daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #33521
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I read on an Italian blog that some minor rental companies in Europe do not require credit card. I'm asking because I tried to get one from my bank but they said I can't because I have a temporary job and they give cards only to those with a permanent job. I replied "so you're telling me you basically give credit cards to no one?"

I'll have to find another way to travel in the US, I'm afraid...
Can you get a prepaid credit card...maybe over here...where you load enough money onto it in advance (assuming you've got it) to satisfy the rental company's liability limit?

My rental in Europe only needed a few hundred euros, or dollars (I forget) available. I actually booked through an American site called AutoEurope that specializes in handling European rentals for Americans. The actual rental was from Hertz in Amsterdam.

EDIT: I just did two minutes' digging. You want to be careful with prepaid cards; they're not subject to the same regulations as "real" credit cards and sometimes charges fees that other people can't get away with.... Why don't you make a few calls to international renters like Hertz and Avis, explain your situation and see how far you get. Presumably, they want your business and will find a way to accommodate you if they can.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 17th, 2016 at 10:45 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #33522
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

do they accept prepaid credit cards?
Because it you read the renting conditions it usually says they are not:

While a debit or prepaid charge card is an acceptable form of rental prepayment online, they may not be accepted for the credit hold required when you pick up your car
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...C-US_en-020931

A friend of mine rented a car in France and had the surprise that his prepaid Mastercard was not accepted. After wasting a lot of time and talking to the manager they accepted a cash deposit of the same amount they would have blocked from the credit card, and he got his cash back after returning the car.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #33523
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

I know prepaids are not accepted, but that's all I got...
I will ask some of the companies Penn's mentioned and see what they can do with me

Thanks
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #33524
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's strict. I got my Mastercard when I was 18 and just working part-time with fluctuating income besides the study. The spending limit at the time was higher than my salary.

What you describe in Italy is more common with mortgages in the Netherlands. They are very strict handing them out to people without a permanent position.
I only got a mortgage from the bank because my girlfriend has a permanent position.
Speaking of which, I share another bank account with her... I'll have to check if they can give a credit card to me with her guarantee.

Man, that's depressing.
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #33525
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
do they accept prepaid credit cards?
Because it you read the renting conditions it usually says they are not:

While a debit or prepaid charge card is an acceptable form of rental prepayment online, they may not be accepted for the credit hold required when you pick up your car
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...C-US_en-020931

A friend of mine rented a car in France and had the surprise that his prepaid Mastercard was not accepted. After wasting a lot of time and talking to the manager they accepted a cash deposit of the same amount they would have blocked from the credit card, and he got his cash back after returning the car.
Now we're into the fine points of English modal verbs but I wouldn't take that "may not" as meaning "won't." They're saying they have the right to not accept it. They may not, but they may. It's up to them.

My memory of my European rental is fuzzy, but if I'd just relied on the terms and conditions.... Well, put it this way: At one point it looked as if I'd have to have a credit card that could pay for the whole value of the car. Which was and is out of the question for me. But after actually calling AutoEurope (which then contacted Hertz in the Netherlands), I was able to proceed with a much more reasonable hold amount (and insurance MasterCard offers to its card-holders had a role in this too....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #33526
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I'm pretty sure I read rental conditions in Europe that specifically stated "debit or prepaid cards are not allowed".
Tried to find something, but I always get them on German, and I'm too lazy to search

Anyway, getting a credit card in Germany was very easy.
They didn't ask about anything. I guess they had all information they needed, since I have steady income for the last 4 years. They gave me, without asking, a credit in value of my monthly salary.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #33527
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
In some European countries, such as France I believe that credit cards are inaccessible to lots if not most people. They certainly don't hand them out easily.
It must be that why I found it so hard to use credit card in Europe... I would reach for card and get... "cash only!"
It's profoundly annoying on a trip since credit card theoretically doesn't have to interchange money (though often, there is a hidden extra tax! read your contract!) so is usually much easier than visiting kantor.

In America they mail you the applications on spec sometimes with your name on it and a fake plastic card inside, just call back and they give it to you
I sometimes get the applications listed for fake names I use for magazine subscriptions (to track who is selling my information) and wonder if I should just apply for the card with that name and never pay back

Are there non-bank related issuers of credit cards in your area? It's pretty common in US/Canada to get credit cards from online and mail/phone contact companies (e.g. MBNA or CapitalOne) instead of at a physical bank, usually the terms are better as well.
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #33528
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Never heard of non-bank issuers in Italy. I am always puzzled when I see people with no money getting credit cards by mail in American movies and TV. I guess that would qualify as "science fiction" here.
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #33529
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Before tough regulations went in place in 2009, in US, college students with no income and just accruing student debt were routinely getting pre-approved credit-cards, stories of students having $ 5000 combined limits not uncommon. There were cards like "here are our terms, we approve your credit, if you want to accept our offer/contract, just use it next 60 days".

Of course these cards were often ripoffs with high fees and sky-high interest rates (40%/year for instance)
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #33530
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have 2 credit cards (Visa and Mastercard), both in my name, but they actually work as a debit card. As long as I have money into the account linked with the card, I can use it. If, for example, I want to rent a car and they ask for a 3000 Euro deposit... I can do that as long as I have 3001 Euro in the account.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #33531
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I have 2 credit cards (Visa and Mastercard), both in my name, but they actually work as a debit card. As long as I have money into the account linked with the card, I can use it. If, for example, I want to rent a car and they ask for a 3000 Euro deposit... I can do that as long as I have 3001 Euro in the account.
They sound like debit cards to me. Credit cards aren't linked to your current account and also have a set credit limit. I have a credit card (I have four in fact) that is for emergencies only and has a credit limit of £20,000. That's why the're called credit cards as they give you credit (money) that you don't nominally have.

I also have a visa debit card which is linked to my current account. As you say if you have £3001.00 in your current account then you can spend £3000 using your card. In Britain I could spend the extra £1 too.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #33532
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Never heard of non-bank issuers in Italy. I am always puzzled when I see people with no money getting credit cards by mail in American movies and TV. I guess that would qualify as "science fiction" here.
When I used to go to high school in Switzerland, I got my first credit card. All I had to do is to copy my ID card, send a signed filled form, and received it after a few days by post. The limit was something around 2'000-3'000 CHF monthly (I don't remember exactly). At the end of each month, I received a detailed transaction count plus a small fee (that was deduced after a certain amount exceeded) - which was a very convenient way to verify my spending, and I paid it just like an ordinary bill at the post office - no related bank account needed.

Last edited by John Maynard; February 18th, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #33533
bogdymol
bogdymod

As far as I knew, Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted as credit cards (even though they may be linked to a bank account - without the "credit" facility), while the others (Maestro, Visa Electron, V-Pay) are only debit cards.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #33534
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
In America they mail you the applications on spec sometimes with your name on it and a fake plastic card inside, just call back and they give it to you

Are there non-bank related issuers of credit cards in your area? It's pretty common in US/Canada to get credit cards from online and mail/phone contact companies (e.g. MBNA or CapitalOne) instead of at a physical bank, usually the terms are better as well.
Yeah I get that a lot in the UK, I am constantly getting letters with the fake cards inside and it's not a proper bank either.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #33535
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I had to rent a car in France in 2006 after an accident. It was absolutely impossible to rent one without a credit card, according to the ANWB assistance I had at the time. As I did not have a credit card, the only option was to take a taxi to the train station and then a train back home.
I hired a car in Albertville after a breakdown using a debit card two months ago. No problemo, and the paid deposit has been returned within a week...

g.spinoza liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #33536
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Before tough regulations went in place in 2009, in US, college students with no income and just accruing student debt were routinely getting pre-approved credit-cards, stories of students having $ 5000 combined limits not uncommon. There were cards like "here are our terms, we approve your credit, if you want to accept our offer/contract, just use it next 60 days".

Of course these cards were often ripoffs with high fees and sky-high interest rates (40%/year for instance)
I had that as a college student... when I went to the bank to get the student loan, they went and offered me the credit card too. Vente complimentaire! I went for it anyway, but interest rate was normal, ~20%.

I'm not sure about EU situation but Canadian credit card interest rates are misleading. The interest is compounded daily, but they quote the interest as "annualized" being the daily interest x365. But because of compounding, it is more.
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #33537
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
What I found strange is that, I will hire a car from a small, local company, with full-all-risk-insurance (even if the car is stolen or totaled, doesn't matter), with no other extra charges or "guaranties", I still have to pay them with a credit card (they say specifically that cash or debit cards are not accepted).
I do not think this is strange at all. The rental company still needs a possibility charge you afterwards (non-full tank at return, parking fines, speeding fines from cameras, automatic road tolls, etc). But they do not want to handle money unless necessary. For credit cards, this late payment is usually possible, but for debit cards the company needs to request for a deposit to be returned later.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #33538
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
As far as I knew, Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted as credit cards (even though they may be linked to a bank account - without the "credit" facility), while the others (Maestro, Visa Electron, V-Pay) are only debit cards.
That's true to an extent. My Debit card is a Visa one and can be used just like a credit card. However I can only spend what's available in my current account.

Another difference is that you don't pay interest on your debit card payments because you can only spend what you have. Its your money to start with. With a credit card you're borrowing money from a third party and are liable for charges on any transactions you make. Which is commonly known as interest.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #33539
bogdymol
bogdymod

That's exactly how my cards work.
Old February 20th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #33540
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

My 12 years old printer just died today... I did my best to make it come alive, but no chance. Then I realised I have had it since times, when there were no cellphones with colour displays and households were full of CRT TVs and monitors. Perhaps it is time to move on.

cinxxx liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways