daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #33401
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

What I meant was, in the French-French or Belgian-French keyboard layouts, at least in Microsoft Word, if you type a Á or a Ť (for example) in a position where it ought to be capitalized (such as at the beginning of a sentence), it will automatically capitalize.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #33402
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I know MS Word, in French at least, change a (has) to ŗ (to) where it is necessary to make the sentence logical.

winnipeg liked this post
Kanadzie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #33403
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Will » at least auto-correct? (Had to switch to Canadian French again to do that...)
In Word, possibly (I don't use it very often).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #33404
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
That looks so dangerous...
The speed limit is only 40 or 50mph (don't remember which) and it's a rather short motorway, a couple of miles at most.

The Aston Expressway is the A38(M).

I don't have any trouble writing Portuguese or French accents in capitals or not on a Portuguese keyboard. I have a British keyboard but if I want to write in French or Portuguese I change the keyboard setting to Portuguese, as I know where all the accents are. A Welsh keyboard would be helpful though.

Penn's Woods liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #33405
piotr71

Quote:
Quite strange...

Here is mine :

All the Balkans are included (except Kosovo, which is damage... ) and even Turkey and Ukraine

The only countries crossed are Ireland (why?) and Russia (I understand better for this one... ) and also northern Chypre
My wife's

(link)
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #33406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

My insurance card has no crossed boxes at all:

my clinched highways / travel mapping ē highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #33407
bogdymol
bogdymod

So you can travel with your car from Marrakesh to Vladivostok.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #33408
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

First time I've seen a British green card!

I have a white sheet of paper that states:

To whom it may concern etc.

A)Any member state of the European Union
B ) EFTA (it actually lists the countries) + micro states + Serbia.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; January 25th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #33409
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The lack of » is the worst aspect of the Italian keyboard. Many people replace it with E', but it isn't correct.
when i write italian, i always use e' and E' because i am not patient enough to change HR - I keyboards (after all, i saw Italians using that e' thing, it's not my invention ). of course, when i write some official document, i use proper letters. omitting capital » confused me - i thought that you use E' as official

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
In Romanian we have şţă‚Ó ŞŢìő and they are all very easy to write using Romanian keyboard. I don't really use them though in casual writing, native speakers understand everything without those accents. Also I almost always use the English keyboard, I also bought one for work, had to buy it from Romania, since you almost can't find any in Germany, and those you find are way to expensive. If I need Romanian or German special characters I just switch and I know where to find them on the English layout...
i've noticed that Romanian language is the one that is probably the most often written with english alphabet on the internet
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #33410
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
E and Ť have two different meanings:
e = and
Ť = is

With iPhone it does autocorrect sometimes, but it's terribly annoying: it changes the meaning from "A and B" to "A is B" however, keyboards on phones have easy access to capitalised ».

On the computer, the only way to type » is to copy and paste, or use some weird combination like Alt + 12345 or something like that
Word automatically capitalizes letters after a full stop, so Ť turns automatically into ».
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #33411
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

I don't have a Green card, because it's not needed for travelling to EU countries. We do need it for Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Macedonia, but they aren't on my way. And yes, here you don't get it automatically from your insurance company. We have to pay additionally and it expires when your insurance expires (less than a year)...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #33412
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Word automatically capitalizes letters after a full stop, so Ť turns automatically into ».
LibreOffice does it even if you don't want it, as after eg.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #33413
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
A truck carrying oranges from Murcia, Spain to Riga, Latvia was found last Sunday morning in a forest track near Ezcaray, La Rioja. The weirdest thing is that the place where the truck was found is located 350 km / 217 mi far from the fastest road route between Murcia and Riga (Spanish AP-7 or N-340).

Probably the Ukrainian truck driver got lost because of the extremely confusing Spanish signage and when he tried to use the GPS system, things got even worse
Quote:
Two months later, it has happened again!

Same company, same truck, but this time it's been a Russian (not Ukrainian) driver carrying oranges to Sweden (not Latvia):

https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url
Mystery solved!

This time a group of villagers stopped the truck driver in the village of Ezcaray before he got into the forest track. They saw a white truck with a Russian (?) license plate so they decided to make him stop before things got worse. I can't but laugh trying to imagine the situation: A Russian truck driver in the middle of a mountain village in Spain trying to understand why those people are telling him to stop.

It seems that the transport company reached an agreement with a petrol company in order that they could refuel at a lower price. One of those petrol stations is located in a place called Turza in Poland, but the company GPS devices mistook that place for this other Turza in La Rioja, Spain.

Source: https://translate.google.es/translat...url&authuser=0

MichiH, winnipeg, ChrisZwolle, Surel liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #33414
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
It seems that the transport company reached an agreement with a petrol company in order that they could refuel at a lower price. One of those petrol stations is located in a place called Turza in Poland, but the company GPS devices mistook that place for Turza in La Rioja, Spain[/URL].
Owning a GPS device and unwillingness to use common sense is rather a dangerous combination.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #33415
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

WTF, I wasn't expecting such stoy!!

Those truckers are really stupid, how can you confound Poland with Spain...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #33416
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:

The transport company had uploaded the list of gas stations to use in the navigator? And the poor driver just navigates to the nearest station.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #33417
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My insurance card has no crossed boxes at all:
Nice! I've got one of my cars insured in Poland and the insurer issued green card automatically, with no crossed boxes, as well. But, because it is "youngtimer", I do not drive her much. Actually, have not visited foreign countries since 2008 with her.

Last edited by piotr71; January 25th, 2016 at 10:45 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #33418
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
First time I've seen a British green card!

I have a white sheet of paper that states:

To whom it may concern etc.

A)Any member state of the European Union
B ) EFTA (it actually lists the countries) + micro states + Serbia.
So have I. As far as I am aware, Axa is an only agent in the UK, which bothers in issuing green cards.
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #33419
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Mystery solved!

This time a group of villagers stopped the truck driver in the village of Ezcaray before he got into the forest track. They saw a white truck with a Russian (?) license plate so they decided to make him stop before things got worse. I can't but laugh trying to imagine the situation: A Russian truck driver in the middle of a mountain village in Spain trying to understand why those people are telling him to stop.

It seems that the transport company reached an agreement with a petrol company in order that they could refuel at a lower price. One of those petrol stations is located in a place called Turza in Poland, but the company GPS devices mistook that place for this other Turza in La Rioja, Spain.
I was going to post that! Anyway, I believe the Polish location is Turza Slaska, not far from the Czech border.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #33420
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:

A Turkish truck driver had to deliver something in Gibraltar but ended up in Gibraltar.
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways