daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #33581
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

I've been several times to Bergamo but I've never realised the Citta Alta and even the high peaks behind it are visible from the airport (see the original, full version of the current forum banner below).
At first glance I thought it must have been photosopped but I checked it in Google Maps and it seemed to be realistic. But you surely need a great camera and nice weather to shoot such a picture.

Aeroporto di Orio al Serio by M. M. Czarnecki, on Flickr
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #33582
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

High mountains are not that far away from Bergamo. You can sometimes see the Alps from Milan, which is farther.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #33583
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

I remember seeing the Monte Rosa from A26 at Alessandria on a clear day. That's 130 kilometers.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #33584
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Monte Rosa is kind of an outlier, much like Monte Viso: very high, very prominent, very visible from afar.
You can see it sometimes from the hills around Brescia, more than 200 km away.
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #33585
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

There Is a strong correlation between air quality and Alps visibility in Milano during winter.forfor decades it had become rare to see the Alps from the city center, until industrial pollution was heavily tackled from the late 1970s onwards.
Old February 28th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #33586
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

You can sometimes see the Maladeta massif (including the highest mountain in the Pyrinees, the Aneto, 3,404 m asl) approaching Logrońo from the west via LO-20. That's about 260 km. Of course you need a cold, clear winter day so that you get a clear contrast between the blue sky and the white snow-capped mountains and no haziness over the Ebro valley.

Some pictures from a different point, though not far from where I said:
http://meteosojuela.blogspot.com.es/...e-sojuela.html
http://meteosojuela.blogspot.com.es/...nte-de-la.html
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #33587
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

The Alps can be seen from the Pyrenees

http://www.ccma.cat/el-temps/els-alp...ticia/2715386/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, piotr71, Penn's Woods, Isek liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #33588
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I'm sure I posted here before, I took a photograph of African Atlas mountains from Sierra Nevada in Spain. It's 250 km:
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #33589
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Alps can be seen from the Pyrenees

http://www.ccma.cat/el-temps/els-alp...ticia/2715386/
Wow, that is as far as one can see in practice. The theoretical maximum is 673 km, but that would be only possible if we had two Everests. That it is assuming between two points on Earth, because the Sun is much, much farther than that and anyone who isn't blind can see it.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #33590
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...estPicture.jpg

It's a collage picture of the Alps. It's made up by 185 pictures taken from La Guardia, near Bologna, on 30th December 2000, during an exceptional clear sky day.
Some peaks are around 250-300km from the observation point.
Pics were taken through a telescope, though, and that explains their poor resolution, together with the early digital photo technology available back then.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

piotr71 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #33591
bogdymol
bogdymod

The roadside rest area

Greetings from Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of China (does this count that I've been to China?).

I took the bus from the airport to the city, and managed to get a front row seat. Hing Kong has an infrastructure that I've never seen before. Huge bridges, tunnels under the sea, many overpasses. Plus the entire city is built on vertical, which gives bonus points to the view for a construction enthuziast. This place is incredible.

I took some pictures with their roads. I will post them on SSC sometime.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

g.spinoza, piotr71, cinxxx, x-type liked this post

Last edited by bogdymol; February 29th, 2016 at 02:03 AM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #33592
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Wow, that is as far as one can see in practice. The theoretical maximum is 673 km, but that would be only possible if we had two Everests. That it is assuming between two points on Earth, because the Sun is much, much farther than that and anyone who isn't blind can see it.
The farthest thing visible with naked eye is the Andromeda galaxy, 2.5 million light years away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...estPicture.jpg

It's a collage picture of the Alps. It's made up by 185 pictures taken from La Guardia, near Bologna, on 30th December 2000, during an exceptional clear sky day.
Some peaks are around 250-300km from the observation point.
Pics were taken through a telescope, though, and that explains their poor resolution, together with the early digital photo technology available back then.
I did the other way around, I took a picture of the Apennines from the Alps:

And also Monte Rosa, on the same day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Greetings from Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of China (does this count that I've been to China).
Business or pleasure?
Old February 28th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #33593
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Anyone who isn't blind can see the Sun
Anyone who has seen the Sun, is now blind
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #33594
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Business or pleasure?

Pleasure. I wanted to go on holiday somewhere different.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #33595
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

The best visibility is in the winter, when the air is dry and there's inversion = the clouds are low and the air above the clouds is super dry and clear.

The Alps (AU) from Šumava (CZ), around 150 kms.

Dachstein (The Alps, AU) from Šumava (CZ), zoom.

Vysoké Tatry (SK) from Lysá hora in Beskydy (CZ), 120 kms

Vysoké Tatry (SK) from Lysá hora in Beskydy (CZ), 120 kms, zoom 10x

Krkonoše (CZ) from Praděd in Jeseníky (CZ), 130 kms

Krkonoše (CZ) from Praděd in Jeseníky (CZ), 130 kms, zoom

Západné Tatry, Fatra, Nízké Tatry (SK) from Velká Javořina (CZ/SK border), 110 kms
The Alps (AU) from Velká Javořina (CZ/SK border), 180 kms

g.spinoza, cinxxx, Rebasepoiss, Attus liked this post

Last edited by Surel; February 29th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #33596
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Speaking of the Alps, I took this picture from outside the Allianz Arena, Munich in December. The tour guide said they were approx 100km away. They look a lot closer than that to me.

Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #33597
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
I do not believe there is such thing as the theoretical maximum, because the distance is dependent on unpredictable things. If the distance to the horizon is calculated by just applying the Pythagora's formula, the impact of the atmospheric refraction would be omitted. Due to the refraction, one can "see behind the horizon".

The refraction is a function of several factors, such as temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the wavelength of the light. At the horizon, the average refraction is about 35 arc minutes: The apparent altitude of the mathematical horizon is about half a degree, and the apparent horizon lies behind it.

I am giving navigation classes to boaters. The typical approximation presented to the assess the distance to the horizon is 3.85*sqrt(H). The H parameter is the height of the eye from the sea level in meters and the result is kilometers. For Mt Everest (8850 m), the formula gives 362 kilometers. Thus, if we have two pieces of Mt Everests 2*362 = 724 kilometers apart, and the sea in between, the persons at the tops could see each other.

Because the refraction is highly unpredictable at the horizon, these formulas are approximate only.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #33598
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Speaking of the Alps, I took this picture from outside the Allianz Arena, Munich in December. The tour guide said they were approx 100km away. They look a lot closer than that to me.
It's about 60km.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Fatfield liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #33599
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's about 60km.
The mountain peaks on that picture are about 100 km away. 60 km is the distance from the south corner of Munich to the feet of the first smaller mountains.

Fatfield liked this post
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #33600
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Once I was at the top of Zugspitze on a chilly late March day. It was dry, and winds just enough to avoid haze. The observation platform provided impressive views all over the Alps. I didn't have a good camera with high zoom to take pics, though.

Tags
highways, motorways