daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #33441
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Basically there is not much difference between calling your friend, asking him for a lift and paying him and using uberpop.
I agree with pretty much everything else you said but I don't agree with this.

If that friend was actively searching for people to drive to places then yes, that would be equivalent to using Uberpop but if you call a random friend and ask if he/she could drive you somewhere then that is not.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #33442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Snow was recorded for the first time ever in Kuwait this morning. Northern Saudi Arabia also got some snow:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #33443
bogdymol
bogdymod

Did they have snow tyres?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #33444
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

If that friend was actively searching for people to drive to places then yes, that would be equivalent to using Uberpop but if you call a random friend and ask if he/she could drive you somewhere then that is not.
I find it interesting to compare with other government-restricted trades

for example in prostitution in many countries the police pursue aggressively the purchasers instead of the suppliers

but for Uber it is always the supplier getting pursued instead of purchaser...
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #33445
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

The evolution of the technology makes possible things that would be otherwise impossible.

Imagine calling a friend or co-worker if he knows someone who is riding this or that way.
Imagine placing "share a ride" or "need a ride" on your Facebook wall.
etc.. etc...

What is in fact happening is that the technology makes it possible to connect people that would otherwise not come in contact. Furthermore it does so in a very smart way that filter and fine tunes the demands and supply possibilities in order to create a perfect match in an efficient way. Because of the huge reach the technology provides it creates completely new possibilities of employment. Where you needed friendship or a recommendation from a friend 20 years ago, you can now work with reputation and rankings in order to create the trust factor between the contract parties.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #33446
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I find it interesting to compare with other government-restricted trades

for example in prostitution in many countries the police pursue aggressively the purchasers instead of the suppliers

but for Uber it is always the supplier getting pursued instead of purchaser...
This is exactly the same for drug and gun traffic....

(Don't you think that you are going too far? In what ordering a taxi has something to see to prostitution or like I added gun traffic or drug... )
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #33447
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The evolution of the technology makes possible things that would be otherwise impossible.

Imagine calling a friend or co-worker if he knows someone who is riding this or that way.
Imagine placing "share a ride" or "need a ride" on your Facebook wall.
etc.. etc...

What is in fact happening is that the technology makes it possible to connect people that would otherwise not come in contact. Furthermore it does so in a very smart way that filter and fine tunes the demands and supply possibilities in order to create a perfect match in an efficient way. Because of the huge reach the technology provides it creates completely new possibilities of employment. Where you needed friendship or a recommendation from a friend 20 years ago, you can now work with reputation and rankings in order to create the trust factor between the contract parties.
Organisation is key here. There's a huge difference between a guy posting on Facebook offering a ride and a huge company organising those people, setting the price, handling payments, dealing with customer support etc and taking a 20% cut from every trip.

There are several Facebook groups where people offer rides between different Estonian towns for a cheap price. Those people are making the drive anyway so it's only reasonable for them to share the fuel cost and since public transport goes quite seldomly between some towns and is expensive and slow, it makes sense for people (mostly students) to use it. I'd say that is somewhere in between a friend offering a ride and a full blown service. It's mostly the former since people are not in it for making a profit.

But if there was a company organising those rides, handling payments, settling disputes etc and taking a cut (just like Uber does) it then becomes a transportation service. As we all know, standards and regulations are very high for transport. Drivers have to be qualified, there are licenses, insurance etc.

I'm not against Uber, don't get me wrong. But it's not ride sharing and Uber has to conform to the same or similar standards as taxis and drivers have to pay taxes. BTW, in Estonia Uber is co-operating with Estonian Tax and Customs Board to create an easy way for Uber to send information about rides directly to the Tax and Customs Board so drivers could declare it with a few clicks online. Which is great! But this also means that even Uber agrees that the drivers are offering a service which needs to be taxed accordingly.

Edit: Mind you, this is coming from someone from Estonia where the number of taxis and the price of the ride has always been regulated by the market so there has never been an arbitrary supply limit. Furthermore, we've had the possibility to hail a cab via smartphone for years now and you can also pay via the app nowadays and rate the drivers (similarly to Uber). So there's really not that much of an advantage for using Uber instead of Taxis in Tallinn.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; January 29th, 2016 at 01:30 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #33448
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

In Italy (and I think in many other countries) there is a difference because regular (professional) sale or occasional sale.
The first means that one regularly sells things to make a living. It usually involves puchasing stuff to sell it at a higher price or manufacturing them with the specific purpose to sell them. In this case of course is taxable, otherwise would be tax evasion.
Occasional sale means selling something you already own because you don't need it anymore. It's not a professional activity, but a private agreement between individuals, so it's not taxable.
The problem is that it is very difficult to draw a line between 'regular' and 'occasional' (once a week? once a month?), so it happens that some borderline cases (like non-professionist individuals selling a lot of stuff) are being challenged in court for tax evasion.
This is particularly relevant in the era of e-commerce, as anyone can open an Ebay account and sell anything. If a non-professional individual is noticed selling a lot of stuff on his\her account, that has clearly been purchased before to be sold (such a lot of brand new, never used, similar items), (s)he may be challenged in court. If one seldom sells different things that are clearly second-hand things that (s)he doesn't want aymore, (s)he should be fine.
The same applies for services. If one mowns his neighbour's garden or gives a lift to an acquiatance and asks 20€ for that, it's a private agreement between individuals. If one regularly looks around for people who need a car lift or want to have their lawns mown to charge them, it's a professional activity, that should be taxed and regularized (insurance, retirement contribution, safety/environmental requirements,...).
So, Uber should continue to exist, but as a commercial company, that pays taxes and respects laws regulating the transportation sector.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #33449
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Most countries have defined a tax free income cap. Yearly income under certain amout is simply tax free, everything above that is taxed. That is quite logical solution. It doesn't really matter where the money come from. If you get it from friends or occasional share riding, or whatever.

I certainly agree, that when using a business model like Uber, the tax collection should be looked at more closely. I said it already before that it is quite easy to design the app to already calculate in the tax and put the responsibility for the tax payment on the app provider, thus Uber. People should be also easily be able to get their tax return if their income is not reaching the income cap.

As about the other regulations. Why are those regulations existing? To protect the customers or to protect the cartel? Who is benefiting from them? Does the technology not allow for a better, more efficient, market solution? Yes, lets everyone who is doing more or less the same have to deal with more or less the same regulations. But do the Uber drivers do exactly the same? Are they not offering something that the taxi drivers don't offer perhaps? And why should we bog down the Uber service instead of liberalizing the whole taxi sector? The regulation may bloat the price of the service from 10 to 100 while there are many people who don't value those added benefits that regulation provides at 90, but they are forced to pay them. Why not let them being able to order a service that costs just 10 but doesn't provide those benefits? In such a case the regulation only moves the welfare from the customers to the service providers. Those are legitimate questions. And what about all those that would be able to pay 50 but are not able to pay 100? They are never able to use the service at all then. Those are then welfare losses to the society.

So in practice. Why not e.g. make the time rest requirements being watched electronically for everyone. Everyone with an electronic unit, not unlike the Uber app, that would be collecting and evaluating the information about time, rest, pricing, distance, satisfaction, etc etc...

Are there really needed licenses and topography exams? Do we really need some special safety checks on the vehicles? Why don't we just make the reputation factor work for us. If a chauffeur won't be able to navigate, the clients will put this feedback by him and there won't be any clients ordering the service by that person. If someone wants a special safety checks, just make that information available in the profile and let the market clear that out. Let the app provide the information on the mileage of the car, its safety record etc etc...

Quite often the problems that would need to be regulated are being solved thanks to the technology that makes transparency possible and thus eliminates the information advantage between the supply and the demand. The information also makes it possible for everyone to pay a price that they deem as fair for the service provided.

What the Uber app in such cases actually does, besides that it provides the market depth, is that it cancels that information barrier that prevents chauffeurs from offering rides to complete strangers, or from taking hitch-hikers. Someone who would be willing to take a friend somewhere, won't be probably willing to collect just a stranger that just called. And the same holds for someone who won't be willing to just call a stranger to get a lift. This also allows for segmenting the market and offere different quality for different prices, thus increasing the total welfare. The only welfare loser is the cartel as that welfare goes to the customer.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:22 PM   #33450
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18311

Today's sunrise. From Venice to Munich. To bad the flight was early, before sunrise, and only 45min long. I didn't get to catch the sun above the clouds.

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:24 AM   #33451
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12047

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:32 AM   #33452
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Such stupidity....

Why are they going so fast with such low visibility....
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:13 PM   #33453
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Poor retardation... If the stupidity had bloomed, the whole scene would have been the Garden of Eden.

To contribute to ongoing stupidity topic, two Slovak officers learned a lesson today as they pulled over a car on urban motorway in joint turning and merging lane. A lorry crushed into them in short time. Result: two policemen were severely injured.

I don't know about your country, but police in Slovakia has always had a problem with pulling over cars. They always insist to stop them at places where it is by no means safety.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:21 PM   #33454
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

I'm always surprised when I see people getting pulled over on the shoulder of American freeways. This is very high on the list of things not to do for the Dutch police.

Though being pulled over seems to be a North American thing. It's not as common in Europe, especially not for speeding (there are automatic speed cameras everywhere). I've been pulled over on the German Autobahn but they led me to a rest area and searched my car for drugs (and of course did not find any).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:31 PM   #33455
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm always surprised when I see people getting pulled over on the shoulder of American freeways. This is very high on the list of things not to do for the Dutch police.

Though being pulled over seems to be a North American thing. It's not as common in Europe, especially not for speeding (there are automatic speed cameras everywhere). I've been pulled over on the German Autobahn but they led me to a rest area and searched my car for drugs (and of course did not find any).
Slovak police like pulling cars over especially at bus lanes, bus stops and turning lanes. According to the witness it happened as such:

"I was driving in a middle lane with lorries in front of me and behind me. The traffic was so dense I was unable to see the situation in front of me in right lane and left lane. But the right lane (merging/turning lane) looked empty, so I move onto it and immediately noticed a stopped police car behind BMW car.

I turned the steering wheel and fortunately make it back onto middle lane, swearing at them, thinking they are completely stupid to stop a car there. Then I noticed the lorry behind me changed lane too. He had no chance to notice them and just ran them over. The lorries are forbidden in that lane though."

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:31 PM   #33456
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

i also too often see people stopped at exit lanes, or at central divders on exit ramps. probably thinking if they should take exit here or not. i cannot understand it, as stopping in hard shoulder isn't dangerous enough
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:59 AM   #33457
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I sometimes see cars pulled over the the police on motorways in the UK, though I don't see police cars on the motorway in the UK very often.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM   #33458
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

In Italy cars (more often trucks) are pulled over on emergency bays in motorways.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:38 PM   #33459
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I've never been actively pulled over from a freeway. I've been spot-checked couple times driving on minor/deserted roads.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:38 PM   #33460
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I've never been pulled over.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways