daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #33361
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I thought the Austrian "S" on road marking is an abbreviation of "Schnellstrasse", isn't it?
Yes.

Quote:
Das Bundesstraßennetz besteht aus den Bundesstraßen A (Bundesautobahnen, Verzeichnis 1) und den Bundesstraßen S (Bundesschnellstraßen, Verzeichnis 2). source: I. §2
I haven't known that Bundesstraßen have a different meaning in Austria compared to Germany!

Germany:

Bundesfernstraßen (Federal roads):
- A = Bundesautobahn
- B = Bundesstraße

Additional road categories:
- L = Landesstraße (state road)
- S = Staatsstraße, just a different name for Landesstraße in Saxony
- St = Staatsstraße, just a different name for Landesstraße in Bavaria
- K = Kreisstraße (district road)
- Gemeindestraße (municipal road)

Austria:

Bundesstraßen (Federal roads):
- A = Bundesautobahn
- S = Bundesschnellstraße

Additional road categories:
- B = Landesstraße B (state road, formerly federal road)
- L = Landesstraße L (state road)
- Gemeindestraße (municipal road)

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Suburbanist liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #33362
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
I have British one. It accepts some American words (tire, learned, etc.) while some not (traveling, color, labor, airplane). But what is the British alternative of an expressway then?

I found some results of "expresway" via Google though. Perhaps some kind of "lazy" slang.
Colloquially, they seem to always say "dual-carriageway" to mean expressway even though it isn't specifically so...
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #33363
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

I wouldn't say that 'expressway' is wrong in British English, it just isn't used much. The A55 is referred to as the 'North Wales Expressway'.

But yes, dual carriageways that aren't motorways are referred to as being 'dual-carriageways' but no one would say 'the North Wales dual-carriageway' or whatever. Though motorways are dual carriageways, if someone says 'a dual-carriageway' they're probably not talking about a motorway.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #33364
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
I have British one. It accepts some American words (tire, learned, etc.) while some not (traveling, color, labor, airplane). But what is the British alternative of an expressway then?

I found some results of "expresway" via Google though. Perhaps some kind of "lazy" slang.
Well, the meaning of "expressway" is inconsistent from one region to another in the U.S. (An argument I've had a couple of times with certain moderators from the northeast of the Netherlands. ;-)) In the Northeast, the Chicago area and some other places, it's the normal word - not just colloquially but officially* - for what elsewhere would be called a freeway.

Federal Highway Administration terminology says expressway and freeway are different things, and there are parts of the country (Texas for example) where local terminology is consistent with that.

I'm not ignoring Canada; I just can't think of any "Expressway"s there.

The British term is motorway, as far as I know, except that there's an Aston Expressway in Birmingham. Brits can tell us whether that's really a motorway and whether there are other examples.

*Pennsylvania uses "Expressway Ends" and "Freeway Ends" signs indiscriminately, and there are plenty of freeways with Expressway in their official names.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #33365
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I wouldn't say that 'expressway' is wrong in British English, it just isn't used much. The A55 is referred to as the 'North Wales Expressway'.

But yes, dual carriageways that aren't motorways are referred to as being 'dual-carriageways' but no one would say 'the North Wales dual-carriageway' or whatever. Though motorways are dual carriageways, if someone says 'a dual-carriageway' they're probably not talking about a motorway.
And the American (and Canadian?) equivalent of "dual carriageway" would be "divided highway." Even "carriageway" sounds British to me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #33366
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm not ignoring Canada; I just can't think of any "Expressway"s there.
Gardiner Expressway in Toronto and EC Row Expressway in Windsor.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Penn's Woods liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #33367
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I thought of the Gardiner after I posted. Thing is, both of those cities are also served by the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway. Was there a reason both terms were used in the same area?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #33368
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Yes, the Aston Expressway is a motorway, even though it doesn't have a central reservation as such, here's a photo from the Birmingham Mail website:

So there have been three examples of British roads called 'expressway' in this thread, two of whom are not motorways and one that is.

DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #33369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

Calgary calls its freeways 'trails' and Edmonton calls its freeways 'drives'. Another freeway in Canada is the Sherwood Park Freeway in Edmonton (AB 100). Elsewhere in Canada the term 'highway' seems to be the most common.

Only a few Asian countries name their freeways 'freeways', such as Taiwan, Iran and sometimes in India. China called its earliest freeways that, but switched over to expressway before the big construction boom began. Thailand and Pakistan use the term 'motorway', which seems to be uncommon in most of Asia.

Armenia uses the term 'motorway' in its English-language media for roads that aren't motorways as we know them in the UK or Ireland.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #33370
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I think - as far as English-speaking countries are concerned - "freeway" in North America (and Australia and New Zealand?) is the equivalent of "motorway" in the British Isles. Both terms are clear. It's the meaning of "expressway" that's problematic. In substantial portions of the U.S., it's used as the equivalent of "freeway"/"motorway," and used widely enough and officially enough that it can't be dismissed as incorrect. (When I was growing up, I first encountered "freeway" on TV shows set in California...it didn't come naturally to me and I thought of it as "how Californians say 'expressway'"....)

I've taken to avoiding the term "expressway" on forums like this one because of this inconsistency of meaning. Even went through a period of saying "motorway," although I'd guess it's unfamiliar to most non-roadgeek Americans, but I think "freeway" actually works just as well.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #33371
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

New subject: Keyboard layouts.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/01/...a-mess/424833/

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #33372
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Yes, the Aston Expressway is a motorway, even though it doesn't have a central reservation as such, here's a photo from the Birmingham Mail website:

So there have been three examples of British roads called 'expressway' in this thread, two of whom are not motorways and one that is.
That looks so dangerous...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #33373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

It depends on context. In case of China and Malaysia, using the term 'expressway' is pretty clear (a motorway/freeway) whilst in Europe it is more ambiguous. In most of Europe it would mean a four-lane divided highway with controlled-access, however a number of countries deviate from that standard in their local names, such as the autoweg in the Netherlands, motortrafikled in Sweden, motortrafikvej in Denmark, Autostrasse in Switzerland, etc.

In the U.S., the MUTCD standard is different from the actual usage in the northeast and some other regions;

* 71 Expressway—a divided highway with partial control of access.

Expressways in the Northeast, Florida, Chicago, etc, all have full control of access (i.e. freeway standard).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #33374
winnipeg

Quote:
Even if it's a bit true for € and @ (but not for everyone as by using it you don't even pay attention...), but for the others it wouldn't be interesting at all, changing an entire keyboard for a caracter that you only use every 1000 words is simply something stupid to me...

But at least that kind of things keeps our culture ministry busy...
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #33375
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Question: In France, is there any physical difference between "autoroute" and "voie express," or is a "voie express" just a freeway that's not numbered as part of the autoroute class? Either one is essentially a freeway/motorway, right? (And I don't think I've ever seen the term "voie express" used in francophone Belgium. Or Quebec for that matter.)

As for the Aston, how's it numbered? Does that lack of separation between the carriageways disqualify it from being a motorway or Ax(M)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #33376
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Even if it's a bit true for € and @ (but not for everyone as by using it you don't even pay attention...), but for the others it wouldn't be interesting at all, changing an entire keyboard for a caracter that you only use every 1000 words is simply something stupid to me...

But at least that kind of things keeps our culture ministry busy...
I still don't know how to produce a proper "oe" (as in "oeuf" or "oeuvre") unless I'm using my phone. The French Canadian layout - which is basically QWERTY with accents - at least makes it easier to capitalize accented characters (Ç, È, É...*); but I'm more used to the French and French-Belgian layouts when I'm writing in French. (They're both AZERTY, with some differences in where certain punctuation marks and the like can be found.)

When you're in Word or Excel, auto-correct fixes some of these, but not in a web browser like I am right now.

*I just switched my language setting to Canadian French to produce those, but I had to hunt for them. And switched back to English when I was done.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #33377
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Question: In France, is there any physical difference between "autoroute" and "voie express," or is a "voie express" just a freeway that's not numbered as part of the autoroute class? Either one is essentially a freeway/motorway, right? (And I don't think I've ever seen the term "voie express" used in francophone Belgium. Or Quebec for that matter.)

As for the Aston, how's it numbered? Does that lack of separation between the carriageways disqualify it from being a motorway or Ax(M)?
Although if you go back about 50 years, the autoroute Décarie in Montreal was called the "voie rapide Décarie." And I've heard anglophone traffic reports call it the Décarie Expressway. Anglophone Québécois will also say "autoroute," pronounced the way you'd expect it to be pronounced if it were an English word - AW-doe-root.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #33378
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
And the American (and Canadian?) equivalent of "dual carriageway" would be "divided highway." Even "carriageway" sounds British to me.
Speaking of U.S., what is parkway?

Btw. I thought carriageway is a part of road. Namely the shoulders + carriageway = road.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #33379
winnipeg

Quote:

Yes, usualy in France an "autoroute" is a motorway (2x2 or more), most of the time with tolls, and most of the times limited to 130km/h on normal day (110km/h when it is raining and around junctions and cities...) while a "voie express" is a 2x2 highway, but with lower safety equipment and/or a more sinuous path, it is limited at 110km/h and they are usualy free (the state made no motorway concession on it)... at least they are like that in eastern France...

Old January 24th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #33380
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The first parkways were meant for recreational use...to help people get to (or around) parks. They traditionally ran through strips of parkland, with some attention in their design to being scenic.... Now in the New York area, for example, as suburbanization has grown in areas served by parkways, they've become freeways like any other, except that they usually prohibit trucks.

There are a few non-urban parkways in the U.S. that are still intended as recreational roads - no trucks, lower speed limits - and are run by the National Park Service. The Blue Ridge Parkway, for example.

Yes, a "carriageway" is the actual roadway...the part of the right-of-way that vehicles can drive on, as opposed to the shoulder or sidewalk. The closest North American equivalent is probably "roadway."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
highways, motorways