daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #33501
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Going back to the language issue, how did those sort of stray communities - Czechs in Serbia and so on - get there?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #33502
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Going back to the language issue, how did those sort of stray communities - Czechs in Serbia and so on - get there?
I would simplify it for you: Turks were expanding and the southern parts of (Great) Hungary were occupied. This parts were called Lowerland. Fights were going on there and finally around 18th century the Turks were defeated. However the Lowerland remained unoccupied and devastated, though there was very fertile soil. Some members of nations from later Austria-Hungary decided to start a new life there. Therefore we can see that mix of nations. Later on Lowerland became a part of Vojvodina. Nevertheless, the migration was not overwhelming and since it was back in 300 years ago, some groups have been declining, escalated by yugoslav wars and subsequent poverty (emigration). Slovaks from Vojvodina are actually declining, because kids go to study to Slovakia and stay here after graduation.

The result:

Alex_ZR, Attus, Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #33503
piotr71

Just movement of people within one country, sometimes forced by rulers. For instance, there are still Poles living near Gradiska in Bosnia.

Alex_ZR liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #33504
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Just movement of people within one country, sometimes forced by rulers. For instance, there are still Poles living near Gradiska in Bosnia.
It's the same that happened in the Soviet Union, with Russians being now a sizeable minority in every post-Soviet republic and with strangely-located minorities like Ukrainians in Kazakhstan.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:13 AM   #33505
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

Before WWII there was even a large German community in Vojvodina. They were forced out by the communists and replaced by colonists from Bosnia, Croatia and Montenegro.
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #33506
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
are you sure they are living there for a long time? i know one family of Poles from Gradiška, but they came there in last 15 years, maybe 20 (they are actually from Śląsk area)
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #33507
piotr71

https://pl-pl.facebook.com/Udruženje...3657052653931/

x-type liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #33508
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Poles also settled in today's Ostojićevo in Vojvodina in 1838, but they lost their national identity.

piotr71 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #33509
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Another question, also for Americans: do you know of any rent-a-car company that does not require a credit card?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #33510
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Sorry...it's been a long time since I rented a car on this side of the Atlantic.
But isn't requiring a credit card fairly standard even in Europe?...a way for the rental companies to make sure they're covered if there's an accident or something? I remember I had to use a card for my European rental last summer that had enough "room" on it to cover a certain amount of liability.

You may be able to provide a credit card number when you reserve but not have it actually be charged, then pay cash when you return the car....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #33511
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

In some European countries, such as France I believe that credit cards are inaccessible to lots if not most people. They certainly don't hand them out easily.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #33512
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I had to rent a car in France in 2006 after an accident. It was absolutely impossible to rent one without a credit card, according to the ANWB assistance I had at the time. As I did not have a credit card, the only option was to take a taxi to the train station and then a train back home.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #33513
bogdymol
bogdymod

I rent cars quite often from one of the major car rental companies, but I do not need a credit card as my company has a corporate account. The company I work for makes the booking, then I can pick-up the car with just my driver's licence.

I will hire a car soon for holidays and from what I've seen, all major car rental companies require a credit card, on the name of the driver, with which the car rental shall be paid + a certain amount to be "blocked" on the card until the car is returned. What I found strange is that, I will hire a car from a small, local company, with full-all-risk-insurance (even if the car is stolen or totaled, doesn't matter), with no other extra charges or "guaranties", I still have to pay them with a credit card (they say specifically that cash or debit cards are not accepted).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #33514
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I dare say if I ever get a credit card it'll to be able to rent a car.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #33515
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I dare say if I ever get a credit card it'll to be able to rent a car.
I actually did exactly that
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #33516
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have 2 credit cards issues by my Romanian bank. Taxes are quite low there for credit cards (compared to western standards).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #33517
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Me too. Although it's also convenient to pay tolls.

Many more payment terminals accept V PAY these days. I only used my credit card for tolls on my trips to Spain and France last year. I could pay with debit card everywhere else (shops, gas stations, restaurants, etc.) which wasn't too common earlier (even when I had Maestro). I remember having trouble to pay with Maestro at some gas stations with pay-at-the-pump terminals before.

My credit card doesn't charge interest. It's just debited from my account at the end of the month. The spending limit is quite low, but sufficient for rental cars or tolls.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #33518
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My credit card doesn't charge interest. It's just debited from my account at the end of the month. The spending limit is quite low, but sufficient for rental cars or tolls.
Same for me...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #33519
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I read on an Italian blog that some minor rental companies in Europe do not require credit card. I'm asking because I tried to get one from my bank but they said I can't because I have a temporary job and they give cards only to those with a permanent job. I replied "so you're telling me you basically give credit cards to no one?"

I'll have to find another way to travel in the US, I'm afraid...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #33520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's strict. I got my Mastercard when I was 18 and just working part-time with fluctuating income besides the study. The spending limit at the time was higher than my salary.

What you describe in Italy is more common with mortgages in the Netherlands. They are very strict handing them out to people without a permanent position.

Tags
highways, motorways