daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #33781
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Swiss Gruyčre cheese doesn't have holes: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C3%A8re_suisse

The French one have them: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C..._fran%C3%A7ais

The Swiss cheese with holes is the Emmentaler: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_cheese (and its clones: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_%28homonymie%29)

Also in Italian something with holes is compared to the gruyčre cheese, although the original one doesn't have holes.

The french gruyčre is better!!

The same for emmental!!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #33782
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I've done the Zaragoza-Huesca trip hundreds of times, either by car, by bus or by train. In a few days (exactly on the night of 22-23 April) I'll be doing it again, but this time without using any machine . I'll be hiking the entire 75 km route, along with many others, in a annual hiking event called 'Jorgeada', the longest such event entirely within Aragon (there's a longer one that starts and ends in Aragon but crosses into Castile and Leon).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Attus liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #33783
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

A Romanian van driver in Italy had discovered a method to avoid paying our expensive motorway tolls. When passing through a toll booth, he used to tailgate another vehicle and pass through quickly before the bar closes again. This worked until... he tailgated and undercover police car through Palmanova toll booth and got immediatly arrested.
Aparently he, and other two guy who travelled in the same van, saved around 6000€ in 8 months with that trick.
http://www.udinetoday.it/cronaca/tru...i-polizia.html
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

piotr71 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #33784
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

This is something he definitely did not discover. People are doing that all the time
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #33785
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This is something he definitely did not discover. People are doing that all the time
Yes, once in a while a such episode makes local news. But it's risky, considering the video surveillance at toll booths, and the chance of the driver behind you to write down your plate and report you. Actually I'm surprised that he did it hundreds of times before being caught (and only because he had police in front of him).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #33786
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
A Romanian van driver in Italy had discovered a method to avoid paying our expensive motorway tolls. When passing through a toll booth, he used to tailgate another vehicle and pass through quickly before the bar closes again. This worked until... he tailgated and undercover police car through Palmanova toll booth and got immediatly arrested.
Aparently he, and other two guy who travelled in the same van, saved around 6000€ in 8 months with that trick.
http://www.udinetoday.it/cronaca/tru...i-polizia.html
This is something very comon with tolls, in France a lot of people used to do this way (because our poor politicians sold our motorways to private companies and they make a lot of money from users )..... until 2013 when private motorways companies gain access to all the informations about drivers (and licence plates) and can easily send them fine at home...
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:20 AM   #33787
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It is exceedingly curious how France did that despite its kind of dirigiste / etatiste mentality in everything there.
meanwhile inventor of capitalism England... motorways all untolled (OK aside from some bridge and the M6 Toll...)

Penn's Woods, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #33788
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is exceedingly curious how France did that despite its kind of dirigiste / etatiste mentality in everything there.
meanwhile inventor of capitalism England... motorways all untolled (OK aside from some bridge and the M6 Toll...)
Just some poor and corrupted politicians (Dominique de Villepin in 2006), who had prefered his own avantages over national interest and/or quick cashflow over making good choices for the future of our country like a politician should do...

Now some reports are saying that we are loosing 1 billion Euro each year in comparison with when highways were public owned..... and other reports showed that their selling price has been lower than it should be...

Such a big scandal for me...
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #33789
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yes, once in a while a such episode makes local news. But it's risky, considering the video surveillance at toll booths, and the chance of the driver behind you to write down your plate and report you. Actually I'm surprised that he did it hundreds of times before being caught (and only because he had police in front of him).
It happened to me a couple of years ago, at the toll booth at the beginning of A32... a young lady on a new 500...

They started very recently putting "beware! Toll payment control" on variable message panels along motorways...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #33790
CNGL
Leudimin

I've found again the Big Rig Travels YouTube channel someone mentioned some years ago. He is now on I-90 approaching the I-94 interchange near Tomah, Wisconsin en route to Wisconsin Rapids. I expect him to arrive sometime after 11:00 CDT (18:00 CEST).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old April 15th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #33791
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

I once had a problem on A4 (Italy), it was late at night (around 1.00), I stopped my car close to the card machine, and just as I was paying the toll a fast-paced heavy-motorcycle zipped by, almost collecting my right mirror in the process. It scared my because the rider came blasting his horn and just drove away. Then I had to wait couple minutes while talking on the intercom with the toll operator so they'd remotely open the gate (which turned down as soon as the motorbike crossed).

I also had an instance where somebody tailgated me on an exit-toll on A14, early in the morning this time around. I noticed this car driving very close to me, foreign plates for sure, I made a sudden last-moment lane change (I had ample view of what was going on behind me) and the other vehicle scratched the barrier as it was too late for them to follow me. I was a car with tinted windows, I was a bit nervous about them wanting to further harass me on the main boulevard of the city in question, so I just quickly took a couple turns to lose them.
Old April 16th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #33792
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Czech Republic / Czechia

I guess the Czech thread should be renamed soon, shouldn't it: Czechs agree to be 'Czechia' as catchy alternative ; Czech Republic’s leaders settle on official short name for country and await cabinet and United Nations approval?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_o...ion_of_Czechia

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #33793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

I like Czechia

It's similar to what many European languages already use. In Dutch it is Tsjechië (Č becomes 'tsj' phonetically in Dutch) though many incorrectly spell it as 'Tjechië', I've even seen it happen with official government publications.

Czechia shouldn't be too weird in English. It's new - but not weird - as there already is Russia or Austria or Georgia. The 'cz'-part is not new anyway, as it is already used when talking about the Czech Republic.

I wouldn't worry too much about people confusing it with Chechnya. You can't account for all ignorant people. There are many more countries with similar names (i.e. Niger/Nigeria, Zambia/Gambia, Mali/Malawi, Iraq/Iran, India/Indonesia etc.)

Very few countries do not have a short form available. Off the top off my head I can only think of the Central African Republic and the Dominican Republic (not to be confused with Dominica which is a different country!) And perhaps the United Kingdom, even when it is often reffered to as 'Britain' or by each constituency ('England' appears to be used often as a synonym for the whole UK).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #33794
CNGL
Leudimin

Democratic Republic of the Congo and Republic of the Congo. Just 'Congo' would lead to confusion. Bring back Zaire! I also confuse Monaco and Indonesia.

The use of 'England' as a synonym for the whole UK is akin to that of 'Holland' when referring to the Netherlands, it's like calling all of Spain 'Castile'.
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #33795
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like Czechia

It's similar to what many European languages already use. In Dutch it is Tsjechië (Č becomes 'tsj' phonetically in Dutch) though many incorrectly spell it as 'Tjechië', I've even seen it happen with official government publications.

Czechia shouldn't be too weird in English. It's new - but not weird - as there already is Russia or Austria or Georgia. The 'cz'-part is not new anyway, as it is already used when talking about the Czech Republic.

I wouldn't worry too much about people confusing it with Chechnya. You can't account for all ignorant people. There are many more countries with similar names (i.e. Niger/Nigeria, Zambia/Gambia, Mali/Malawi, Iraq/Iran, India/Indonesia etc.)

Very few countries do not have a short form available. Off the top off my head I can only think of the Central African Republic and the Dominican Republic (not to be confused with Dominica which is a different country!) And perhaps the United Kingdom, even when it is often reffered to as 'Britain' or by each constituency ('England' appears to be used often as a synonym for the whole UK).
Austria\Australia, Slovenia\Slovakia, Ireland\Iceland
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #33796
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Czechs can only determine the Czech name, but who is competent for the English name?

Penn's Woods liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #33797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

It has to be slowly implemented in English usage. Usually name changes are not picked up overnight, but far more radical name changes have been adopted in the past (Rhodesia > Zimbabwe, Siam > Thailand, Yugoslavia > Serbia, Leningrad > St. Petersburg etc.) while others have not been successful (Côte d'Ivoire in English usage or the Myanmar / Burma dispute).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #33798
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Czechs can only determine the Czech name, but who is competent for the English name?
Actually the Czech government published English and French names as well (Czechia and Tchéquie respectively) and in some other languages, too. Of course they can not force other nations to use those names.
(The Czech version is Česko, by the way).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #33799
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

What's the German version of the Czech government, Tschechien?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #33800
bigic
(-_-) -<>- ♂♂

Likes (Received): 136

In Serbian the name is "Češka republika", and the short form is " Češka".
bigic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways