tend to make up English terms for things that don't exist or are used differently in the actual English-speaking world.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:58 PM   #33326
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

they do. but he even couldn't do that, but he wrote false name (Mitsubishi, or Мицубиши) was way to complicated for him to write
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:40 PM   #33327
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
They're usually termed 'liability coverage' and 'full coverage'. In the Netherlands they're talking about 'all-risk' but that term doesn't seem to be used in the English-speaking world for a full coverage insurance. The Dutch tend to make up English terms for things that don't exist or are used differently in the actual English-speaking world.
They're called 'third party' and 'comprehensive' in the UK.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:54 PM   #33328
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

The Germans do too. Mobile phone in the UK, cellphone in the US but it's a handy in the German speaking world...
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:08 PM   #33329
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

In French, a facelift is called a "lifting."

No, I haven't and am not planning to.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

winnipeg liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:09 PM   #33330
DanielFigFoz

Or 'parking' in France.

Penn's Woods, winnipeg liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:14 PM   #33331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

How are lanes counted in your country? In some countries, you'll see them referred to as a total of both directions (i.e. six lanes), whereas in other countries people may refer to the number of lanes in one direction (i.e. three lanes). Some countries also use the 'x', for example, 2x2 of 2x3 lanes (like in France).

In addition, most people tend to number lanes from right to left (in a country that drives on the right), while the official lane count may be from left to right. So the first lane may be the leftmost lane, while people at least in the Netherlands would consider that the rightmost lane (even if the official definition in NL would also make it the left / inside lane).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:16 PM   #33332
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Weather-related road item of the day: People stranded on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in the 30-mile (50-km) exit-free stretch between Bedford and Somerset.

Don't know why they didn't just close it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:18 PM   #33333
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania is so:
- standard roads (1 lane per direction): 1 lane road
- standard road with 2 lanes per direction: 2 lanes per direction or 4-lane road
- lane counting: right-most lane is first lane, overtaking lane is second lane. Parking lane (for urban streets) does not count.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #33334
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
How are lanes counted in your country? In some countries, you'll see them referred to as a total of both directions (i.e. six lanes), whereas in other countries people may refer to the number of lanes in one direction (i.e. three lanes). Some countries also use the 'x', for example, 2x2 of 2x3 lanes (like in France).

In addition, most people tend to number lanes from right to left (in a country that drives on the right), while the official lane count may be from left to right. So the first lane may be the leftmost lane, while people at least in the Netherlands would consider that the rightmost lane (even if the official definition in NL would also make it the left / inside lane).
I think in continental Europe it's pretty much the same everywhere. In the UK lanes are actually numbered, and especially in law enforcement they are addressed as lane 1, 2 and 3. The inside lane is the lane you enter on, the outside lane is the outer overtaking lane. A lot of people like to think of it as slow and fast lanes, which of course is wrong. All lanes have the same limits, and all lanes other than lane one (main carriageway) are overtaking lanes only.
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:21 PM   #33335
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

I think most non-roadgeek Americans would call a road with two lanes each direction a four-lane road rather than a two-by-two. And I'd avoid numbering them, or talking about inside and outside lanes. "Left lane" is clear.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:28 PM   #33336
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I am lazy too, but I think it include entire Europe (except Kosovo). Will have look on it tonight. The fun fact is that I even use it in Slovakia.

We have two basic forms of car insurance - obligatory (for other drivers if I am the guilty one or for me if I am the one who bear the damage) and the additional (for me if I am the guilty one, otherwise I have to pay the full price for repair). With the obligatory one you are given the "white card". Green card is an extension. You can prove you have contracted the insurance by green card too.
Are you sure about that coloring? The international Green Card system is to certify that the car is insured by the national compulsory motor insurance. So it represents the minimum level.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:29 PM   #33337
DanielFigFoz

In the UK people call a road with two lanes in each direction a two lane road and so forth. So people would say that most motorways in the UK are three lane roads.

And yes, as our friend from Limoges correctly states, the lanes are normally called slow lane, middle lane and fast lane. In fact I would say that's universal in the UK. I would say that the middle and fast lanes are for overtaking and that the slow lane is for when you're not overtaking, even though that is as he quite rightly points out, wrong. Nevertheless it's what I'd say.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:42 PM   #33338
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I've just checked my green card. It isn't valid in Albania and Morocco. Its validity in Serbia is restricted to areas actually controlled by Serbian government (i.e. no Kosovo) and its validity in Cyprus is restricted to areas actually controlled by the Republic of Cyprus (i.e. no Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus).
I am actually surprised by its invalidity in Albania, since we EU citizen can visit it with ID only and driving from Italy to Greece via Albania won't be uncommon at all (the chance for an Italian car to be in Albania is far much higher than in Iran or Russia or Israel).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:47 PM   #33339
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Generally, Germans are used to mistaken carriageway and lane.

Germans usually call a road with one lane per direction "1-laned". A 2x3 Autobahn is usually called "3-laned". Official documents usually use "6-laned".

It's the first time I heard about lane numbering. Is it really common in other countries? We called them "right" and "left" lane. If it's a 2x3 road, the lane in-between is called "middle lane". If it's 2x4... Maybe "2. von links" (2nd from the left) or "2. von rechts" (2nd from the right) or middle lanes.

2x3 is not common in German, we call it 3+3 (on Autobahn-online.de). Official documents - e.g. press releases about construction sites (Baustelle) - use "4+0-Verkehrsführung" (traffic routing) to indicate that 2 lanes per direction are available on one carriageway while the other carriageway is closed. If one lane remains on the carriageway under construction, it's called "3+1".

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:59 PM   #33340
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah, I'm getting sweaty just looking at that. Anything over 20 is too hot for me
Seriously. I set mine to 72 (22C-ish) when I'm home and out of bed, 68 (20) overnight and when I'm out.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways