daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #33561
Edward Archer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Come on, now a multi-function printer doesn't cost that much.
But a set of 4 ink cartridges does cost like half of the price of the printer.
Buy cheap and high quality printer ink cartridges from Pictech, Amazon UK market
Edward Archer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #33562
bogdymol
bogdymod

I also pay for mine. I think it is 15 Euro per year plus 0.50 Euro per month.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #33563
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Anyway, I was wondering which the pros and cons of chipseal are and where it is used. Many roads administrations in Spain (national and regional) have decided not to use it anymore, though my region's uses it a lot, and so do apparently some DOTs in the US.
Estonia uses it a lot, mostly on roads with a relatively low AADT. We don't have enough money to repave as many kms of roads as we need so it's the only solution to keep many roads from deterioating further.

The pros and cons are pretty much as Wikipedia says:
The pros are that it's cheap and it postpones the need to change the top asphalt layer of the road. The cons are that it raises the noise level significantly, it's less comfortable to drive on due to the roughness of the chipseal surface and it wears tyres out more quickly.

In Estonia chipseal is also used on gravel roads to make them dust-free. A road like that will look pretty much like an asphalt road although underneath it's still technically a gravel road.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; February 25th, 2016 at 05:11 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #33564
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Those who read Dutch, or even those who don't, may appreciate this:

http://stubru.be/music/returndecembe...rkeerdbegrijpt

The title is "Return, December: Lyrics You Always Misunderstand."

The first example is someone who heard "Return to Sender" as "Return, December."

The rest, you can figure out
("Wat je hoort" = What you hear)
("Wat het wel is" = What it really is)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #33565
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Estonia uses it a lot, mostly on roads with a relatively low AADT. We don't have enough money to repave as many kms of roads as we need so it's the only solution to keep many roads from deterioating further.

The pros and cons are pretty much as Wikipedia says:
The pros are that it's cheap and it postpones the need to change the top asphalt layer of the road. The cons are that it raises the noise level significantly, it's less comfortable to drive on due to the roughness of the chipseal surface and it wears tyres out more quickly.

In Estonia chipseal is also used on gravel roads to make them dust-free. A road like that will look pretty much like an asphalt road although underneath it's still technically a gravel road.
Good to know . Until yesterday I thought France and Spain were the only countries to use it.

In Spain, I think my region is the only one that uses chipseal to pave even new or widened/refurbished roads with low AADT. In the rest of the country chipseal is regarded as an outdated material and engineers seem loath to use it. Most repaves/refurbishments are done with asphalt concrete, even on 4-metre wide rural roads.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #33566
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

The first example is someone who heard "Return to Sender" as "Return, December."

A friend of mine used to have a blog in Italian, collecting misunderstood lyrics from users.
I contributed myself: in Michael Jackson's "beat it" I always heard "showing how f**king strong is your fight" instead of "funky and strong"...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #33567
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A friend of mine used to have a blog in Italian, collecting misunderstood lyrics from users.
I contributed myself: in Michael Jackson's "beat it" I always heard "showing how f**king strong is your fight" instead of "funky and strong"...
I'd always heard "bidet" when I was young. Also in Bee Gee's Stay alive I heard "we can try the one night stand" instead of "we can try to understand"

Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #33568
bogdymol
bogdymod

Old February 25th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #33569
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
Good to know . Until yesterday I thought France and Spain were the only countries to use it.

In Spain, I think my region is the only one that uses chipseal to pave even new or widened/refurbished roads with low AADT. In the rest of the country chipseal is regarded as an outdated material and engineers seem loath to use it. Most repaves/refurbishments are done with asphalt concrete, even on 4-metre wide rural roads.
It is in use in Finland, too. There are two variants: SIP (chipseal on old asphalt) and SOP (chipseal on gravel). SIP is in use on low-AADT roads and streets or when a cheap colored surface is needed. (Note: Paint would not last more than one year due to studded winter tires.)

SOP was earlier a common method to upgrade rural gravel roads. The experiences were rather bad, and the method is only seldom used nowadays. It is almost impossible to repair SOP-surfaced roads. Quite many SOP-paved roads have been converted back to gravel roads.

Highway89, Rebasepoiss liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #33570
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

I will work at another location for 4 months this summer. This means a daily train commute (which the partnered company pays for).
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #33571
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Then the Costa Rica flight goes down and in their final moments everyone thinks "why didn't I choose Turks and Caicos?"

I hate forced entertainment like this... at least in touristic villages you can go outside and not participate... you can't open the door and exit the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I will work at another location for 4 months this summer. This means a daily train commute (which the partnered company pays for).
How long is going to be your commute?
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #33572
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Then the Costa Rica flight goes down and in their final moments everyone thinks "why didn't I choose Turks and Caicos?"

I hate forced entertainment like this... at least in touristic villages you can go outside and not participate... you can't open the door and exit the plane...

Hear, hear!

About 15 years ago, it was trendy in American supermarkets to have TVs on at the checkout lines. Usually tuned to CNN or something. I guess to entertain customers while they waited. God forbid you should be able to hear yourself think in public.

Thankfully, that seems to have gone away.

Back in the days when airlines used to show a movie on a big screen (rather than the personal seat-back "entertainment systems"), so your only choice was getting the headphones and watching it or, not getting them and ignoring it, I used to be the one person on the plane with a window half-open, actually looking out at the country.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #33573
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:

I'll be honest with you. For a free flight to somewhere, I would play too, like they did. It's not that I have something else to do or be somewhere else. All of them had a good time playing and they were rewarded with something. Win-win situation.

Speaking of flying, tomorrow I am flying to Hong Kong. I'll be mostly offline the next 2 weeks.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #33574
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
51 minutes (local stopping train + national train) + walking. I live 400m from the station, the place I'll commute to is just across the boulevard from the other station. Moreover, the transfer station had most of its renovation works completed and now is a rather nice place compared to the previous state.
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #33575
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Here we have something similar, but only with songs written in any language besides Spanish. At times one can heard something as if it was sung in Spanish. We call them 'Momentos teniente', from the saying 'estar teniente', which refers to someone who is a bit deaf (In Argentina they call them 'Canciones locas', i.e. crazy songs). A famous example is in the Paulina Rubio's song 'Boys will be boys', which has a strongly suggestive moment. Others include the Champions League anthem stating the FC Barcelona is going to clinch it, and the FC Barcelona anthem, which appears to say 'Hala Madrid'.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #33576
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I'll be honest with you. For a free flight to somewhere, I would play too, like they did. It's not that I have something else to do or be somewhere else. All of them had a good time playing and they were rewarded with something. Win-win situation.

Speaking of flying, tomorrow I am flying to Hong Kong. I'll be mostly offline the next 2 weeks.
I don't know, I think I just would have said "either destination is fine, just don't bother me". I can't help looking at that video and seeing a bunch of trained monkeys...
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #33577
CNGL
Leudimin

Greetings from a military zone . Don't ask me how I did got it.

BTW, it has started to snow in my hometown! Too bad I'm not there currently .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #33578
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Greetings from a military zone . Don't ask me how I did got it.

BTW, it has started to snow in my hometown! Too bad I'm not there currently .
Don't you live in Zaragoza any longer?

Unrelated note... I had forgotten this is a leap year and scheduled conflicting important-ish meetings on that basis (mixing up Thursday with March 4 :facepalm
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #33579
CNGL
Leudimin

I've never left Huesca, actually, even during the years I attempted to get a degree.

BTW, about this year being a leap one, I'm already tired of correcting Rare Disease Day is on the last day of February, and thus this year is on 29th instead of 28th. And the way to put a facepalm in this forum is :picard: .
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #33580
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I've never left Huesca, actually, even during the years I attempted to get a degree.
This means you gave it up?

Tags
highways, motorways