daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #33541
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
My 12 years old printer just died today... I did my best to make it come alive, but no chance. Then I realised I have had it since times, when there were no cellphones with colour displays and households were full of CRT TVs and monitors. Perhaps it is time to move on.
Come on, now a multi-function printer doesn't cost that much.
But a set of 4 ink cartridges does cost like half of the price of the printer.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #33542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I never had the need for a printer at home. How much do you really need to print these days? If I have to print something I use the printer at work, which I usually need only 1 or 2 times per year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #33543
piotr71

Apart from work/business related prints and scans, I also print googlemaps' directions to the hotels in foreign destination, reservations, camps' locations, points of interest and sometimes basic phrase-books.
Old February 20th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #33544
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Apart from work/business related prints and scans, I also print googlemaps' directions to the hotels in foreign destination, reservations, camps' locations, points of interest and sometimes basic phrase-books.

piotr71, Sentilj, riiga liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:05 PM   #33545
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Come on, now a multi-function printer doesn't cost that much.
But a set of 4 ink cartridges does cost like half of the price of the printer.
I am already enjoying my new printer right now Definitely got over the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I never had the need for a printer at home. How much do you really need to print these days? If I have to print something I use the printer at work, which I usually need only 1 or 2 times per year.
I print a lot. I am so-called "Delegate of flat owners" in out apartment house and I need to print announcements, reports of sessions, etc. Last thing I printed were concert tickets (I am lazy to order them and pick them up somewhere or wait for them to come via post office).

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:39 PM   #33546
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i used to have printer. when i would have to print something, i would realize that ink got dried. so i went to the shop, bought ne cartridge, and printed those few sheets.
after 6 months the sam story because i used it 2-3 times per year. no more printer to me.
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:01 PM   #33547
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

I wanted to buy one too, but it wasn't worth it.
When I need something, I just use the printer at work.

I did buy a scanner though, but it was really cheap.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 02:56 PM   #33548
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

It's reccomended to print a colour paper at least every couple of weeks, even if you don't need it, to prevent ink cartridges to dry.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM   #33549
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Don't think you need to do that for a Laser printer
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:09 PM   #33550
Kanadzie

Yeah just buy cheap laser (well now with LED) printer, no more problem with ink costing more than 200-year old French wine

I wanted to say something about my cheap new laser printer
then I realized I bought it in 2006
Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:25 PM   #33551
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm still mystified as to why most of the world wants to learn this completely bizarre language:

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/02/17/...nciation-poem/

...and full of admiration for how good some people are at it.

(I had a boss once who grew up in Odessa. Came to the U.S. as a teenager. Apart from a bit of an accent, you couldn't tell English wasn't his first language. He had his faults, but that amazed me.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

piotr71 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:08 PM   #33552
volodaaaa

Yesterday I was in theatre, on musical (something like Slovak version of Grease). Despite I am a frequent visitor of cultural events, it was for the first time I have been sitting in the very first row. My fault. It was too inconvenient to look at the faces (as the first row was below the stage and it was causing the pain in my back after a while) so more than faces I remember only the colour of undies But music, at least, was very nice.

Attus liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:11 PM   #33553
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

I hate theatres. I always find myself waiting for one of the players to forget his lines...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:59 PM   #33554
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I only like theaters for music. I don't have anything against theater as a form of art, but it just don't entice me at all (same for poetry readings or stand-up comedy).
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #33555
volodaaaa

Stand-up comedies do not interests me at all. But small theatres and modern adaptation of some plays supplemented with music is ok. I like them.

Old February 24th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #33556
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Does anybody know if there's a thread about road surfaces? I remember having read something about the different kinds of surfaces but I can't remember exactly where, maybe it was some "national" thread.

Anyway, I was wondering which the pros and cons of chipseal are and where it is used. Many roads administrations in Spain (national and regional) have decided not to use it anymore, though my region's uses it a lot, and so do apparently some DOTs in the US.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #33557
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Meanwhile in Romania
https://www.facebook.com/mirceabravo...7579093419026/
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #33558
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Just to go back to the credit card issue : it was (at least under the old government, the stupid bank tax here might have killed this off) normal to be offered credit cards by all sorts of random businesses.

I went to Spain last year, and we needed a credit card to hire a car. I went to the bank, but because my contract at work was expiring in 6 months, they refused to give me one. OK, my wife is self employed, but then they wanted extra documents because of that.

One phone call to my mobile phone operator, and I had a nice card come through the post with exactly what I requested - a credit card with a 100 Euro limit just to cover the cost of the car hire for a couple of days. I also found out that I could take a credit card from IKEA, or plenty of random other businesses.

Went to Spain, went to pick up the car and got asked "how will you pay?". I looked at the guy as if something was wrong with him, and he said "You've taken our super all-inclusive mega insurance package, so you can pay with cash or card. We don't need a deposit or a credit card.". Bah.

Anyway, I got home, and discovered that the credit card had a 14 day cancellation period upon receipt of the card, as long as you paid off the entire bill and cancelled online. Cancelled it immediately and paid nothing for the card in the end.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #33559
Kanadzie

wait, you would have had to pay for credit card? :o

My credit card pays me to have it! (specifically, 1,5 % in cash return of total purchases in a year)
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #33560
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Yes, you have to pay for it. For me it's 20 euros per year.

Tags
highways, motorways