daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:17 AM   #33661
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,377
Likes (Received): 748




I prefer the old black plates from 1968 and earlier. And also how California doesn't force you to replace them if you don't need to, so you still see cars wearing them


^ you mean the ones with water on them?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...nadian-tourism
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'ętes pas morts de rire !

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM   #33662
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Also in Europe many countries switched from black to white plates, as they are reflective at night. Italy made the change in 1985, and today only Liechtenstein still issues black plates.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:26 AM   #33663
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,807
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Actually, I was sort of joking. Liberty Island, Ellis Island...all islands in New York Harbor on the New Jersey side of the line are in fact enclaves of New York State (and New York City) but it's a sore point with New Jerseyans.
Actually, if Google Maps is right, only a part of Ellis Island is an enclave of NY in NJ:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@40.6985028,-74.0399729,17z
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:47 PM   #33664
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2156

We discussed Uber and the French or Belgian chauffeurs strike in here some time ago. Now Estonia shows how it should be done:


Same clear simple rules for everyone instead of protests protecting the cartel.

Estonia Embraces Uber and Taxify As First European Country To Legalize And Regulate Ride-Sharing
http://www.forbes.com/sites/montymun.../#145fb29b6968
Quote:
The process is well-advanced. Last week a meeting was held at the Estonian Parliament to initiate amendments to the country’s transport act. If approved, the amendment will be the first of a kind in Europe, with ratification of the amendment expected in weeks, rather than months.

The proposed amendments confirmed that private individuals can provide transportation services as long as certain conditions are met. These include provisions that all bookings are done electronically and service clients can estimate their trip price before the trip.

This will be great news to local company Taxify, that since its launch in the summer of 2013 has seen the company become the biggest ride-booking app in Estonia and the surrounding Baltic States of Latvia and Lithuania.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 02:27 PM   #33665
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21254

I think FHWA should issue a single national format for all road vehicle license plates in US (the rear ones, which are also the "official" ones). VIN is already managed on a national database, it would be difficult to standardize license plates all over US (shape, alphanumeric system, security features etc).
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:57 PM   #33666
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,821
Likes (Received): 1823

Google Maps has been absolute rubbish in Estonia lately. There are several interchanges that haven't been drawn, are incomplete or have been drawn completely wrong on the map even 6 months after they've been finished.

I tried fixing some of the spots on Google Map Maker myself but it's so unfathomably complicated and inconvenient to use that I quit after 30 minutes of trying...and I drew maps as a job for a while
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:10 PM   #33667
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,244
Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Google Maps has been absolute rubbish in Estonia lately. There are several interchanges that haven't been drawn, are incomplete or have been drawn completely wrong on the map even 6 months after they've been finished.

I tried fixing some of the spots on Google Map Maker myself but it's so unfathomably complicated and inconvenient to use that I quit after 30 minutes of trying...and I drew maps as a job for a while
I did that too. Somehow I'd managed to make our local government to change the traffic in front of my house from bidirectional to onedirectional. They made the change but I was still witness of many drivers driving in wrong way. Apparently, they were foreigners and non-Bratislava citizens. Since it was still bidirectional street according to google, I decided to edit it as I assumed that most of navis builds on GM. You would be surprised how the things has changed in few weeks. The interface is really not user-friendly, but once you get used to it, you can easily add some new intersections or roads.

The only thing I hate is the strange review system. Once I placed a locality from the park nearby that bears indeed a strange name: "signposts". It is marked even at the educational panes at the entrances. The placement were finally refused by some Spanish freaks who asked for the evidence. I took my bike, took a photo of it (though it is familiar and well spread name in my city) and they refused it anyway.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO


cinxxx liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #33668
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,377
Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think FHWA should issue a single national format for all road vehicle license plates in US (the rear ones, which are also the "official" ones). VIN is already managed on a national database, it would be difficult to standardize license plates all over US (shape, alphanumeric system, security features etc).
They didn't, but essentially its the case already
US plates are more standardized than EU ones, for example, size of plate is always 6x12 inch (except some that are 150x300 mm, but nobody will notice)

standardizing on numeral format would be very hard just because of vast number of cars. California already has too much trouble (see their code combination now) and that only with them
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'ętes pas morts de rire !
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #33669
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Actually, if Google Maps is right, only a part of Ellis Island is an enclave of NY in NJ:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@40.6985028,-74.0399729,17z
Huh! I think that's the original shoreline. I know that there were people involved in the case who argued that if New York got anything, it should only be the area within the original shoreline, but I honestly don't know if that's the argument that won....
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; March 6th, 2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: I meant "argument," said "article".... Hey, I was tired.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #33670
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think FHWA should issue a single national format for all road vehicle license plates in US (the rear ones, which are also the "official" ones). VIN is already managed on a national database, it would be difficult to standardize license plates all over US (shape, alphanumeric system, security features etc).
Um, why?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #33671
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Um, why?
Standardization.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

g.spinoza, riiga liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #33672
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,377
Likes (Received): 748

but that costs a lot of money, and would it bring any desirable result to the country?
Police, etc usually seem to have no issue at all working with the present system.

Except that poor guy who has a vanity plate with code "NO PLATE" and keeps getting parking tickets around the state for cars that had no license plate on them
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'ętes pas morts de rire !

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #33673
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

I've never found "standardization" and "uniformity" to be persuasive arguments for doing anything.

Don't just say "standardization," period, as if that's self-evidently a good thing; explain why it's a good thing. And in fact why it's not just a good thing, but sufficiently better than the current system to justify the cost (in money, time and effort) of changing it.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:33 PM   #33674
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've never found "standardization" and "uniformity" to be persuasive arguments for doing anything.

Don't just say "standardization," period, as if that's self-evidently a good thing; explain why it's a good thing. And in fact why it's not just a good thing, but sufficiently better than the current system to justify the cost (in money, time and effort) of changing it.
Standardization goes back to early 19th century, when engineers soon realized they would face pandemonium if each factory, machine etc. had its own screw sizes, requiring custom-made tools etc. From there, the reasoning expanded to virtual all industrial systems, pushed coalescence around the metric system (I'm not restarting this discussion here, just mentioning), and many "standard boards" for everything from computer data ports to microbiology and marine radar navigation systems. Standardization is also why US has just 6 times zones excluding minor pacific territories, instead of the hundreds of local-set times that existed before. It is also the reason for which computers can "talk" (sic) to each other through the Internet regardless of the provider you use, instead of each Internet provider having its own funky data protocol system.

Objectively, having one national standard for plates would make OCR more precise, would avoid certain database mishaps, and make things like plate-recognition booth-free tolling easier.

As I said, the US fleet designation is already standardized in the VIN scheme. So I'm not proposing something revolutionary. When (it is just a matter of when, not if) some sort of mandatory RFID embedded identifier becomes mandatory on all cars, plates will be moot anyway.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #33675
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Standardization goes back to early 19th century, when engineers soon realized they would face pandemonium if each factory, machine etc. had its own screw sizes, requiring custom-made tools etc. From there, the reasoning expanded to virtual all industrial systems, pushed coalescence around the metric system (I'm not restarting this discussion here, just mentioning), and many "standard boards" for everything from computer data ports to microbiology and marine radar navigation systems. Standardization is also why US has just 6 times zones excluding minor pacific territories, instead of the hundreds of local-set times that existed before. It is also the reason for which computers can "talk" (sic) to each other through the Internet regardless of the provider you use, instead of each Internet provider having its own funky data protocol system.

Objectively, having one national standard for plates would make OCR more precise, would avoid certain database mishaps, and make things like plate-recognition booth-free tolling easier.

As I said, the US fleet designation is already standardized in the VIN scheme. So I'm not proposing something revolutionary. When (it is just a matter of when, not if) some sort of mandatory RFID embedded identifier becomes mandatory on all cars, plates will be moot anyway.
1) Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree with you on every point, but that's a fair explanation of reasons for standardization.

2) What's OCR?

3) Don't some mishaps become more likely? There have been stories in the license-plate threads of people in Sweden getting parking tickets meant for Lithuanians (for example) who were visiting Sweden, because the two had the same number and the two countries' plates look the same (except for the Euroband). Of course, one could avoid that by just not permitting duplicate numbers, but the number of vehicles in North America must be well into nine figures. I'm not sure eight- or nine-character plates are an improvement.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #33676
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
2) What's OCR?
optical character recognition, e.g., what a speed trap that automatically reads a camera, or - for instance - a software that scans an image and extract text - does.


Quote:
3) Don't some mishaps become more likely? There have been stories in the license-plate threads of people in Sweden getting parking tickets meant for Lithuanians (for example) who were visiting Sweden, because the two had the same number and the two countries' plates look the same (except for the Euroband). Of course, one could avoid that by just not permitting duplicate numbers, but the number of vehicles in North America must be well into nine figures. I'm not sure eight- or nine-character plates are an improvement.
8 alphanumeric characters in US would give ~2.8 billion combinatiuons
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #33677
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,522
Likes (Received): 2122

Without standardization there is no point in talking about global warming, for instance. Every Automatic Weather Station in the world should (in principle) measure the same thing, with the same sensors, calibrated in the same way.
Unfortunately, everyone's doing it in his own way, so who knows what "temperature of the Earth" means...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #33678
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Which has what to do with license plates?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #33679
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,821
Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Without standardization there is no point in talking about global warming, for instance. Every Automatic Weather Station in the world should (in principle) measure the same thing, with the same sensors, calibrated in the same way.
Unfortunately, everyone's doing it in his own way, so who knows what "temperature of the Earth" means...
There are still certain requirements (standards) for synoptic weather stations. You don't have to use exactly the same sensors to have comparable data, that has nothing to do with standardization.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #33680
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,807
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
8 alphanumeric characters in US would give ~2.8 billion combinatiuons
Trillions in American English.

Such schemes still are not in use, because nobody would memorize arbitrary strings of eight characters

The ABCD-1234 plus 1234-ABCD schemes would provide with about 9000 million combinations in total. In the real life, the usable number space is smaller than the theoretical maximum, because bad words have to be dropped.

Last edited by MattiG; March 7th, 2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: i
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium