daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #33701
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,522
Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's not silly: is uniformity any more necessary in license plates than it is in clothing, haircuts...or European directional signage? You still haven't answered that. Kanadzie and I ask why is this necessary, what's the benefit...point out that the current system doesn't seem to bother anyone.... You didn't want to hear it. Forgive the hell out of me for questioning Your Knowledgableness.

YOU said always. That didn't admit of any exceptions. Any silliness here is in THAT argument; all I did was point it out.
I thought smart guys knew how to read the word "always" without absolutizing. I guess I was wrong.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #33702
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,522
Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
One more thing. I'm less allergic to communism (although...) than I am to being told what to do by know-it-alls six time zones away who are apparently obsessed with making the whole world do everything exactly the way it's done in western Europe. Do you have issues with our electrical outlets and voltage? Our clothes sizing?
I never said I don't like what Americans do. Maybe your electrical outlets are better than Italians. So if they're better, I'm in favor of them being used in Europe and all over the world.
I just had to buy a converter for my upcoming trip to the US... I'd rather have not.

Quote:
One solution to your problem would be, of course, to never leave Italy....
Why are you so negative about this matter? Uniformity is not evil. You won't give up sovereignity, you will not count less in the world. There is very little to be lost.
I don't think that is the issue here, otherwise you would favour each Us state having its own currency, units of measurement and so on. I think you are just afraid of changes.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #33703
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,377
Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
One more thing. I'm less allergic to communism (although...) than I am to being told what to do by know-it-alls six time zones away who are apparently obsessed with making the whole world do everything exactly the way it's done in western Europe. Do you have issues with our electrical outlets and voltage? Our clothes sizing?

One solution to your problem would be, of course, to never leave Italy....
that's pretty much what Communism is though, except they are in your local time zone, because they set the time where you live six hours off what its supposed to (e.g. PRC) so you have to wake up in the dark
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'êtes pas morts de rire !

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #33704
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,807
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
that's pretty much what Communism is though, except they are in your local time zone, because they set the time where you live six hours off what its supposed to (e.g. PRC) so you have to wake up in the dark
It is not six hours in China, but three. China is not that large.

China follows the UTC+8 time. The meridian 120E is the reference meridian of that time zone. The longitude of the westernmost point of China is about 74E. That makes a difference of 3 hours and 4 minutes.

According to that criteria, Spain is at least a half-communist country. The westernmost most point lies 1:40 hours west of the reference meridian 15E. During the daylight savings time, the difference is 2:40 hours, thus almost as much as in China.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #33705
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,460
Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It is not six hours in China, but three. China is not that large.

China follows the UTC+8 time. The meridian 120E is the reference meridian of that time zone. The longitude of the westernmost point of China is about 74E. That makes a difference of 3 hours and 4 minutes.

According to that criteria, Spain is at least a half-communist country. The westernmost most point lies 1:40 hours west of the reference meridian 15E. During the daylight savings time, the difference is 2:40 hours, thus almost as much as in China.
I've read that local people in Western China adopt an unofficial time zone for their daily activities, different to the official Chinese timezone. Otherwise in winter they would have dark until 10 a.m.
Spain belongs to the "wrong" timezone because Franco in the 1930s wanted to align his country with the ideologically similar Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #33706
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,807
Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read that local people in Western China adopt an unofficial time zone for their daily activities, different to the official Chinese timezone. Otherwise in winter they would have dark until 10 a.m.
Spain belongs to the "wrong" timezone because Franco in the 1930s wanted to align his country with the ideologically similar Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy.
The sharpest time zone difference at land borders is at the China-Afghanistan border of 92 km in length: 3.5 hours.

Three zones meet at the Norway-Finland-Russia tripoint.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #33707
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,467
Likes (Received): 1937

I've actually adopted Eastern (USA) time when in AARoads forum. I find weird waking up at 2:00 and going to sleep at 18:00 like I say there. Fortunately here I stick to Central Europe time, the one I have (and one hour ahead of what it should be).
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #33708
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,539
Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I've actually adopted Eastern (USA) time when in AARoads forum. I find weird waking up at 2:00 and going to sleep at 18:00 like I say there. Fortunately here I stick to Central Europe time, the one I have (and one hour ahead of what it should be).
Do you work online or something like that?
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #33709
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,187

Greetings from 10.000 m up in the air, in an Airbus A380
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #33710
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,377
Likes (Received): 748

six mile high club?
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'êtes pas morts de rire !
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #33711
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've read that local people in Western China adopt an unofficial time zone for their daily activities, different to the official Chinese timezone. Otherwise in winter they would have dark until 10 a.m.
Spain belongs to the "wrong" timezone because Franco in the 1930s wanted to align his country with the ideologically similar Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy.
So it's not Communism, but totalitarianism. :-)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #33712
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,467
Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do you work online or something like that?
Hopefully! Now I'm trying to become a programmer.

BTW, your mothers no longer like my posts... But there's something physically unexplainable...
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #33713
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,250
Likes (Received): 781

Enjoying watching the Paris-Nice (bike race)...or the last hour of each stage, which is all they're giving us on TV. It's surprisingly easy to follow on Google Maps exactly where they are.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #33714
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,629
Likes (Received): 19425

Why are the Greens so popular in Baden-Württemberg? Even by German standards a 32% vote share is exceptional.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #33715
MichiH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lower Franconia
Posts: 4,418
Likes (Received): 2083

The voters say it's because of the MP, Mr. Kretschmann. The new Anti-Immigrants/Anti-Euro/Anti-Everything party AfD has got a huge share in all state's where we had state's elections today (Baden-Württemberg 14%, Rheinland-Pfalz 11% and Sachsen-Anhalt 24%). The Greens lost many voters in RP and ST which is contrary to BW where they won voters compared to 2011 when we had Fukushima and Stuttgart21 (rail station project) effect. Merkel's CDU party lost about 3% in RP and ST but 12% in BaWü. It's not (only) because of Merkel but the CDU front-runner in BW is not very popular. SPD lost a lot of voters in BW and ST, each about 10%, but won 1% in RP.
__________________

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; March 13th, 2016 at 09:35 PM.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #33716
volodaaaa
Registered User
 
volodaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 3,244
Likes (Received): 1756

We had general elections week ago. Slovak Green Party ended up with 0,67 %. On the other hand we have fascists in Parliament.
__________________
Been/drove my car in: SK, CZ, D, A, H, PL, I, F, E, RSM, CH, FL, SLO, HR, SRB, BiH, MK, GR, BG, RO

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #33717
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,772
Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
We had general elections week ago. Slovak Green Party ended up with 0,67 %. On the other hand we have fascists in Parliament.
Baden-Württemberg was governed by the Greens in the last years as well. Greens in Germany and especially in Baden-Württemberg are not an environmentalist-extremist party like green parties in several other European countries. Greens in Ba-Wü are a pro-car party (which is very important in the land of Mercedes and Porsche).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #33718
Attus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rheinbach
Posts: 2,772
Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The voters say it's because of the MP, Mr. Kretschmann. (...) the CDU front-runner in BW is not very popular.
Popularity of the Green leader Kretschmann and the CDU (Merkel's party) leader Wolf in Baden-Württemberg. Even CDU-voters like Kretschmann more than their own candidate.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #33719
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,629
Likes (Received): 19425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Greens in Germany and especially in Baden-Württemberg are not an environmentalist-extremist party like green parties in several other European countries. Greens in Ba-Wü are a pro-car party (which is very important in the land of Mercedes and Porsche).
I noticed that as well, the plans submitted to the Bundesverkehrswegeplan by the state of Baden-Württemberg was rather ambitious, they wanted to widen nearly every Autobahn.

And the recent federal policy of Energiewende seems like it was taken right out of the Greens political script.

In the Netherlands the Greens have mostly been a fringe party. They call themselves GreenLeft, putting an emphasis on left-wing politics, but they are not really that different from Labour. Labour often pursues a GreenLeft-like policy to avoid losing voters to that party. GreenLeft has always been somewhat of a fringe party in the Netherlands, currently with 4 out of 150 seats, but they hardly ever poll higher than 10-12 seats. They never participated in a national government, but are more competitive in municipal elections.

I'd classify the Dutch GreenLeft as pragmatic (economy and social-wise) but like Labour, they are in love with symbolic politics and tend to go overboard with environmental politics, pursuing unrealistic deadlines and goals.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #33720
MichiH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lower Franconia
Posts: 4,418
Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Baden-Württemberg was governed by the Greens in the last years as well.
For 5 years. It was governed by CDU/FDP from 1952 to 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Greens in Ba-Wü are a pro-car party (which is very important in the land of Mercedes and Porsche).
I don't agree! They are pragmatic but not pro-car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Popularity of the Green leader Kretschmann and the CDU (Merkel's party) leader Wolf in Baden-Württemberg. Even CDU-voters like Kretschmann more than their own candidate.
Kretschmann supports Merkel's immigrants policy (THE current main topic in Germany), Wolf does not support it. Rheinland-Pfalz MP Dreyer (SPD; who "won" the yesterday's RP election) supports Merkel's immigrants policy, Klöckner (CDU) does not. Sachsen-Anhalt CDU MP Haseloff also supports Merkel's immigrants policy and "won" yesterday's election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed that as well, the plans submitted to the Bundesverkehrswegeplan by the state of Baden-Württemberg was rather ambitious, they wanted to widen nearly every Autobahn.
Correct. They want to widen all EXISTING Autobahns but they don't want to upgrade congested B roads to expressways, build new Autobahns or build bypasses of villages et cetera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
And the recent federal policy of Energiewende seems like it was taken right out of the Greens political script.
The Energiewende law was already passed years ago (after Fukushima).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'd classify the Dutch GreenLeft as pragmatic (economy and social-wise) but like Labour, they are in love with symbolic politics and tend to go overboard with environmental politics, pursuing unrealistic deadlines and goals.
Baden-Württemberg MP Kretschmann is also classified as pragmatic.

I think the Green party won in BaWü because of Kretschmann's popularity, the incompetence of the previous CDU governments (Mappus, Oettinger) and the characterless front-runners of CDU and SPD party.

On the other hand, the BaWü Greens have also symbolic environmental goals like 120 speed limit study, particulate matter alarm (Feinstaubalarm) or plans for wind power plants (BaWü has less wind compared to other states) in nature protection areas or close to housing areas.
__________________

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium