daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:03 PM   #33341
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
In Canada right now it is very cold. About -1 *C
What, in all of Canada? Such uniformity over such a wide area. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:05 PM   #33342
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I think it's not so much that it's difficult, because it isn't really these days, but that it doesn't occur to most British people to do. The sea being in the way is more a mental thing I think.
"Fog in Channel: Continent Cut Off" :-)

But can you just hop across on impulse? I imagine it takes some planning (ferry or Chunnel reservations) and isn't cheap... How many Londoners say to themselves on a Friday morning, "I think I'll drive to Amsterdam for the weekend"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:05 PM   #33343
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Yes, the green card in the UK is quite a problem. I tried to get one in the last year, when visiting some Balkan states, with no effect. This year, though, I insured my wife's car with Axa, who willingly, with no extra charge, sent the green card to my home address (paper copy!). However, it's rather useless, as it's not valid in most countries which require such confirmation of insurance. So, there is plenty of crossed boxes on it: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Israel, Macedonia, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey including occupied by them part of Cyprus, and Ukraine. What's left? Err....Montenegro Well, so still worth to have it...
Quite strange...

Here is mine :

All the Balkans are included (except Kosovo, which is damage... ) and even Turkey and Ukraine

The only countries crossed are Ireland (why?) and Russia (I understand better for this one... ) and also northern Chypre
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:11 PM   #33344
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Quite strange...

Here is mine :

All the Balkans are included (except Kosovo, which is damage... ) and even Turkey and Ukraine

The only countries crossed are Ireland (why?) and Russia (I understand better for this one... ) and also northern Chypre
IR is Iran, not Ireland.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:16 PM   #33345
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
IR is Iran, not Ireland.
Oh, my bad!

I see, anyway, not a huge loss, I didn't meant to went there...
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #33346
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
In the UK people call a road with two lanes in each direction a two lane road and so forth. So people would say that most motorways in the UK are three lane roads.

And yes, as our friend from Limoges correctly states, the lanes are normally called slow lane, middle lane and fast lane. In fact I would say that's universal in the UK. I would say that the middle and fast lanes are for overtaking and that the slow lane is for when you're not overtaking, even though that is as he quite rightly points out, wrong. Nevertheless it's what I'd say.
Well, you should be moving faster when you're overtaking (or passing). And on a busy road with a significant number of people passing (and enough people not passing that you might be "passing" for miles to get past them all), the effect is to create a fast lane.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:20 PM   #33347
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I think in continental Europe it's pretty much the same everywhere. In the UK lanes are actually numbered, and especially in law enforcement they are addressed as lane 1, 2 and 3. The inside lane is the lane you enter on, the outside lane is the outer overtaking lane. A lot of people like to think of it as slow and fast lanes, which of course is wrong. All lanes have the same limits, and all lanes other than lane one (main carriageway) are overtaking lanes only.
And I'd take the "inside lane" as being the one closest to the center of the road. Which just shows that the term's unclear.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM   #33348
piotr71

Quote:
In the UK people call a road with two lanes in each direction a two lane road and so forth. So people would say that most motorways in the UK are three lane roads.

And yes, as our friend from Limoges correctly states, the lanes are normally called slow lane, middle lane and fast lane. In fact I would say that's universal in the UK. I would say that the middle and fast lanes are for overtaking and that the slow lane is for when you're not overtaking, even though that is as he quite rightly points out, wrong. Nevertheless it's what I'd say.
Well, in transportation business lanes are more often called: inside or nearside, relatively on two lane per carriageway and 3 lane per carriageway motorway, then middle lane if applied, and outside lane. Inside/nearside lane is the one bordering with hard shoulder. Also, quite often they are counted, starting from nearside edge of the road, as lane 1.

In my country we usually use terms: "prawy pas", "środkowy pas" and "lewy pas" (right l., middle l. and left lane)) Sometimes though, "pas zewnętrzny" (outside lane) "pas wewnętrzny" (inside lane), where, on contrary to the British example, inside lane is closest to the central reservation.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:24 PM   #33349
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How are lanes counted in your country? In some countries, you'll see them referred to as a total of both directions (i.e. six lanes), whereas in other countries people may refer to the number of lanes in one direction (i.e. three lanes). Some countries also use the 'x', for example, 2x2 of 2x3 lanes (like in France).

In addition, most people tend to number lanes from right to left (in a country that drives on the right), while the official lane count may be from left to right. So the first lane may be the leftmost lane, while people at least in the Netherlands would consider that the rightmost lane (even if the official definition in NL would also make it the left / inside lane).
I can confirm!

And it's the same when speaking, we say "deux fois deux voies" (for 2x2) which means "two times two lanes"
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:30 PM   #33350
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i mostly use terms 1+1, 2+2, 3+3 (although it can be wrong in my context because it should mean that there is solid barrier in the middle). in media i mostly see terms 4-lane road for 2+2 road or motorway, or 6 lane road. but, sometimes journalists consider hard shoulder as lane, so 6 lane motorway might be actually normal 2+2.
about lanes - we usually use "driving lane" for outer lanes, and "overtaking lane" for inner. if there are 3 lanes er direction, middle lane is added as, hm, "middle lane"

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by x-type; January 24th, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:30 PM   #33351
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"Fog in Channel: Continent Cut Off" :-)

But can you just hop across on impulse? I imagine it takes some planning (ferry or Chunnel reservations) and isn't cheap... How many Londoners say to themselves on a Friday morning, "I think I'll drive to Amsterdam for the weekend"?
You can try on impulse, and I suspect you'd manage but it isn't guaranteed, so yes it does take some planning. The Chunnel isn't very expensive if you book a return the same day, but the longer you go for the more expensive it is.

I highly suspect your last question is rhetorical, but the answer is none, almost all would go by plane. I'm not sure what proportion of Londoners have been to Amsterdam anyway, a few but not a majority.

I sometimes go from London to Belgium or France for a day trip, but most people wouldn't. Still, as there are a lot of people overall the crossings are fairly busy.

I would use nearside and inside as well, but I'd be more likely to use those words when referring to one side or the other of a vehicle or the actual edges of the carriageway.

Quote:
Well, you should be moving faster when you're overtaking (or passing). And on a busy road with a significant number of people passing (and enough people not passing that you might be "passing" for miles to get past them all), the effect is to create a fast lane.
Which is most of the British motorway network at any given time.

Penn's Woods liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:33 PM   #33352
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How are lanes counted in your country? In some countries, you'll see them referred to as a total of both directions (i.e. six lanes), whereas in other countries people may refer to the number of lanes in one direction (i.e. three lanes). Some countries also use the 'x', for example, 2x2 of 2x3 lanes (like in France).

In addition, most people tend to number lanes from right to left (in a country that drives on the right), while the official lane count may be from left to right. So the first lane may be the leftmost lane, while people at least in the Netherlands would consider that the rightmost lane (even if the official definition in NL would also make it the left / inside lane).
We don't use "x" in such context, "+" is used instead (even in the official documents). The "road with 2+2 alignment is usually referred to as four lane road". If we talk about one direction we usually add "per direction".

With the second issue we use right lane (regular) and left lane (for overtaking). There are only few cases when we have three or more lanes and the middle ones are referred to (what a surprise) middle lane or first middle lane from the left/right.

Xs are used in case of intersection/interchanges: e.g. R1xD1 is an interchange of R1 expresway and D1 motorway.

Btw. have you noticed that "expres(s)way" is not a grammatically correct word? At least according to my Mozzila spellcheck.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #33353
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
You can try on impulse, and I suspect you'd manage but it isn't guaranteed, so yes it does take some planning. The Chunnel isn't very expensive if you book a return the same day, but the longer you go for the more expensive it is.

I highly suspect your last question is rhetorical, but the answer is none, almost all would go by plane. I'm not sure what proportion of Londoners have been to Amsterdam anyway, a few but not a majority.

I sometimes go from London to Belgium or France for a day trip, but most people wouldn't. Still, as there are a lot of people overall the crossings are fairly busy.

I would use nearside and inside as well, but I'd be more likely to use those words when referring to one side or the other of a vehicle or the actual edges of the carriageway.

Which is most of the British motorway network at any given time.
The Amsterdam question wasn't rhetorical, actually. I wouldn't think twice of taking a road trip to, say, Montreal or northern New England on short notice, time and funds permitting. Now, most people probably would prefer to fly, it's true. But if I lived in England, would I be able to take road trips to the Continent like that, was my question. I chose Amsterdam as a destination because it's a bit farther than northern France.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #33354
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Btw. have you noticed that "expres(s)way" is not a grammatically correct word? At least according to my Mozzila spellcheck.
Maybe because it's not used much in the UK? It's certainly correct in North American English....

Does your spellcheck reject American spellings like "tire" or "color"? (Mine would reject "tyre" or "colour.")

EDIT: Expressway does have two "S"es in English, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #33355
volodaaaa

Quote:
Maybe because it's not used much in the UK? It's certainly correct in North American English....

Does your spellcheck reject American spellings like "tire" or "color"? (Mine would reject "tyre" or "colour.")

EDIT: Expressway does have two "S"es in English, though.
I have British one. It accepts some American words (tire, learned, etc.) while some not (traveling, color, labor, airplane). But what is the British alternative of an expressway then?

I found some results of "expresway" via Google though. Perhaps some kind of "lazy" slang.

Old January 24th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #33356
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A German dictionary indicated "expressway" as American version only: http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_en.ht...dShowSingle=on.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #33357
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A German dictionary indicated "expressway" as American version only: http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_en.ht...dShowSingle=on.
Wikipedia says it is limited-access road.

Strange, because previously, we used the term "cesta pre motorové vozidlá" which literally means "road for motorized* vehicles" meeting the "british" meaning. Now (since 2009) we have been using "rýchlostná cesta" which is literally expressway meeting the "american" meaning.

*Just to make it sure:
Motorized is british, while motorised is american or vice-versa, isn't it?. Is it considered a huge mistake?

Old January 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #33358
piotr71

Some parts of A38 in Britain are called "Devon Expressway". You can read about it here.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #33359
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Wikipedia says it is limited-access road.

Strange, because previously, we used the term "cesta pre motorové vozidlá" which literally means "road for motorized* vehicles" meeting the "british" meaning.
I think "limited-access road" and "Road for motorized vehicles" is "Kraftfahrstraße" in German. Roads with "happy car sign":

Colloquially, it's often called "Schnellstraße" ("fast road").

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #33360
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think "limited-access road" and "Road for motorized vehicles" is "Kraftfahrstraße" in German. Roads with "happy car sign":

Colloquially, it's often called "Schnellstraße" ("fast road").
I thought the Austrian "S" on road marking is an abbreviation of "Schnellstrasse", isn't it?

Tags
highways, motorways