daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:03 PM   #33761
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What was the point of transporting this airplane?
I think it might be a detour of the regular rather complicate routes that Airbus use to deliver parts to its facilities?

I know assemble some stuff in Hamburg, get it by boat to France, then use canals and some side roads to bring them to the Toulouse plant. Regular closures at night are frequent, maybe they were using a different route this time for some reason?

There are big parts coming from UK as well.

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:41 PM   #33762
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:12 AM   #33763
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think it might be a detour of the regular rather complicate routes that Airbus use to deliver parts to its facilities?

I know assemble some stuff in Hamburg, get it by boat to France, then use canals and some side roads to bring them to the Toulouse plant. Regular closures at night are frequent, maybe they were using a different route this time for some reason?

There are big parts coming from UK as well.
The aircraft was being transported to an airport nearby. The airport is operated by a company providing with hangar facilities and long-term storage space for aircrafts out of use.

The standard operating procedure of Airbus is to move the fuselage sections by air. The carrying aircraft is Airbus A300-600ST Beluga. The fuselage arrives at the final assembly line in two parts. Thus, the transport most probably was not related to the production of Airbus but to service or reparation.

Perhaps the transport team wanted the navigator device to find the shortest road?

Suburbanist, Coccodrillo liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:48 AM   #33764
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The aircraft was being transported to an airport nearby. The airport is operated by a company providing with hangar facilities and long-term storage space for aircrafts out of use.

The standard operating procedure of Airbus is to move the fuselage sections by air. The carrying aircraft is Airbus A300-600ST Beluga. The fuselage arrives at the final assembly line in two parts. Thus, the transport most probably was not related to the production of Airbus but to service or reparation.

Perhaps the transport team wanted the navigator device to find the shortest road?
Some more information collected from local papers: The fuselage was on its last trip to be dismantled. The motorway could not be used because of tight toll booth gates. The convoy had faced similar problems in the the town of Auch previous day. The root cause is underestimated space needed at turning points. Thus, an amateurish planning of a special transport.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:53 AM   #33765
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

You'd think they have some experience with that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itin%C..._Grand_Gabarit
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:02 PM   #33766
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You'd think they have some experience with that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itin%C..._Grand_Gabarit
I do not believe this case has anything to do with the Airbus company. More probably, some leasing or insurance company has sold the wreck to a scrapyard operator, and that one has accepted the cheapest transport bid.
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #33767
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

for scrap, why not break down the fuselage into easier transport parts on-site? (like would be for... a building or bridge)
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #33768
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
for scrap, why not break down the fuselage into easier transport parts on-site? (like would be for... a building or bridge)
The fuselage is full of valuable spare parts to resell. The lifecycle of the components is not equal to the lifecycle of the aircraft.
Old April 5th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #33769
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

sure, but not the fuselage itself

somewhat how like those high-volume Japanese auto "dismantlers" just cut the car in half after the dashboard and sell the whole front instead of taking out the engine and selling it seperately...

Old April 5th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #33770
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
sure, but not the fuselage itself

somewhat how like those high-volume Japanese auto "dismantlers" just cut the car in half after the dashboard and sell the whole front instead of taking out the engine and selling it seperately...

A car is not an aircraft. The key thing in the aircracft industry is the traceability of parts. Basically, the history of every bolt and nut must be known. This is achieved by taking service and dismantling actions in hangars part by part, not destroying the parts by cutting the fuselage by a chainsaw under open skies.

This schematic drawing about the head of the A350 perhaps tells that the walls of an aircraft are full of wires, pipes and devices. Do you really think it would be wise to destroy all this technology for the sake of easier transport?

winnipeg liked this post
Old April 5th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #33771
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Greetings from Gruyères, Switzerland
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #33772
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

It's all hole-filled like Gruyere cheese?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #33773
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I don't know, but fondue was awesome.

I liked very much the HR Giger museum... I'd like to buy an Alien statue at the shop but the cheapest was 2900 CHF... :O
Old April 6th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #33774
nastyaheyyo

Likes (Received): 6

But what is that special technology ? A paint from local store ?
nastyaheyyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #33775
CNGL
Leudimin

Have you wondered what happened to certain painting an old woman 'restored' back in 2012 with funny results? Don't worry, last Sunday returning from the forests of Soria province I decided to check it out. Now prepare for...

The return of Ecce Homo!

Its Wikipedia article got nominated for deletion a few days ago (on April fools' day) because 'it is better whited out'. I feel it was the wrong day for that, it should have got nominated on 28 December instead.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

g.spinoza, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #33776
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Greetings from Madrid
Old April 7th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #33777
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

so they really left the botched restoration work in place? I thought they'd have employed proper restoration technicians to fix the issue.
Old April 7th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #33778
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Okay, guys; this is satire:

http://www.theonion.com/article/depa...d-bumper-52699

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #33779
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
It's all hole-filled like Gruyere cheese?
Swiss Gruyère cheese doesn't have holes: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C3%A8re_suisse

The French one have them: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C..._fran%C3%A7ais

The Swiss cheese with holes is the Emmentaler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_cheese (and its clones: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_%28homonymie%29)

Also in Italian something with holes is compared to the gruyère cheese, although the original one doesn't have holes.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #33780
CNGL
Leudimin

As promised, I've returned to the bar where I drank a bottle of Pilsner Urquell and ordered one of Budejovicky a.k.a. Budweiser, the real one and not that American piss (a better descriptive word for that).

Tags
highways, motorways